Author Topic: Nasty Snatch  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Pillow

Nasty Snatch
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
My 07 has a bit of a on/ off thing going on, just off of idle.  I've had a Shudabeen flash, which has made the bike almost perfectly fuelled.  It's just the low speed snatchiness.

Is it possible the secondary butterflies have been removed, and their loss is responsible for my low speed fuelling woes?  Is there a way to tell if they are present, without stripping the bike down?

Thoughts?  Advice?

Many thanks chaps, Nick

Offline chi-gpz1100

Re: Nasty Snatch
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »
Do you have much free play in the throttle?  That can result in snatch too.  I prefer my throttle tight - with relatively no free play.  Makes the off/on transitions smoother (to me).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »
My 07

No such thing.  You must have a 2008 model (first model year).

has a bit of a on/ off thing going on, just off of idle.  I've had a Shudabeen flash, which has made the bike almost perfectly fuelled. It's just the low speed snatchiness.

As Chi pointed out, this is almost always due to throttle play needing to be adjusted.  It takes only about 60 seconds to do.  I find it needs adjustment at least every few years.

Is it possible the secondary butterflies have been removed, and their loss is responsible for my low speed fuelling woes?

You shouldn't have the bike flashed if the secondaries are removed....  controlling the secondary butterflies is 95% of what the flash does.  If the flies were removed, you would notice almost no difference before and after the flash... otherwise, the change is dramatic.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
Click bait... >:(  :rotflmao:

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
No such thing.  You must have a 2008 model (first model year).

You do know there are other countries ... right?  ;)
OP hasn't given a location and some places did indeed get 07 models.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
..........built in 07 but advertised 2008MY (model year) down here - everything's a year older than what the salesperson says.   :o

But all this is :offtopic:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »
I saw the title and thought this was a post about my ex wife?!?!

As was mentioned earlier I'd check throttle cables as the first/easiest/cheapest fix.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »
Location is Uk and they do refer to the bike as an 07 at times.  Keep calm, and carry on.

As for the OP, throttle tamers do help.  It helped me for sure.  Also make sure that there is the correct amount of free play in the throttle as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 12:10:47 AM »
..........built in 07 but advertised 2008MY (model year) down here - everything's a year older than what the salesperson says.   :o

Everything with vehicles is communicated by model year, not when it was actually made or purchased.  The annoying thing is the release of the next "model year" earlier and earlier, as if consumers are that stupid.  Kawasaki is pretty consistent, though (sticking pretty close to Sept/Oct).

There is nothing correct about calling a 2008 Concours a "2007."  Huge and minor changes in model year versions will cause major confusion with what was actually purchased (and what features it has, what specs, what parts).   If there is ever any question, the VIN puts it to rest (since the model year is encoded in it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#Vehicle_identifier_section

So while it might be OK to say "I bought it in 2007" when referring to a 2008, it is not correct to say "I have a 2007" or "My 2007" (as the OP did; regardless of where).  There are times semantics matter a lot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pillow

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 04:43:21 AM »
Hi all

Thank you all so much for your replies.  Very informative.  I think as much as anything, I wondered if my bike had the flies- I am planning on a full service in Spring, but can't take the bike off the road as it's my 'daily drive'.

My bike is registered on 1st August 2007 and I'm in England

The title was intentional :)

I've adjusted the cables and idle speed.  Have stuff to do, so wont test it until my commute tomorrow, but I think it will make a big difference.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 04:44:46 AM »
ZG1400 aka in the US -Concours- started as a 2007 model in Europe.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/gtr1400/2007/

It is very easy to check for secondary throttle plates. Remove seat...then gas tank...Remove inspection plates. 10 minutes maybe total. You can see the two inspection plates in this picture
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/fuel-tank-removal-39649/
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Pillow

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
It is very easy to check for secondary throttle plates. Remove seat...then gas tank...Remove inspection plates. 10 minutes maybe total.

Ok.  Much easier than I thought.  I would like to know, so I can restore them if they're not there.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 04:54:25 AM »
Yes..Mine were missing. I had to buy a whole throttle body set off eBay because  the plates and screws are not sold separately. They are cheap on ebay. Any year will work
my bike was extremely snatchy without them
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 06:15:29 AM »
I've adjusted the cables and idle speed.  Have stuff to do, so wont test it until my commute tomorrow, but I think it will make a big difference.

Hopefully that will do the trick.  On mine, it does.  The C-14 is already very "snatchy", natively/stock, which is why I first installed a "Throttle Tamer" (which was perfect).   But the Shoodabeen flash also addresses "snatch", so now mine is a little over-corrected (whatever one would call the opposite of "snatchy."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
Hopefully that will do the trick.  On mine, it does.  The C-14 is already very "snatchy", natively/stock, which is why I first installed a "Throttle Tamer" (which was perfect).   But the Shoodabeen flash also addresses "snatch", so now mine is a little over-corrected (whatever one would call the opposite of "snatchy."
cocky?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 06:52:20 AM »
LOL..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »
Location is Uk and they do refer to the bike as an 07 at times.  Keep calm, and carry on.

As for the OP, throttle tamers do help.  It helped me for sure.  Also make sure that there is the correct amount of free play in the throttle as well.

That reminded me of some funny coasters that my wife just bought.

Tut, tut,....language my dear friend. (the management)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:55:16 AM by VirginiaJim »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 07:31:45 AM »
cocky?

OMG
I supposed I asked for that...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »
Hi all

Thank you all so much for your replies.  Very informative.  I think as much as anything, I wondered if my bike had the flies- I am planning on a full service in Spring, but can't take the bike off the road as it's my 'daily drive'.

My bike is registered on 1st August 2007 and I'm in England

The title was intentional :)

My '08 was purchased here in the USA on 7/7/07, but both the title, and registration for plates, describe the model year as 2008.
Furthermore, if you go to the Kawasaki website, and research parts; and input a model year of 2007.... you will find there is no Concours model listed; either C10, or C14... just to clarify.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »
Let's use this scenario so we are all talking about the same nasty bits.

You're sitting at a red light astride your Gen II C14 in a left turn lane (US, right turn lane UK etc) behind a Prius (why not) ..anyway...the protected left turn arrow turns green
and the car in front of you goes into the turn...as the car is in the middle of the intersection you take off behind it...
just as the Prius is entering the lane of the cross street it brakes and decides to go slowly fade to the right so it can enter the corner gas station.
You don't have to brake, but you do have to close the throttle to avoid rear ending the Prius, ...finally the Prius is out of the way and you add a little
throttle...when Nasty Snatch.  Now in this scenario you aren't going very fast (you're behind a Prius remember)
and you are still in first gear and slightly banked for the slow turn, so you don't add a whole lot of throttle, just enough to continue.

I've had all three flashes* (4 if you count the OEM factory flash; 5 if you count eco mode {or whatever max' wants to insist on calling it ::)}), I've had my throttle adjusted per the owner's manual,
 and I have it as Steve said to adjust it where it has no play at all....and in the above scenario there has been no change...ever. It always does it. Now with over 90,000 miles on my bike it could be
that I have excessive drive line wear, however my C14 has done this since new in 2011. No I haven't tried a throttle tamer, but I think I can simulate one by being extra careful and gradually
 adding throttle which I have tried and got nasty snatch regardless.  Frankly I give up, it's just going to stay nasty. I still love the bike anyway and I like two of the 3 after market flashes (I'm not getting
 into the which is better wars, let's leave that on the other forum where it belongs) but none of them solved this problem.
Before someone says all bikes do that, my Dr650 doesn't, maybe all shaft drives do that as I've only owned one of those.

* Guhl; Steve's Decel; Ivan's