Author Topic: Quick Question About Canyon Cages Install  (Read 9869 times)

Offline nico

Quick Question About Canyon Cages Install
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
Does this look right? As was written in the instructions, I verified that about 5/8" worth of threaded rod protruded from the opening, but as you can see, after fully tightening the nut, there's still about 1/4" from the outer surface of the nut to the end of the rod.

Offline r2t2

Re: Quick Question About Canyon Cages Install
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
You have to make sure the bolt head (on the right side bars) is fully seated per instructions... The cavity on the right side bar is meant to hold the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut. As stated in the instructions try and rotate the bolt. I used a 3/8" ratchet extension and tapped the bolt with it until it gets fully seated. Once tightened you should only have a couple of threads showing.

I hope this helps.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »
Also, the addition of the washer at that location (which you appear to have installed on yours) will also reduce the distance the step nut grabs the rod.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
I wondered about that too, one of my buddies commented on it as well, works as designed I believe.

And you thought only software had known flaws.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »
Anyone else with more threads showing? 

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
That is about how mine looks give or take a thread.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »
Anyone else with more threads showing?

I'll let you know after tomorrow morn.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline nico

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Well, as luck would have it, I came across another Connie with Canyon Cages in a parking lot. I went over to it and inspected the nut, and it looked identical to mine. So we're either both wrong or we're both right.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »
This is how it should look if done properly (keep in mind this photo was taken without the washer):

When putting that long bolt through the bike, you need to twist it so it sits entirely into its saddle. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. Essentially you put the bolt all the way in, then twist it, and it should go in another half inch or so.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
Well, I will try and keep this brief.   I decided to take the nut off and try to rotate the bolt, did not happen.   You guessed it, the right cage had it binding due to the angle.  That left me with two options, remove the tupperware or loosen the bolts through the vents.  I was fortunate to use a swivel and get them loose enough to allow the bolt to be pushed through.  I rotated the bolt and pushed again and same threads showing.  Inside the right canyon is a lip that stops the head of the bolt from going through. (wish it was a larger lip because only the points on the bolt head are keeping it from going through, looks like an exact size washer would help but this would allow even less threads to be engaged on the left side)  I measured that depth minus the head thickness and the bolt is inserted as far as possible and the canyon is in the hole pressing up against the bike.  I deducted the bolt is seated as far as it will go.  As stated the hex shape on the shoulder's bolt keeps it from spinning when tightening so that verifies it is properly installed.  I torqued it to 44 ft/lb and my bike looks just like the one posted in the initial part of the thread.  If anyone has less threads showing I am guessing they are using more than 44 ft/lb.  I can tighten it more but do not want to risk any problems.  I look forward to other replies with much interest.   I spoke to Ryan who was helpful.  I suggested using a head like the factory bolt to allow turning while in the channel of the canyon cage.  Also it appears that the nuts are different between Ryan's photo and ours posted above.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:57:35 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:59 AM »
Thanks for taking the time do check all that out and posting the pics Alpha. I'll be doing the same thing this morning.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline fsr402

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
Hope when mine ships out they have gone to a 10mm longer bolt.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
Thanks for taking the time do check all that out and posting the pics Alpha. I'll be doing the same thing this morning.

Good deal...looking forward to your results.

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
I don't think you will have any problem unless you actually need to use the cage for what it was designed for. i think the bolt will snap the first time it has any stress. It sure looks like the bolt is too short. A proper bolted connection should have about three threads showing when torqued down. Believe me I didn't get to be a certified jake-leg class 3 mokanic without doing this to  many bolts and have them brake.

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
er, break.  :-[

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
I almost (ugly story) put mine on but had to stop because they will not fit with a Rostra CC actuator mounted under the left fairing. But I did get the bars themselves installed and the threaded shaft ended up similar to yours although maybe another turn or turn and a half deeper. Then again, I did not install the washer so that might make a very small difference.

The spacer that goes on the left hand side of the engine mounting bolt is not symmetrical, and the counter bored side has to face out to get the nut on the stud as far as possible.

While the threads do not come all the way out to the end of the nut, it is not a conventional nut and has a long, threaded shoulder that also engages the bolt. So it is not imperative that the stud reach all the way through the nut in this case because the nut is so much longer than a conventional flat nut.

As far as the stud being all the way into the frame, if it hangs up on the hex it will be quite short and I do not think you could even start the nut on the other end. So the hex must be timed correctly to even assemble everything I believe.

Brian

Well, I will try and keep this brief.   I decided to take the nut off and try to rotate the bolt, did not happen.   You guessed it, the right cage had it binding due to the angle.  That left me with two options, remove the tupperware or loosen the bolts through the vents.  I was fortunate to use a swivel and get them loose enough to allow the bolt to be pushed through.  I rotated the bolt and pushed again and same threads showing.  Inside the right canyon is a lip that stops the head of the bolt from going through. (wish it was a larger lip because only the points on the bolt head are keeping it from going through, looks like an exact size washer would help but this would allow even less threads to be engaged on the left side)  I measured that depth minus the head thickness and the bolt is inserted as far as possible and the canyon is in the hole pressing up against the bike.  I deducted the bolt is seated as far as it will go.  As stated the hex shape on the shoulder's bolt keeps it from spinning when tightening so that verifies it is properly installed.  I torqued it to 44 ft/lb and my bike looks just like the one posted in the initial part of the thread.  If anyone has less threads showing I am guessing they are using more than 44 ft/lb.  I can tighten it more but do not want to risk any problems.  I look forward to other replies with much interest.   I spoke to Ryan who was helpful.  I suggested using a head like the factory bolt to allow turning while in the channel of the canyon cage.  Also it appears that the nuts are different between Ryan's photo and ours posted above.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »
I checked and rechecked the orientation of the spacer and now I am wondering.  I know there are enough threads holding it considering the length of the nut.  I loosened the nut a few times and used a screwdriver to assist with getting the shoulder on the nut to countersink in the bore, still I dunno.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 06:56:05 AM »
I almost (ugly story) put mine on but had to stop because they will not fit with a Rostra CC actuator mounted under the left fairing. But I did get the bars themselves installed and the threaded shaft ended up similar to yours although maybe another turn or turn and a half deeper. Then again, I did not install the washer so that might make a very small difference.

The spacer that goes on the left hand side of the engine mounting bolt is not symmetrical, and the counter bored side has to face out to get the nut on the stud as far as possible.

While the threads do not come all the way out to the end of the nut, it is not a conventional nut and has a long, threaded shoulder that also engages the bolt. So it is not imperative that the stud reach all the way through the nut in this case because the nut is so much longer than a conventional flat nut.

As far as the stud being all the way into the frame, if it hangs up on the hex it will be quite short and I do not think you could even start the nut on the other end. So the hex must be timed correctly to even assemble everything I believe.

Brian

What Brian said above. There's plenty of threads making contact between the step nut and the treaded rod. I did use the washer for my install.