Author Topic: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride  (Read 10233 times)

Offline Conrad

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
I don't even know what to make of this...

Having the object of one's lust painstakingly made by hand has long been the goal of both stylish dressers and motorcycle enthusiasts.

Lately however we've seen the two worlds converge with more frequency, and the sight of a well-tailored man astride an equally sharp machine is an increasingly common, and welcome, sight on the streets of New York, London, Paris, Milan and Tokyo.

Customized, one-off and limited edition motorbikes have never been more fetching either, with modern technology and retro looks having finally reached an aesthetically appealing rapprochement. Meanwhile more companies are collaborating on stylish gear made especially for motorcycle enthusiasts who don't abandon their sartorial standards when they go for a ride.

Scroll through the gallery to check out some of the latest, coolest motorbike designs and see some of the dapper gents who have wholeheartedly embraced two-wheeled culture in serious style.

lot's of pics here of cool bikes and men playing dress up to ride
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/autos/modern-motorcycle-style/index.html

A $2,350 leather jacket to impress your friends.  ::)

http://duncanquinn.com/shop/suits-and-jackets/915-ricard-leather-jacket.html

Its always good to name things after memorable things.  And for anyone who ever spent any time in the south of France the name of Paul Ricard will forever be associated with high octane afternoons of ice, anise and cloudy glasses as well as memories.  He, of course, is the "Ricard" of Pastis fame.  That infamous French aniseed aperitif consumed all over the Mediterranean and beyond.  Less known in the USA than its former competitor (and now sister brand) Pernod perhaps, but for the aficionados among us Ricard was and is "le top". 

Paul Ricard was born in 1909 in Sainte-Marthe, which was then but a small village north of Marseille. Passionate about chemistry and design, he enrolled in the Beaux-Arts (Academy of Fine Arts). At the age of 17, this son of a wine merchant learned the trade at his father’s side. Going from café to café, rubbing elbows with customers, he was inspired to invent his “own” pastis. Indeed, in Marseille in the 1930s, every bar owner made his own anise-based liqueur. But the inconsistent taste and cloying sweetness of the mixtures wasn’t pleasing to connoisseurs. Paul Ricard was determined to find the “ideal” formula.

For over a year, he tested countless recipes. Every night in a make-shift laboratory, the young man would macerate fennel, aniseed and Provençal herbs, distilling, filtering, etc. His aim: to find the perfect flavor, one that captured the pure, fresh taste of aniseed.

Finally, in 1932, his original recipe was born. Paul Ricard gave it his own name, 'Ricard’, and set it apart it from all competitors by defining it as “the true Pastis of Marseille”. The quality and fresh taste of his aperitif are the result of this skilful (and secret) blend of aniseed, liquorice and aromatic herbs. Today, Ricard is the no. 1 anise-based spirit in the world.

Paul also happened to have a love of motor racing.  And so he took some of the oodles of loot he accrued from peddling high end moonshine to the masses and built a racetrack just north of Marseille.  It opened in 1969 to much applause.  The most modern, safest, and coolest track in its day.  He had applied the same attention to detail and desire for perfection to the track as he had his anise.  And the fact that it made for winter testing in the sun was all the better. 

So what better place to lend its name to the new DQ leather jacket.  The Ricard.  For riding, driving, and steering yourself through the finest times in life.  Get one while you can...

*DQ's Ricard jacket is manufactured for duncan quinn by Vanson Leathers, a legend in the motorcycling world and renowned for their relentless attention to authenticity and quality.  Each jacket is individually numbered and comes with a repair guarantee.

And lastly, here are those Distinguished Gentlemen and their machines.    three times   ::)

There are some VERY cool bikes for your viewing pleasure at least.

http://www.gentlemansride.com/gallery
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
This is so ridiculous that it should belong in the Funnies..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »

I almost posted it there instead but not everyone reads the Funnies.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
$2,350 DQ Leather Jacket:

Actual leather jacket:  $350
      Named after an ice cream fast food joint: priceless
      Named after Duncan Quinn (whoever he was): $2000

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
It costs a lot of money to look cool in some circles.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:59:37 PM »

Really.  I think I will barf now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
Hipsters ruin everything.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »
Let's see, the $2,350 jacket may actually be smart business:

- If you have a $2,350 jacket in your lineup, a few idiots will probably buy it!

- When you discount it by 50%, a few other idiots will buy at that "bargain" price

- Your $2,350 jacket automatically makes your $1,000 jacket seem like a bargain, to yet some other idiots

- If they sell just one at $2,350, they may have covered the entire cost to design it (I have no idea on this point, just a guess)

- Slapping a super-high price on one or more of your products probably automatically makes the average consumer (read "idiots") view your company in a higher light ... i.e. willing to pay more for your "better" stuff. Your company might just be about to break into "cool" "gotta have it" "trendy"

- As long as you still have plenty of other products that reasonable, realistic, logical people can afford, your business will probably be fine

I could be wrong on every single point here, as I know very little about anything.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:23:47 PM »
I wonder how those garbardine pin-stripes will hold up when you lay your Duc down on the way back from brunch??  :'(
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:02:33 AM »
Really.  I think I will barf now.

Move aside...gonna join you in the barf fest!! Ridiculous!!  ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 04:54:42 AM »
Let's see, the $2,350 jacket may actually be smart business:

- If you have a $2,350 jacket in your lineup, a few idiots will probably buy it!

- When you discount it by 50%, a few other idiots will buy at that "bargain" price

- Your $2,350 jacket automatically makes your $1,000 jacket seem like a bargain, to yet some other idiots

- If they sell just one at $2,350, they may have covered the entire cost to design it (I have no idea on this point, just a guess)

- Slapping a super-high price on one or more of your products probably automatically makes the average consumer (read "idiots") view your company in a higher light ... i.e. willing to pay more for your "better" stuff. Your company might just be about to break into "cool" "gotta have it" "trendy"

- As long as you still have plenty of other products that reasonable, realistic, logical people can afford, your business will probably be fine

I could be wrong on every single point here, as I know very little about anything.

Did you click the links and read the stories? Did any of those folks resemble 'reasonable, realistic, logical people'?    ;)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:31 AM »
Did you click the links and read the stories? Did any of those folks resemble 'reasonable, realistic, logical people'?    ;)

Yep. Wool suits and loafers while riding a motorcycle is quite the statement. Obviously, common sense and money do not go hand-in-hand.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Really?

Metrosexual

Lumbersexual

..and now we have Cyclesexual? (psyclesexual)

The whole thing sends a (figuratively speaking) chain lubed splinter up my sphincter.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
It's a pure moped crowd. The city riders just thread traffic, and now they can
look cool doing it. They may not know what 3rd gear feels like..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »
Mods and Rockers, man.  Mods and Rockers.  Deja Vu all over again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
yeah, we were all young and f***ing crazy had little sense once too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
yeah, we were all young and f***ing crazy had little sense once too

Speak for yourself.... I was old even when I was young.  Now get off my lawn!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »
Seeing this reminded me of a guy I saw in a store recently.
He was wearing a jacket with "Bates Racing Leathers" logo across the back.
It was a cloth jacket...I wondered how much he paid for it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
"Cosplay"    :pukeface:
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 06:01:13 AM »
"Cosplay"    :pukeface:

Not all Cosplay is bad...     ;)