Author Topic: Float Bowl Overflow Tubes Question  (Read 10401 times)

Offline WiConnie

Float Bowl Overflow Tubes Question
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »
Howdee :)

I'm all set to do my own overflow tubes but would like to know the consensus on how far they should extend above the top edge of the bowl. I've seen one member that did his own has them at about 4mm. Is there a optimal height that I should shoot for?

Thanks much,
Barry
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Float Bowl Overflow Tubes Question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
4mm is to low, you'll get sloshover. I set all my installs at 8mm. At 10mm the fuel can intersect the air correction orifice and start to discharge into the carbs - can't have that. Steve

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:52:48 PM »
Thanks Steve...much appreciated....especially from the guru!
Barry
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
4 mm has worked ok for me.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
I did mine a little too low (4mm) and I do  indeed have slosh over. Of course I  flog the cr@p out the bike too. I was one of the first DIYers when we first posted directions. The 5 minute JB weld  epoxy did not work either. Good thing i did a press fit.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
The 5 minute JB weld  epoxy did not work either. Good thing i did a press fit.

Gotta stay with the original formula.....good stuff....

Q: Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?

A: When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, see our J-B Stik or Waterweld product information.
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
Standard JB Weld does not stand up to current formulations of gasoline. You will wind up with little donuts of it loose on the tubes. Press fit (by SiSF, shameless plug) works quite nicely.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »
SteveJ is completely correct (as usual) original JB weld is fine is gasoLINE, not so much with gasoHOL. The ethanol will attack the JBweld. Voices of experience here. Steve

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
Great...another reason to hate the crap the government says we gotta burn...it's crap, have to use more of it to get where you're going...etc, etc.  Plus it dissolves JB Weld..

Do you think that the ALUMALOY type product would work if an aluminum over flow tube were used Alumaloy Part 1

What is this "press fit" you speak of  :o. Is it where the hole the pipe fits into is just a smidge smaller than the pipe and the pipe is forced in  or is the pipe somehow expanded once it is in place.

Just removed and installed carbs this morning for the first time...not that tough....I used the "Roll the airbox boots back" method and used lots of silicone spray during the install. Warmed the airbox boots with a hair drier...they snapped right back into place. I used to have to use a ratchet strap on the airbox on my Honda "F" bikes

Barry
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
yes, the hole is bored smaller than the tube. You better make a jig to hold the bowl when boring / pressing though, or your results will be equal to my first attempts before I built the jig. Let's just put it this way - you're gonna be hunting some kind of epoxy if you don't have a jig. also, don't cut the tube once it's installed, or you'll vibrate and loosen the press fit. Also, be careful to not place the tube to deeply, or you'll obstruct the drain screw hole. HTH, Steve

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
  And that's why I had Steve do my overflow tubes. Screw up your float bowls and you will probably pay about the same for 1 float bowl as having Steve doing it for you.

edit:  $80 for a float bowl from BikeBandit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:33:11 PM by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »

Just removed and installed carbs this morning for the first time...not that tough....I used the "Roll the airbox boots back" method and used lots of silicone spray during the install. Warmed the airbox boots with a hair drier...they snapped right back into place.

Geeze - I wish I'd read that yesterday morning!! :P
Might have save me some struggling.

Took me about 20 minutes of wrangling just to get the "deep down inside" throttle cable attached, then got in an extended fight with the airbox boots.

You experienced folks would probably roll in the floor if you could see me in the midst of this "learning curve"!
Rick.
COG#: 9843
IBA#: 34853
"... miles to go before I sleep."

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
Geeze - I wish I'd read that yesterday morning!! :P
Might have save me some struggling.

Took me about 20 minutes of wrangling just to get the "deep down inside" throttle cable attached, then got in an extended fight with the airbox boots.

Rick...I always find it best to only remove the choke cable while the carbs are still on the bike. I pulled the carb rack out the left side of the bike then removed the throttle cables.   Before the install I removed the air box, washed it all up nice and pretty, warmed the boots with a hair dryer, rolled the boots back and used a zip tie (like a cheap hose clamp) on each one to hold it in place. All while sitting at the kitchen table which made things much easier.

After I installed the airbox I sprayed lots of silicone on the 8 boots....pushed the carbs in from the left after attaching the throttle cables. The carbs went in on the high side then I slowly lowered then(pushed them down) ... and they eventually snapped into the intake boots. Cut the the zip ties off the airbox boots, re-warmed them with the hair dryer, rolled them right back onto the carbs.
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »
press fit with locktite
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
press fit with locktite
Loctite is a brand name not a particular product; please be more specific.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Test results are in...Cliff Notes Version....

1....On an old bowl I tried the JB Weld technique......the JB Weld broke down after about a week and the seal started weeping ever so slightly. Got the gray doughnuts as mentioned in an earlier post. No drips but damp at the over flow nipple.

2....replaced the brass tube with an aluminum one and tried the Alumaloy repair as seen on You Tube....fail :o

I may be on a mission to find a sealant that can survive in today's mix of gasoline.  Testing a product called Seal-All for the next week. Will report.

Barry
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
I don't use any sealant.

My bowls don't leak.

Maybe that's why most guys send me thier bowls; experiences like yours is my best sales tool! Steve

Offline WiConnie

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
Steve,
 :) I like a challenge!  I've gotten rid of all my bikes that I liked to wrench on so I have to have something to do at the workbench.
I used to love to bring home old Hondas and fix them up to sell but the market is so darn soft I can't hardly seem to break even on the resale.

Tonight I dug out another old Honda bowl and made it leak....then put a bead of solder around the base of the tube...so far so good.
Gotta travel for the rest of the week so it's sittin on the bench covered and with some test paper under the nipple...will check when I get back home.

I suppose I'll get tired of smelling like gasoline soon, surrender and send my bowls to you.
I know the heartbreak of hydro lock. Had a friend leave his perfect CBX on the side stand with the petcock open last summer...one touch of the starter button in the morning and the #1 rod turned into a pretzel. 

Barry in Cloudy Wisconsin.
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »
Well, rest assured that i did more than a couple sets til I got the system down pat. It quite litterally only takes a few minutes to do a set of bowls now, but it took jigs and alot of sets to get to this point.
  to bad on the CBX, they're a very cool bike, sad to come to such an inglorious ending. steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
Seal all will resist I think. Been awhile since I have used it. I used to use it to seal gastank pinholes with JB over top to protect the seal all from rock chips.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1