Author Topic: Not quite another oil thread  (Read 4695 times)

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Not quite another oil thread
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »
I'm at work, and I  need to pick up a filter and oil on the way home.  Since I don't have my book, I've tried looking up what I need on the forums.  I managed to find a listing of alternate filters - CH6012, CarQuest 89941, Napa4941 or K&N 401- but I can't seem to find an answer on what weight oil.

I asked Santa for a SPOOFAK for Christmas, so hopefully she'll get me one of those and I'll be chaning the oil in a few weeks again, but I'm getting the tags tomorrow (hopefully) and have no idea when the oil was last changed so I'd prefer to do it now and be able to do the Vet Run this weekend.

So, what weight oil do I run?
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Not quite another oil thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
10-40.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
Or 5W-40 (Rotella T6)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
So, what weight oil do I run?

1 pound 14.875 oz's, and that's for one bottle. You'll need at least three, so at a minimum you'll need about 5 1/2 pounds.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
And away we go.......

Being as I see you have a low post count, you do know there are 2 drain plugs right?

The majority (me included) recommend that you use a motorcycle specific oil (brand of your choice) in either dino or synthetic for the added wet-clucth protection.  Diesel specific oils are usually not marked as "Energy Conserving" so they are acceptable to most riders too.  The Rotella T6 as mentioned is a nice one.  If money is not object or concern, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, or Specto are superb choices.

Of course if all else fails, find any "normal" oil you can as it will probably cause no adverse problems ever.

Sorry guys, just had to do it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
1 pound 14.875 oz's, and that's for one bottle. You'll need at least three, so at a minimum you'll need about 5 1/2 pounds.

I think that would add up to about 3 pounds not 5 1/2?  Not that it matters one way or the other.

Offline works4me

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
Actually closer to 5-3/4.

Once again the internet exposes those who
slept during math class.  ::)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
Oops, you're right.  I read it as 1 pound equals 14.875 fluid ounces of oil.  I realize that a gallon of water equals about 8 pounds.  Too much diet soda today.  Maybe a half pound.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, even the smart-@$$ ones.  I thought it was 10-40, but when seraching I also came across some people using 15-40 and 20-50, so I thought it best to ask.  I did find the 2 drain plugs during my search.  I've used Rotella successfully in my other bikes along with Castrol.  I'd prefer synthetic and will prbably go with Amsoil for the next change, but I want to get things up and running now.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
The majority (me included) recommend that you use a motorcycle specific oil

It would be interesting to see a poll on this one. The best I can tell is that the majority use non-motorcycle specific oil. I have used Mobile 1, in addition to Rotella, and have never had a problem in this bike or my Nighthawk. I think I have also used Castrol too but if so only once. I have never had a clutch slippage problem.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »
Rotella 5w-40 synth
Chevron 5w-40 synth

;D
2004 C10 RIP

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I'm one of the one who have had a slipping clutch with car oil.  Many years ago (at this point) I had an '82 Yamaha Seca 750.  I put Castorol 20w-50 in it at a summer oil change, assuming it would be "better" for the bike.  The next morning going to work I found out the clutch would break loose on hard excelleration.  After a phone call to the local shop the next morning (an a discussion with dad), I changed the oil back to Hondaline 10w-40 and it worked perfectly (again).  The other bike was a '74? Suzuki TM400 (yes - the Cyclone!).  The samething went down with it.  Atleast I had a suspect this time.  On that one I switched to Golden-Spectro 10w-30 and all was good again.

Admittedly, these are rare occurances.  If you don't dog your bike you would probably never have it occur.  Fresh motor oil pretty much trumps which motor oil everytime.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »

It must be winter again. ;)

FWIW, Rotella T6 is an approved moto oil, as it states on the bottle that it meets the  JASO MA spec. As of two months ago, Chevron, Mobil, and Kendal diesel oils in non syn may or may not meet that spec, the bottle doesn't say. My ASSumption would be that they do not, but it may be that they just haven't seen the need to test for it or bother getting it approved. Rotella has the spec listed, so I use it.

The manual does call for an oil that meets the JASO MA spec, among others.

Happy oil thread. Yeehaw!!!!!!!!
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 07:15:03 AM »
It would be interesting to see a poll on this one. The best I can tell is that the majority use non-motorcycle specific oil. I have used Mobile 1, in addition to Rotella, and have never had a problem in this bike or my Nighthawk. I think I have also used Castrol too but if so only once. I have never had a clutch slippage problem.

DITTO.....

Mobil One 15W50 Automotive Oil used year round...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
I used oil once.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
Kind of funny I'm posting about oil too and what I recommend.  I have always used motorcycle oil in my bikes, but didn't a long time ago as stated previously.  My bike thru a rod this past summer most likely due to oil starvation or lack of lubrication on the number 3 rod at high rpm (85mph).  Apparently, its just a fluke that is somewhat rare but not unheard of.  Before pulling the engine, i still drained out two quarts (maybe a little more).

As many can attest too, it's not so much what (brand or weight) you use in your bike, but more importantly, that you change it when appropriate.  My '81 Silverwing that I bought new only got the filter replaced every other oil change.  Its still going great at about 180k by the next owner.  Its had the clutch replaced three times.  The valves have been checked each oil change but haven't needed adjusting in atleast 50-60k miles.