Author Topic: Murph's Shifter Bearing Kit  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Murph's Shifter Bearing Kit
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
I'm sure this has been talked about a bunch of times before, but I wanted to post this to give props to Murph for not only the kit but for the product support as well. Wish he had a review spot on his website.
I made a bush-league error and forgot to press out the sleeve, and mistakenly thought the kit would not fit. I emailed in the evening and had a response the next day.
I had some pretty good grease on the OEM setup and figured I was doing pretty good with that. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical, but I figured it was a low-cost investment for some potential improvement. Well, all I can say is the shifting is smooth as butta. Feels like it drops into gear on its own - never felt so good!
So if you're on the fence, for the $20 you'll pay, you'll be thanking yourself that you did. And if you have any install questions, Murph's folks will follow up quickly and then again to see if it all worked for you. Hard to beat that.

Stay safe, healthy and Virus-free...(I hear if you're ripping down a nice back road on the 2-wheeled magnificence that is the Concours 14, COVID-19 can't catch you ... 8) )
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Murph's Shifter Bearing Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »
I'm sure this has been talked about a bunch of times before

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=711

Well, all I can say is the shifting is smooth as butta. Feels like it drops into gear on its own - never felt so good!

yep!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
As I said in a previous review many eons ago....I couldn't tell the difference.  It's definitely an upgrade in how it's made vs Kaw but it didn't do anything for me.  YMMV.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
As I said in a previous review many eons ago....I couldn't tell the difference.  It's definitely an upgrade in how it's made vs Kaw but it didn't do anything for me.  YMMV.

The difference in experience probably dependeds on how much wear (or no wear) one had/has in the original plastic sleeve before it was/is replaced.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
That could be it, Max.  From what I recall, I didn't see much wear at all on mine.  It was definitely less sloppy in the shifter itself.  I just couldn't feel it through my foot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
That could be it, Max.  From what I recall, I didn't see much wear at all on mine.  It was definitely less sloppy in the shifter itself.  I just couldn't feel it through my foot.

Mine was pretty sloppy.  Could be the way it wore, the environment, they way I used it, or perhaps there was a production change or change in the quality of the plastic used in different years.  Hard to say.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »
Bumping up an older topic:

I recently bought and installed one of Murph's shifters on one of my C14s - at roughly the 13.5k mark. The original bushing was still in pretty decent shape, so I didn't notice a big difference in feel.

I expect to not notice any difference in feel at 100k+, which is why I installed the setup - one less wear item to eventually have to deal with.