Author Topic: Woke up with wood  (Read 19966 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Woke up with wood
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »
When I used wood for heating, I did it as long as the trees in my yard lasted.  After that it got a bit expensive.
Neighbor objected to burning his trees?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »
Like my dear departed Daddy used to say, "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Neighbor objected to burning his trees?

Look, I only cut the trees up that fell in my yard from the neighbors..course I may have helped them a bit at times.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
Not really but seeing as you mention it: wood is a solar fuel, not a fossil fuel, and it is carbon- neutral, not carbon- positive like fossil fuels. The normal cycle for trees is that they grow, die and rot, with seedlings repeating the cycle ad nauseum. Carbon- neutral. If you burn the same wood, you are merely speeding the cycle, not changing what would normally or naturally happen. This assumes the wood is burned cleanly, without particulate emissions (smoke). This is quite different from, say, burning coal, which was happily sitting in the ground as carbon. When we dig it up and burn it, we make a pile (technical term) of carbon dioxide that would have never been formed naturally.

And now for the trivia question: What is the 'greenest' car you can own? The one you already own. Buying a new, more efficient car causes a tremendous amount of greenhouse gasses to be generated before you ever take possession of it. Better to be less efficient per mile and NOT cause the new car to be built at all. :-)

Brian

Aren't you just a little concerned about your carbon footprint? Remember the mammoth.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
None of my vehicles are green.  I have one that's silver, one sea foam, one grey and white, and of course the bike which isn't green.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2015, 06:51:14 PM »
sea foam?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
Do you guys with the wood burners use the stove pipe to heat your water too?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
I do not, and not that I know of generally. The new stoves are so efficient that it would not work well anyway- the flue gasses are only around 350F on my stove when it enters the thimble.

Most people who want to heat domestic hot water use wood- fired boilers, sometimes outside, sometimes inside. They have a bad rep. for smoking but the good ones are really excellent. I came close to buying an AHS boiler some years ago but just could not make it work, money- wise. And now I am too old; I would never recoup my investment at this point (see the other thread with the bad news regarding mortality :-(   ).

Brian

Do you guys with the wood burners use the stove pipe to heat your water too?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »