Author Topic: Riding across the Northern US any suggestions.  (Read 5183 times)

Offline old jack

• RUReady
Riding across the Northern US any suggestions.
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
I am crossing the border from British Columbia Canada and riding to White Fish Montana, through Butt, through Custer South Dakota, Minnesota , Wisconsin  and Michigan and back into Canada at  Sault St Marie"

Anyone have any ideas of some interesting roads or sites. My first time out west, its been on my to do list for a while.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline Summit670

Re: Riding across the Northern US any suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
Well, if you're going thru Whitefish I hope you're doing Going to The Sun Highway in Glacier.  Stop at McDonald Lodge and take a break.

Drop down thru Yellowstone NP.  You could easily spend more than a few days here touring around.
Big Horn Mtns by Sheridan WY.

Black Hills - spearfish Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Iron Horse Highway, Custer State Park. This could be 2 days of sightseeing easy.  Skip Bear Country, might be a little scary on a bike, lol.

Badlands east of Rapid City. Allow a few extra hours to sightsee.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
Summit670

Thank you for the hints, The Sun Highway is now on my to do list, I had already planned on Mt Rushmore, Custer Park and I am going to look up the Iron Horse Highway Badlands.

Bear Country sounds interesting, I am from Ontario, and I don't need to go too far North to run into Bears here if that is what you are referring to.

Old Jack
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
I am crossing the border from British Columbia Canada and riding to White Fish Montana, through Butt, through Custer South Dakota, Minnesota , Wisconsin  and Michigan and back into Canada at  Sault St Marie"

Anyone have any ideas of some interesting roads or sites. My first time out west, its been on my to do list for a while.

You'll find the going a bit easier if you go through Butte instead of Butt.    ;)

Good riding and good luck!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »
Point taken!
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline rwulf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »
So when are you going?

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
So here is the Plan, our Bikes are being transported from Ontario, to Calgary Alberta, we fly in and pick them up the 5th, then we are going to Canmore BC for Two Days, Kimberly BC for one, White Fish MT for two, then Butte, Billings, Custer for two days, Chamberlain SD, Fairmont MN, then from then on its anyone guess maybe make our way to Sault St Marie in Ontario and home. Total 14 to 15 days.

Might go around through Chicago to Sarnia ON but that is not high on my list, not that I don't like Chicago, but traffic on a Bike might be a little nerve rattling around the South end of the lake..

I have have been trying to find different routes and avoid some of the interstate heading from Billing to Custer and Custer to Chamberlain, not fond of beating down Interstates.
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
It's allright to not like Chicago. Have a good ride.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
At Spearfish on the north side of Black Hills, take spearfish canyon and go down thru Lead and Deadwood, then you can go south further and hit Hill City and then south to Custer.

Just after dropping south from Lead, take the smaller Highway which goes thru Nemo as it is not traveled as much and is pretty neat.  You can get back on 385 later and head into Hill City

You may want to stop and view Crazyhorse Monument between Hill City and Custer.  It is a work in progress.

Then there's Hot Springs and they have a historic natural hot spring/swimming pool.

There's also Wind Cave National Park, and other various caves in the Black Hills.

You have to do the Needles Highway. 

Here is the map I like of the Black Hills.  The Custer State Park loop is toward the bottom and the circular route in Red which circles around Custer State Park also includes the Needles Hwy on toward the upper left and Iron Horse Hwy toward the upper right.  Iron horse has some Cool views of Mt Rushmore.
http://blackhillsattraction.com/black-hills-map/

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:26:26 AM »
It's allright to not like Chicago. Have a good ride.

+1!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
Summit 670

Thank you for the info, my Bike was shipped yesterday and I will fly and meet it Friday in Calgary AB.

I am putting your suggestions on my to do list and see it I can do this ride, sounds good to me. Looking forward to the adventure.

Making memory's is what it is all about.
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
I assume you mean July 5th? OK, I was going to say, Harley's 110th anniversary is from 28Aug to 1Sept. And you do NOT want to be within 100 miles of Milwaukee those days unless you enjoy traffic the likes of which you can't even comprehend, not even Toronto at rush hour on a Friday comes close, well, almost. I would avoid Chicago on a bike at all costs too, any time of the year. If you must go around, I'd take I-39 south around Chicago to St. Rt. 24 east up through Fort Wayne to Rt. 127 then Rt. 6 to Rt. 23 north to Flint then over to Sarnia on I-69 avoiding Chicago like the plague. Good luck, sounds like a nice trip, take lots of pics and post them when you get back. Guess I don't need to tell you you'll need passports and proof of insurance cards.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
Strawboss

Thank you for the suggestions, I have pretty well decided on Fairmont to Greenbay to Saute St Marie, North of the Lake. I don't want to ruin a good trip by sitting in heavy traffic with the Kawasaki, when the fans kick on, if you may know what I mean. Your also right its the 5th of July, I pick the bike up on the 5th and  I start my ride on the 6th, Passport and proof of insurance in hand.

You couldn't get me near the HD event, dragging and screaming. Crowds are just not my thing.
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
In MN, ride to Itasca State Park to view the source of the Mississippi River.  Then you can follow a segment or two of the Great River road.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
My friend and I went up around the Upper Peninsula in Aug of '03 not knowing anything about the HD shindig going on in Milwaukee when we were coming home. I'm not kidding when I say that it was the most incredible traffic jam going north I've ever seen in my life and I was so glad I was going south away from all of that silliness. Traffic was backed up almost to Gary IN going to Milwaukee. I imagine it won't be as big this time but it will be large.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline bkromer

• 2012 C14 Black
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »
Chicago is white knuckle driving in a car, I wouldn't do it on a motorcycle. Thanks for the route around, I have been wanting to ride my bike out to Buffalo, NY and visit my son, and have been looking for ways around Chicago. I have also been looking at going through Canada.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer

Bruce

Offline Canada44

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »
I just did the Going to the Sun Road on Wednesday July 10. It was very busy and had pilot cars leading traffic in a couple of spots over gravel that had been sprayed with water to keep the dust down. It is a very scenic ride but extremely slow. I was in 2nd gear most of the time. I would have avoided it knowing the road conditions and heavy traffic. 

cheers
Paul
2010 ABS C14

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:51 AM »
I had a friend recommend a couple of ferries across Lake Michigan as an alternative to driving through Chicago.  There is a ferry that goes from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI called The Badger. It puts you in further north but it is the last coal-fired ferry on the Great Lakes. The Lake Express is a modern hydrofoil and the Badger is an old ship that takes about five hours to get across.    Just a thought as it will get you past Chicago and give a nice break on the ride as well

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
Devil's tower doesn't look like much in pictures but is impressive up close. Not far from Custer SD.