Author Topic: Sonic Springs installed  (Read 2756 times)

voileauciel

Sonic Springs installed
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
What a difference! Just had the 1.2s installed this past weekend. No more brake dive, smoother ride, and she definitely feels sharper in the twisties.

I decided to forgo the cartridge emulators as I'm planning on eventually installing a ZRX fork and Mean Streak wheel.

If you're on the fence about these, I highly recommend them!

Also, Murph's is the best. Got them to me in 3 days.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Sonic Springs installed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »
Now there's a bike with the 1.2's that I can test ride!  ;D I know you've been anticipating this mod for awhile,
glad it all worked out for the best! See you Sunday..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline throb

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
+1 for the sonic's and Murph's;  I put the 1.0's in a few weeks ago (pre-crash) and the difference was very noticable.  Changed the fork fluid as well to a 50/50 mix 10w and 15w Motul. 

After this put on KB fork brace from Murph.  Ties everything up nicely.  For my taste/style riding, I'm done.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

voileauciel

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
Been twiddling with the preload adjusters a bit and noticed that at ~6 lines out, it feels pretty supple and not too harsh. Has anyone gone stiffer than this with these? Does it affect overall ride quality?

The old set were screwed down as far as they could go, and the fork still bottomed out under hard stops. I haven't managed to do that yet, but then again, I've not ridden in Manhattan with this setup(where I'd need it!)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
Been twiddling with the preload adjusters a bit and noticed that at ~6 lines out, it feels pretty supple and not too harsh. Has anyone gone stiffer than this with these? Does it affect overall ride quality?

The old set were screwed down as far as they could go, and the fork still bottomed out under hard stops. I haven't managed to do that yet, but then again, I've not ridden in Manhattan with this setup(where I'd need it!)

The Preload Adjusters does not change the spring stiffness it changes the ride height; now too much overall preload can cause the spring to operate harshly as it goes into binding but you will not get there with just the preload adjusters.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline blade

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
I did the sonic 1.2s a few years ago and have left them with no preload ever since. I am part of the security squad size and have not regretted it at all. Fork oil is 15 weight and I have not bottomed out like I did with the stock setup.