Author Topic: Backfire  (Read 9439 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Backfire
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
I've been getting loud backfires out the right pipe on deceleration.  Thoughts?  Recently did valves, all is good.  Carb settings?

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Backfire
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
The old saying goes "check the last thing ya did" If you didn't have the backfire before the adjust than I would pull the cover a re-check them.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
A backfire in the pipe is usually a rich mixture encountering oxygen. So, like SNARF said, check those valves again and be sure you don't have a tight exhaust valve on cylinder 3 or 4. Other than that, a leak in the exhaust allowing air in might cause a backfire. Overly rich mixture, high float setting etc. will be the other end of the spectrum to look at.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
No, the backfire was there before I did the valves.  One of the exhaust valves on I think 3 was tight, so I adjusted that.  Still pops.  Maybe it's the exhuast gasket?  The rear tire was replaced a while ago so maybe the gasket got damaged at the dealer?

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
No, the backfire was there before I did the valves.  One of the exhaust valves on I think 3 was tight, so I adjusted that.  Still pops.  Maybe it's the exhuast gasket?  The rear tire was replaced a while ago so maybe the gasket got damaged at the dealer?
OMG there is the problem.  Gremlins run amuck at dealers.  Who knows what you picked up while your bike was there.  I would think if your exhaust gasket was bad you would be able to hear it going pffft...pffft...pffft...pffft...
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
OMG there is the problem.  Gremlins run amuck at dealers.  Who knows what you picked up while your bike was there.  I would think if your exhaust gasket was bad you would be able to hear it going pffft...pffft...pffft...pffft...

Yeah... It was just a tire change though... 

Well I don't think I hear that sound so maybe it isn't the gasket.  Maybe carb settings, which may well have been f*cked up by an imbecile of a mechanic I had the misfortune to entrust this bike to soon after I got it for a throttle cable replacement.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:30:15 PM »
Easy test, put a section of hose on your drain nipples. Open the drain and check your float height.
Dont forget to burp the air bubble out of the line.
2002 Conc

Offline dbethel

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
I've been getting loud backfires out the right pipe on deceleration.  Thoughts?  Recently did valves, all is good.  Carb settings?
Is your air injection system working properly? It takes care of the unburnt fuel in the exhaust before the mufflers.
D.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
Is your air injection system working properly? It takes care of the unburnt fuel in the exhaust before the mufflers.
D.
Mine are blocked off, no backfiring here.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »

I had the same start on my bike, worse when cooler weather hit. Found the rubber nipple I  had on the #3 carb vacumn port had split and wasn't doing a thing. I also have all the emissions air valves removed.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
D.

It's blocked off.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 11:19:05 AM »
It's blocked off.

And there in lies the tributlations people will experience with jumping in with mods without considering the effects of multiple mods combined. the correctly functioning air injection system, coupled with an exhaust mod, will compensate. but when pieces are replaced without doing one part at a time, results like this occur. I have a feeling the only cure will be to begin leaning out the mixture a bit, and going the route of Bubba's 2 min mod now.
I would also add that the Aircut valves n carb 1 & 3 need to be looked at, likely those diaphragms are perforated and non functioning...and the pistons in there are hanging open  likely allowing a more than required amount of fuel to flow during backoff of the throttle.
Couple this with a less restrictive exhaust, that has a larger volume of area for air and unburnt fuel to mix and pop off in...well, there is the equation.
Again, i will say that when the air injection and aircut valves are working correctly, backfiring does not occur...goes to show Big K actually knew what they were doing when they put the complete system into play.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
2002 Conc

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but European GTR's didn't have the air injection system to start with? I know of many Euro C-10's running with non stock exhaust systems, mainly the Motad N-ETA, and no one's got problems with backfires.

So, in essence, with Snarf's (or similar) block off plates in place, you've effectivey got a Euro C-10  :-\.

How about checking for air leaks between the carbs and the engine block and just tighten the clips to be on the safe side?
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »
:popcorn: :popcorn:
Big difference between a backfire and a bike that burbles or growls loudly on cutting the throttle which is what you will often get when a bike is set up with block-off plates, free flowing exhaust and a rich fuel fixture. Which is exactly how my bike is set up. Backfiring can be caused by many variables several of which includes an overly lean mixture, exhaust leaks, valve seat issues just to name a few.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: Bubba.....Where's Bubba...?... 8) :popcorn:

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but European GTR's didn't have the air injection system to start with? I know of many Euro C-10's running with non stock exhaust systems, mainly the Motad N-ETA, and no one's got problems with backfires.

So, in essence, with Snarf's (or similar) block off plates in place, you've effectivey got a Euro C-10  :-\.

How about checking for air leaks between the carbs and the engine block and just tighten the clips to be on the safe side?
I for one sure am glad that somebody brought up the GTR model bike. I was trying to figure out how to discuss this without sounding biased. I honestly do not think the plates or the exhaust cam gear are the problem. I have forgotten to tighten up my block-off plates before. The bike made a hell of a racket but still ran without issue.
2002 Conc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
Lets deal with this fellow's USA bike, as I doubt he's riding  GTR.....
1- GTR had restrictive carb tops that the spring projection moulded in did not allow as much slide opening as US models.
2-many Euro models actually had coolant pasages in the carbs to prevent freezeups.
3-euro models were jetted much leaner
4- I don't believe ALL years were delivered without the air injection
5-I DO believe they were all assembled WITH the air-cut valves on body 1&4
6-Euro bikes were all delivered producing reduced H.P. from the american counterparts.

with that said, we do not know at this time HOW he negated the air injection, and he MAY have a leak, which WOULD cause this problem. Leaky carb boots do not generally create this scenario as that leak is on the inlet side, and intake and exh valves working correctly negate this from occuring. Backfiring (not burble) occurs when a rich exhaust mixture is exposed to oxygen midway or futher from there before the end of the exhaust unless there is an exhaust valve hanging open or timing issue exist. A leaky exhaust pipe gasket is NOT generally a cause, as the pipe is pressurized at this point, and usually does not "suck in air".
The air cut valves still can be dumping excessive raw gas enrichening the mixture as they were intended, and this can cause the problem as they function only on decelleration mode of the carburation cycle.
We still do not know if the exhaust is stock, or the aftermarket has a non-conducive volume (sized accordingly for the actual flow).

I'm still awaiting Bubba's thought here.... :popcorn:

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
Another big cause of back fire is no more complicated than a spark plug that is not firing 100 percent of the time. This could be from a loose connection, corroded wires, defective plug boot or even a defective spark plug. You've got to start with the basics and for me it starts with a sound engine; check compression and/or cylinder leak down and work outwards from there.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
Another big cause of back fire is no more complicated than a spark plug that is not firing 100 percent of the time. This could be from a loose connection, corroded wires, defective plug boot or even a defective spark plug.

good point, I fully agree, and plugs should be inspected closely for color and function. An intermittantly firing plug will exhibit the same outcome.