Author Topic: Oldest surviving member of the USS Arizona has passed away  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Oldest surviving member of the USS Arizona has passed away
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Most of "The greatest generation" has left the building  :'(

From Gov Jan Brewer's Facebook page:

Yesterday, Retired Lt. Cmdr. Joe Langdell, the oldest living survivor from the USS Arizona, passed away at the age of 100.

Thank you Joe for your service to our country. Joe requested that his ashes be interred with his fellow shipmates inside the USS Arizona, which will take place on December 7th.

Please join me in offering a prayer for Retired Lt. Cmdr. Joe Langdell, for his loved ones, and for all the men and women who have risked and given their lives to preserve and protect freedom throughout the world. May God bless them all.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Oldest surviving member of the USS Arizona has passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
Amen to that.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
Well done Commander, rest in peace...

It says he was the oldest.
There could still be younger ones that are alive.
So, I wonder if he was also the last?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Well done Commander, rest in peace...

It says he was the oldest.
There could still be younger ones that are alive.
So, I wonder if he was also the last?

Ride safe, Ted

Wondering the same.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

It is sad to see that generation moving on; each year, at various ceremonies such as at the Arizona on 7 Dec, and around 6 June at Normandy, France, there are small and smaller groups of veterans attending. The positive thing I try to take a way from these images is that at least some of those veterans are really in very good shape and sharp as a tack, all these years later.

Brian

Most of "The greatest generation" has left the building  :'(

From Gov Jan Brewer's Facebook page:

Yesterday, Retired Lt. Cmdr. Joe Langdell, the oldest living survivor from the USS Arizona, passed away at the age of 100.

Thank you Joe for your service to our country. Joe requested that his ashes be interred with his fellow shipmates inside the USS Arizona, which will take place on December 7th.

Please join me in offering a prayer for Retired Lt. Cmdr. Joe Langdell, for his loved ones, and for all the men and women who have risked and given their lives to preserve and protect freedom throughout the world. May God bless them all.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
This year, on December 7th, will be the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I've never been there, would like to go for this.

Dan