Author Topic: radiator guard/screen  (Read 12789 times)

Offline gnuse

radiator guard/screen
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
I am considering a radiator guard after looking at the expanse of finned aluminum behind the front wheel.

The ones I have seen on the suppliers on this site appear to be somewhat like "expanded metal". Maybe they are effective and have saved someone's radiator from damage. That is why I ask.

I noticed that Beowulf in England makes one that appears to be cut from an aluminum sheet. I would think that would be less suseptable to pentration, but again, I am asking for the experience of those on the forum.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: radiator guard/screen
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »
I bought some gutter guard from Lowes and it has worked well for the past 30,000 miles.  Total investment was 10 bucks and about 20 mintes of trimming and fitting.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Excavator

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
I bought some gutter guard from Lowes and it has worked well for the past 30,000 miles.  Total investment was 10 bucks and about 20 mintes of trimming and fitting.

How did you attach it? I have a fender extender but would still like a radiator guard. Thanks.

Glynn

Offline kman311

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
I made a radiator guard out of .030" stainless steel sheet.  I needed some programming practice on a turret and panel bender so decided to make something I could use. Made one with .125" spacing and another with .0625" between .25" squares.  Added a couple mounting holes at the top and a slight bend which rests on the inside of the lower fairing. Both guards seam to be very strong.  If anyone wants one let me know and I will make up a couple more.

Offline SonnyC

• Live long and enjoy life to its' fullest.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
I installed a Cox radiator guard before my 9000 Mile round trio to Alaska.  It was a life saver because a good portion of the road at the "AlCan: and Cassiar Highway was loose gravel due to highway construction and maintenance.  Once back home I had to wash my bike three times just to remove all the mud, muck, sand and small gravel lodge in all crevices including the bottom portion of the radiator. 

Hope this helps.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
I made a radiator guard out of .030" stainless steel sheet.  I needed some programming practice on a turret and panel bender so decided to make something I could use. Made one with .125" spacing and another with .0625" between .25" squares.  Added a couple mounting holes at the top and a slight bend which rests on the inside of the lower fairing. Both guards seam to be very strong.  If anyone wants one let me know and I will make up a couple more.

You've piqued my interest.  Do the mounting holes line up to a preexisting mounting spot?  Does it attach at the bottom at all?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline gnuse

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
Very nice work. Nothing like talent meeting the right tools. That looks very much like what I would expect. How did you fasten it? Now that you have it on your bike would you change any dimensions, etc.?
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
I've been hearing about this product. Aside the radiator product, I've heard about multiple items to prevent bags from flying off, paint protection for tank, side of the bike and bags, even expensive headlight protection, and a plethora of other things.

My bike has been going naked for > 45,000 miles, some of which have been off road on gravel in the TN/NC mountains and hell in the desert.  Its in great shape and has never had a radiator or any other issue.

It's the mad pow-ah of KiPass, its amazing!  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kman311

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
The guard that I mentioned above is held in place at the top with zip ties around the tabs of the radiator.  The bottom just rests on the lower fairing.  I have had the guard in place for about 5000 miles with no movement.  I could also make it with round holes instead of the sqaures if required.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
You only need the guard five seconds before the rock hits it. Otherwise, its wasted space and money. If your rad never gets hit, you did not need one.

Having said that, and havign fixed and filled a rad on a trail (filled with urine) I run one whenever I can. Blues extender helps as well.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
I got the ProjektD one because it's black and looks much better IMO than the silver/grey color of the radiator, the added protection is just a bonus...  8)

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39_47&products_id=62

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:57:56 AM »
I installed a Cox radiator guard before my 9000 Mile round trio to Alaska.  It was a life saver because a good portion of the road at the "AlCan: and Cassiar Highway was loose gravel due to highway construction and maintenance.  Once back home I had to wash my bike three times just to remove all the mud, muck, sand and small gravel lodge in all crevices including the bottom portion of the radiator. 

Hope this helps.

+1 on the Cox guard.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »
anyone knows how come cox radiator guards are listed as "2006-2010" and "2011"? i thought the radiator for C14 have the same part number for year 2008 right up to 2012?
tried emailing Cox's email (as listed on their site) 2 days ago, but no one's replying.

i've used Cox radiator guard for my two previous bikes, they did their job well enough that i'm interested in getting one for my C14. i usually use thick copper wires (for electric motor windings) to tie up the top of the guard. i'm a bit paranoid about zip ties melting or softening in the heat, and the copper is soft enough to twist it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
tried emailing Cox's email (as listed on their site) 2 days ago, but no one's replying.

If you ordered the ProjektD one you'd probably have it at your door by now, those guys have really fast order processing and shipping...  :thumbs:

Offline Hamsters00

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
anyone knows how come cox radiator guards are listed as "2006-2010" and "2011"? i thought the radiator for C14 have the same part number for year 2008 right up to 2012?
The Cox Radiator guard for 2006-2010 will fit on the 2011, as I did install one on mine.   Fit up was no problem, I did have to add a few washers as shims on the lower mount to move it over slightly but that was it.

Hamster
Hamster
C14
'00 - C10 traded up
'86 - C10 traded up

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
How did you attach it? I have a fender extender but would still like a radiator guard. Thanks.

Glynn
The radiator has perimeter trim that the gutter guard edges fit into perfectly. Cut the guard just right and it is a perfect snug fit, no fasteners required. I bought mine from Home Depot for less than $8 bucks and isntalled in 19 minutes. It has been in place for 60,000 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Excavator

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
The radiator has perimeter trim that the gutter guard edges fit into perfectly. Cut the guard just right and it is a perfect snug fit, no fasteners required. I bought mine from Home Depot for less than $8 bucks and isntalled in 19 minutes. It has been in place for 60,000 miles.

Thanks lather, to Home Depot I go.  :thumbs:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
Thanks lather, to Home Depot I go.  :thumbs:
Detailed instructions were on the old forum, they are probably lost now so here is what I remember. You need two sections of guard which are about 6 inches wide and 36 inces long. Cut each to length to fit snug and spring tension created by the curvature will hold them in place, one on top of the other. There was an exact length to cut but I cannot remember it. Maybe Jeremy will. Jeremy?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
I don't remember how long mine ended up being, I got a rough measurement and trimmed it down a little bit more to make sure it fit just like you described, Lather.  Very easy to do and if there are a couple other C14 riders in the area you could probably do four or five bikes with one, eight dollar package.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
+1 for ProjectD. Easy Install, fast delivery, looks good in black