Author Topic: Took off the Canyon Cages  (Read 8046 times)

Offline Slideways

Took off the Canyon Cages
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
Took off the rear MCE cages for the bags because I have been splitting lanes far more then I like and the girl is wide at the back. This meant the cages had to come off as well if the rear was going to be any nearrower. I know, I know, the rear is narrower then the mirrors but sometimes you're just getting past someone and you have to squeeze over a bit before you are comletely clear and the bags could tag something. The CHP officer I talk to on occasion told me that is why they have very skinny bags. Hate the way the bike looks sans bags but love the added view in the mirrors and don't miss the occasional tag-the-bag-with-the-boot either.

Soooo... Suggestions as to what might add protection at the back with the rear cages?
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Took off the Canyon Cages
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Top-Block rear wheel sliders would help some.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
I could never lose my rear bags.... far, far too important to me.   We will NEVER be allowed to lane split out East, but even if we were, if my rear bags were the limiting factor, I would NEVER feel comfortable splitting in such a narrow space.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
Top-Block rear wheel sliders would help some.

Yep, the TB swing arm sliders saved my ass end...  :thumbs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8315.50
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:42:14 PM by ZG »

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
Maybe you are the one, the only one, that these were made for. http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/c14door.shtml You will get a whole three inches of more clearance on each side.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
$131/inch...... Really?!

Yes, I've known about these but I have a trunk and a large tank bag so the stuff that needs carryin' for the commute is covered. Really like the Smuggler though.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Slideways

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
Hey ZG, just checked out your bike on its side in the driveway. Is that how you clean the underside now?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
Hey ZG, just checked out your bike on its side in the driveway. Is that how you clean the underside now?

:rotflmao: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
Phew! The title of the thread scared me a bit as I assumed there was something wrong with them. Glad to know they were only removed to make you more comfortable while lane-splitting. However, I'm not sure I understand the issue with the front guards. The Canyon Cage is much tighter to the fairings and doesn't stick out quite as far as the saddlebags or their guards. Also, the Canyon Cage still looks decent installed by itself if you ride without the bags. However, there are a few other protection options out there for you that are also very close to the bike, like axle sliders.

EDIT: Ooop. I reread the OP and think I misunderstood. On second read, it sounds like the Canyon Cage is still installed. Is that correct?
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Slideways

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
Fronts are still on and have been successfully tested.... don't ask. ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
EDIT: Ooop. I reread the OP and think I misunderstood. On second read, it sounds like the Canyon Cage is still installed. Is that correct?

Only the fronts are called "Canyon Cages", but many members think of both the front and rears to be "Canyon Cages".  Thus, the confusion.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »
I took the rears off ... could not take the looks of the bike with the bags off, and the rear guards on,
 If I'm not in need I leave the bags  home :)
  The rears did come in handy one day when one of my dogs ran in front of me in my back yard, I went off the road and into deep sand, the bike went down , so I used a  rope,  tied it on the handle bars mount (LSL's) and then the rear crash bars, used my  loader to pick it up and put it on the road.
Insurance 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Slideways

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
So is there a name for the rear 'cages'?

I know that they are right about mid thigh height on me and they've tagged me a couple of times as I moved around my bike while working on it. The resulting charlie horse increased my vocabulary some. Hmmm, Cuss Cages?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »
I've never had a problem with the rear cages except to remove the rear wheel.  I take them off for that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
So is there a name for the rear 'cages'?
Side bag guards.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
Side bag guards.

Yep

I know that they are right about mid thigh height on me and they've tagged me a couple of times as I moved around my bike while working on it. The resulting charlie horse increased my vocabulary some. Hmmm, Cuss Cages?

That hasn't happened to me yet, thankfully.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Yea, I've actually taken orders for customers who request "a set of the Canyon Cages" then call me back 4 or 5 days later angry that they didn't receive a set of the Saddle Bag Guards as well. Of course, I almost always ask whether a customer is looking for just the fronts or the entire set when taking their order. Anyway, the rear guards are either called Side Bag Guards or Saddle Bag Guards, either term works fine. Happy to hear most of you guys are satisfied with our products, though. I don't blame any of you for removing the rear guards when you ride without the saddle bags, they look a bit goofy sticking out there by themselves. Besides, without the saddle bags sticking out, you really don't need the guards back there anyway.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline BMahar

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
   Easily removed and re-installed.
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline Slideways

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »

Exactly!  :chugbeer:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

Precisely! I generally recommend people remove the guards and just stick them in the bags if they ever ride without the bags on. Only takes a few moments to remove and/or reinstall the guards anyway.