Author Topic: 1st Canyon Cage Test?  (Read 12982 times)

Offline danl

1st Canyon Cage Test?
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
Had a bad day yesterday. On the final leg of our 2400 mile trip, cruising on Rt 218E outside of Fredericksburg, VA, around 11am. I'm leading, my wife behind me on her Vulcan. I check my mirror and notice she isn't there. Not unusual on twisty roads. I pull over and wait. She doesn't show. So I turn around, figuring she had her highway peg come loose again or something like that. I'm going and going, no sign of her. Finally I come around a curve and she's standing there on the side of the road, on the phone. I attempt to make a U turn on a road that is banked and going uphill, and drop the bike. The Canyon Cages worked perfectly, no damage at all to the bike. Picked it up, got it off the road. If that was the worst part of my day, it would have been good.

The rest of this is off topic for accessories, more of a rider down thing, but this is what had happened...

I say "where's your bike?" She says "down there, I crashed". I ran over to her, she's all banged up. Split lip, bumps and scrapes all over her.  She later told me she had gone around the curve and started scraping her floorboards, but not just the momentary scrape, it was long and sustained, and she panicked because she knew she was going to go too wide and hit the guardrail. So she decided rather than hit the guardrail, she was going to go off the road where someone else had already removed the guardrail in a prior accident. She went off the road, hit a couple orange barrels, got airborne, and landed in the ravine, the bike low sided, and she slid about 30' into the brush. Stayed with the bike the whole time, when it came to rest she was still holding onto the bars.

The ambulance came and took her to the ER, and I stayed and dealt with the police and the wrecker guy. It took us about a half hour to get the bike out of there in 100+ head.

Her bike is probably totalled, the left side is pretty torn up. Crash bar and floorboards are bent up into the shifter, all kinds of mangled parts. It's a shame because it was a nice bike and she finally had it customized the way she liked it.

They ran all kinds of tests on her, x-rayed and cat scanned everything. She has some ugly bruises, a huge one on her thigh and her arms and neck look like she got into a fight. Her left shoulder is really sore (along with everything else, but that is probably the worst part), She insists on wearing the piece of crap half helmet,so she has a nice knot under her eye and scratches all over her face from the brush. Some big bruises on her neck from the helmet strap and a cooling gel thing she had on. Not a single broken bone. One of her CAT's came back weird, so they wanted to transfer her to another trauma center, which  was around 1am. I went back to a hotel room I had and the plan was for me to deal with the wrecker today and release the bike for the insurance company and get whatever I could off of the bike (she had clothes and stuff in the bags, but I couldn't get to one of them because of how the bike was down). Then I was going to ride 3hrs home, pick up our truck, ride 4 hours back to where she was, and bring her back. I called one of her friends yesterday when they said they were going to release her and she came down to take her home, but when they transferred her, I had the friend drop me off at my room and she was heading home. Well, she decided to stay somewhere else on the way to the 2nd trauma center and thankfully is there to bring her home so I don't have to drive another 8 hrs today.

I think how lucky she got with such minimal injuries for a 40mph wreck with no gear on. How lucky it was she didn't hit a tree, or crash on the roadway surface, because the grass and soft dirt definitely saved her. If she had been more severely hurt, I would have driven right by the accident scene, because you couldn't see her bike at all in the brush.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: 1st Canyon Cage Test?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
WOW.  Glad to hear she's all right!

Can you take pics of the canyon cage to show where the contact points were?  Do you have forwards and rears?  When you have time, of course....
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline chap

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
WOW What a story. I am glad she is relatively OK. Maybe a lesson to wear the proper gear (sorry to Preech). Next tome maybe she will be wearing a full face helmet etc.

I am more interested in the Canyon cage. I may have to get them for my 2010 C14. I would love to see what scrapes are on them.

Ride Safe
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline danl

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
Chap, I preach it all the time, till we both get mad at each other. She's an adult and makes her own (bad) choices, but I can't force her to gear up. Most of the time she does, and the irony is we had just stopped for gas and it was 100+ out, and she took off her jacket and swapped her 3/4 helmet for the 1/2. The 3/4 helmet was a compromise, I want her in a FF, or at least a modular. She says they are claustrophobic and doesn't like the modular she already has. Maybe now this will change her thought.

Here's the contact points of the CC, both front and rear. I think most of the marks are road grit and tar, there might not be much damage to the powdercoating. This is about a 5mph tipover. The bike landed on the left side and was coming downhill, and it didn't rock up or have any other part of the bike touch except for what you see in the pics.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
Danl,

Damn man! I'm VERY glad to hear that your wife wasn't hurt more than she was, that's a miracle right there! What did they find at the second trauma center?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
Wow, that sucks Dan, glad to hear she is ok. I wish your wife a speedy recovery!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
Geez, I know 218 very well.  Some funny curves on that road and you have to know them to take em at any kind of speed.  Glad your wife is ok.  If there is anything I can do for you (don't know where you are out of) let me know.  I'll be home on the weekend.  Jim
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline danl

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
Conrad, the 2nd scan showed some kind of abnormality in an artery that runs inside your spinal column that supplies blood to the back of the brain. The docs said that in an accident, they can stretch, and if they stretch too much, tear on the inside. Then the body tries to fix it by clotting. Too much clotting you get the risk of stroke. So they transferred her to a higher level trauma center that could deal with better diagnosing the situation. They had 3 docs on it today and they all agreed there was no problem, she just has different sized arteries like your feet are not always the same size. The docs at the 1st center said she would probably be ok but they didn't want to say probably, they wanted a definite answer. Better safe than sorry!

Virginia Jim, thanks! I'm home now, she just texted and said she's leaving the hospital in Fairfax now and will be home in a few hours. We picked 218 on a whim. We had done 2 full days of BRP and decided to forego Skyline Drive, and take 20 up to Fredricksburg and then hop on 218 to get out to 301. Nice road! I was having a blast till I realized she wasn't behind me anymore.

And thanks to Necron, ZG and Chap for the well wishes too!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
That's good news Danl. Now that your wife needs a new bike, how about a C14? No danger of scraping the floor boards.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline danl

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
That's good news Danl. Now that your wife needs a new bike, how about a C14? No danger of scraping the floor boards.    ;)

She can't get on mine, she's way too short. I'd love to get her on a ST though. Maybe one of those Beemers you can lower down a good bit, or the small Honda 700cc. I think she's a VTwin girl though...

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Holy cow! I'm relieved to hear your wife is okay, danl! That sounds like quite a nasty spill. Sounds like the situation could have just as easily been much worse. I'm glad to hear the Canyon Cage saved your bike from any further damage though! Are you planning on replacing that side or are you just gonna touch up the scuffs?
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline danl

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
Ryan, I'll look at it later, I think a lot of it is just gunk from the road that will come off. It's in such a small spot, I dont' think I'll replace it, just touch it up if need be. I have a bunch of black rattle can from an old lighting project I had worked on for my band.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
With mine color matched, I was really curious where the scuffing would be.  This is pretty much what I thought would happen.  If I go down (knock wood) and have this level of damage, I think I'll rhino line the contact area instead of go to the expense of re-coating.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
Glad the wife is OK. the pics you show look a lot like mine ( tipped over last week ) I'm hoping to find some flat black touch up paint this week and give it a little face lift.
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
She can't get on mine, she's way too short. I'd love to get her on a ST though. Maybe one of those Beemers you can lower down a good bit,

I don't think they lower all that much

or the small Honda 700cc. I think she's a VTwin girl though...

VTwin???  No comment!

I am very glad she is OK and hope she will wear correct gear from now on.  Thanks for sharing the pics of the bars and the story.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
With mine color matched, I was really curious where the scuffing would be.  This is pretty much what I thought would happen.

The contact points are in the exact place that Ryan said they would be :)

If I go down (knock wood) and have this level of damage, I think I'll rhino line the contact area instead of go to the expense of re-coating.

Well imagine if you have chrome canyons, like me...  I don't think anything is going to work on touching THAT up.  Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Well imagine if you have chrome canyons, like me...  I don't think anything is going to work on touching THAT up.  Oh well.

I bet Harley makes something to fix that...  ;)   :-X

Offline simply40

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Wow.  Really glad your wife is going to be OK.  My wife rides her own mean-streak and I find myself looking in the rear-view often to check on her.  We just got off the Bear Tooth and I let her ride lead.  I stayed about 1/2 mile behind her so I would not be pushing her.  By the time I caught up it was time for a photo.  Due to all the switch backs I usually had a good visual on her.  I have found she rides her own ride when in front.  I have convinced her ATGAAT because I want her around.  It was a fight at 1st but we shopped around for gear that fits her/women 5'2" 115 and its much less of an argument now.  She has turned into my favorite riding partner.  I hope you and your wife have many happy rides together and this is just a bump in the road.  God's speed on her recovery danl.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
I have convinced her ATGAAT because I want her around.

OK, I Googled "ATGAAT" and it came up with genetic sequencing or "All The Gear All The Time", looks like the latter fits.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
Really glad your wife is okay. Hopefully she will want to ride again. Also glad the cages did their job for you. I wonder if she would be interested in the Honda 700 you mentioned. It looks interesting. Let us know if you look at one/ buy one. I would like to get my wife riding her own and that looks like it might be the right fit.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC