Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 456528 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1320 on: May 20, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
Why even have a land line? We got rid of ours years ago.

Me too.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1321 on: May 20, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
I always interrupt them and say "please remove this number from all your lists... bye" and hang up.

What you do: I always interrupt them and say "please remove this number from all your lists... bye" and hang up.

What I do: I always interrupt them and say "please remove this number from all your lists... bye" and hang up.

:)

I just think you're wasting your breath.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1322 on: May 20, 2016, 12:45:38 PM »

Got rid of our AT&T land line 3 or 4 years ago ... but before doing so I ported the number to Google Voice, so was able to keep my phone number I've had since 1992, and now no monthly fees ... $0.00. Calls go thru a tiny box connected to our internet connection, so I had to buy that box for something like $40, and buy the cheapest WalMart cell phone I could find ... $7 ... use it one time just for the porting procedure, and when done throw it away. Now, unless you walk into the utility room where our internet comes in to the house, you would have no way of knowing we don't have standard land line service ... even caller ID works thru it.

Do we need that line? No, not really ... but sometimes I prefer the call quality of that 'land line' vs cell phone. And total cost was ~$50, and just a one-time cost. Like I said, that was 3 or 4 years ago. And ~8 months ago we moved, and the 'land line' works in the new house exactly as before without me doing anything to even configure it. I just brought the little box ... called an Obihai ... with us, plugged it in, and signed up for internet.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1323 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
How is your internet service delivered?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1324 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
When I pick up a red ball point pen only to find out the ink itself is either black or blue.

Why make a pen red if the ink isn't red??  :-\

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1325 on: May 20, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »
How is your internet service delivered?

Cox DSL ... wire running from a utility pole underground to the house.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1326 on: May 20, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
Years ago I started simply hanging up on them, cold turkey, middle of the sentence. Felt a lil' bad for a while at first, but now I've been doing it for so many years I don't even give it a 2nd thought. Hang up and continue on with my day. I just realized that I don't care to extend for one moment longer a conversation with somebody who's just trying to sell me something I didn't ask for and don't need or want. Pretty sure most of the calls are placed by computers, and when it detects that you've answered the call is transferred to one of their salespeople. Yeah, no problem whatsoever hanging up on that situation.

Ha ... just got one. Call from a South Florida # I don't recognize. I answered and said hello, heard about a second and a half of quiet, then a slight click and a person who said "Hello I'd like to speak to the owner of the business ..." CLICK. He gone.

Man, I shouldn't have even let 'em get past "Hello I'd like". I gotta work on my reaction times.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1327 on: May 20, 2016, 03:44:02 PM »

* Because it has no batteries to fail
* Because during the hurricanes it worked while cells did not
* Because I have extensions throughout the house
* Safety
* Redundancy
* Voice quality is better for long conversations

The problem is they keep raising the price, which makes no sense.  I have a featureless line, limited number of calls per month, no LD, lowest possible price.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1328 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
What you do: I always interrupt them and say "please remove this number from all your lists... bye" and hang up.

What I do: I always interrupt them and say "please remove this number from all your lists... bye" and hang up.

:)

I just think you're wasting your breath.

Theoretically they are required to remove your number from lists if you ask it.  By hanging up, they have not been told anything, so you might get called again.  Of course, they probably don't care either way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1329 on: May 20, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Ha ... just got one. Call from a South Florida # I don't recognize. I answered and said hello, heard about a second and a half of quiet, then a slight click and a person who said "Hello I'd like to speak to the owner of the business ..." CLICK. He gone.

Yep, that is the robo dialer.  Should be illegal and criminal.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1330 on: May 21, 2016, 05:45:14 AM »
Theoretically they are required to remove your number from lists if you ask it.  By hanging up, they have not been told anything, so you might get called again.  Of course, they probably don't care either way.

The people who work in these 'call centers' don't give two shits if you ask them to remove your number from their lists. Who's going to catch them if they don't? A person can't even get the real phone number that their calling from. If you call one of these numbers back right away, in most cases, you'll find that the number doesn't even exist.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1331 on: May 21, 2016, 11:08:44 PM »
The people who work in these 'call centers' don't give two shits if you ask them to remove your number from their lists. Who's going to catch them if they don't? A person can't even get the real phone number that their calling from. If you call one of these numbers back right away, in most cases, you'll find that the number doesn't even exist.

Yep, theory and reality often don't coincide.... especially when it involves people.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1332 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »
* Because it has no batteries to fail
* Because during the hurricanes it worked while cells did not
* Because I have extensions throughout the house
* Safety
* Redundancy
* Voice quality is better for long conversations

The problem is they keep raising the price, which makes no sense.  I have a featureless line, limited number of calls per month, no LD, lowest possible price.

Sure it makes sense.  One, they don't want to maintain those lines anymore.  Two, it's harder to get parts.  Three, the techs that can maintain them are retiring or dead.  With that being said, I still have mine but the urge to get rid of it is rising.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1333 on: May 27, 2016, 05:01:00 AM »
This doesn't just make me crazy and annoyed, it pissed me right the :censored: off!!!!

Motorcycle riders who 'can't see' other motorcycle riders!!!

I was heading into town yesterday on my bike. 4 lane road and I see another rider approaching from a side street on the right. There's a stop sign for him and I'm thinking surly he's going to stop right? He's moving pretty fast on his ape hanger equipped LOUD assed cruiser (you know the type, sleeveless MC club shirt, doo rag, no helmet of course). Um, he's going to stop right? Wrong! I'm in the right hand lane and he swings wide without even slowing for the stop sign. If not for my cat like reflexes (and the fact that I was watching him) he would have taken me out! I hit the brakes hard and he pulls out in front of me. The son of a bitch didn't even see me!!! He changes lanes, again without looking, and we end up at the stop light together. I wanted to let him know what he just did but the asshole has his ear buds in and his bike is so damn loud that he wouldn't be able to hear a damn thing that I said anyways.  >:(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1334 on: May 27, 2016, 05:24:09 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1335 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:26 AM »
This doesn't just make me crazy and annoyed, it pissed me right the :censored: off!!!!

Motorcycle riders who 'can't see' other motorcycle riders!!!

That's because his type aren't motorcycle riders, they are motorcycle exhibitionists.  Big difference.

(I like to call them "chrome lawnmower exhibitionists", since what they ride are typically low-tech, slow, loud, unbalanced, low, can't corner, vibrate to death, etc; usually come out only once a week or two but not in the winter when the grass doesn't grow; are covered in chrome; and are all about "look at me", "pay attention to me", "listen to me")

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1336 on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »
Much of the same can be said for squids .
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1337 on: May 27, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »
Much of the same can be said for squids .

Yup.  It's not the bike, or the apparel, it's the rider !

Locally, (other than the loud pipes) the Crotch rocket riders are more of a menace than the cruiser riders. Probably because the cruiser riders are all older than the squids. There's bad apples in every barrel.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1338 on: May 27, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
Did the first oil change in my Tacoma.  All went well until I unscrewed the oil cap.  Didn't have a good grip on it and it fell into the engine bay.  Still can't find it.   :doh: :doh: :doh: Stuck some rags in the filler neck and I'll look again on Sunday when it's going to be cooler outside.  Did the same thing to my daughter's Honda Accord.  On the bright side, she doesn't bring it to me for oil changes anymore.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1339 on: May 27, 2016, 09:22:39 AM »
Who are you going to take yours to now?