Author Topic: radiator guard/screen  (Read 12788 times)

Offline ZedHed

Re: radiator guard/screen
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
Detailed instructions were on the old forum, they are probably lost now so here is what I remember. You need two sections of guard which are about 6 inches wide and 36 inces long. Cut each to length to fit snug and spring tension created by the curvature will hold them in place, one on top of the other. There was an exact length to cut but I cannot remember it.

I did the same one that was detailed on the old server/site and it works perfect.  The tension of the curvature of the expanded metal holds it in place.  There are two pieces of gutter cover that are 15" long and are installed horizontally across the radiator to perfectly cover all vulnerable areas and I spent $3.95 on the materials.  The material is aluminum expanded metal and I fit it into the small seam on the outside of the radiator.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Excavator

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Are you guys refering to the all metal guard or the plastic with wire mesh? I only found white and brown in the plastic variety at home depot and of course I needed black.

Guess I need a pic.  :o

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gnuse

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
Are you guys refering to the all metal guard or the plastic with wire mesh? I only found white and brown in the plastic variety at home depot and of course I needed black.

Guess I need a pic.  :o

Plastic isn't going to stop anything that I am worried about. I was trying to find out how thick the metal needed to be. I was hoping a "survivor" would tell us their experience.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline misterd

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
anyone knows how come cox radiator guards are listed as "2006-2010" and "2011"? i thought the radiator for C14 have the same part number for year 2008 right up to 2012?
tried emailing Cox's email (as listed on their site) 2 days ago, but no one's replying.

i've used Cox radiator guard for my two previous bikes, they did their job well enough that i'm interested in getting one for my C14. i usually use thick copper wires (for electric motor windings) to tie up the top of the guard. i'm a bit paranoid about zip ties melting or softening in the heat, and the copper is soft enough to twist it.
use two tywraps

Offline misterd

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
I dont care for the cox simply becuse you have to tywrap it on. the projktd seems to be the best i have researched so far. as far as the gutter material goes. i appears to lay right on the radiator with no seperation, not sure if that will really offer much protection if you took a good size object but the price is certainly right. projktd is pricey, but what isn't these days.

elp_jc

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Finally ready to install both the fender extender and radiator screen from ProjektD. Ordered the latter without the inner screen and laser holes, to install fiberglass screening myself. Anyway, did a screen fit first, and was immediately disappointed at the fit. It goes INSIDE the radiator edges, blocking fin area all around. In total it's blocking about 52 sq. inches by my estimation. The fiberglass screening (just like the honeycomb material it comes with) also blocks a little (common sense). Fiberglass screening has never made a difference in any of my vehicles, but I've never blocked the radiators at all. Since I live in very hot TX, and like to travel fast, I'm a bit concerned this thing might make the engine run hotter. Hopefully I can hear from a desert rat with personal experience with it 8). Will proceed with the installation of the screening (very time consuming), and also installation of the surround once finished. But would like to know if it's going to be a problem in hot weather. At the first valve inspection, will probably just wrap the radiator once removed and sell this thing. But I'm years away from that (just 70 miles on the clock now :o), so plan to use it until then if it's not going to be an issue. Thank you in advance for your help folks.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »
Lived with my 14 in the Valley of the Sun for 3 years, as a daily driver, and never had an overheating issue. Period.   ;)
ProjektD rad. guard, as they sell it, with "Concours14" cutout and fender extender.

Now in swampy FL  :'(  and still no issues. 
Change the coolant every two years and make sure the hose clamps are tight.   :)   
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

elp_jc

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
Lived with my 14 in the Valley of the Sun for 3 years, as a daily driver, and never had an overheating issue. Period.   ;) ProjektD rad. guard, as they sell it, with "Concours14" cutout and fender extender.
Thanks a lot for the testimonial brother; appreciate it. Will do the install today, and have the bike ready for its first trip in a few weeks. Have a great weekend.

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
For anyone who might find this and wonder how long the guard should be cut, it's a hair more than 14.5 inches
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon