Author Topic: Givi 55 and custom mounting plate  (Read 8390 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Givi 55 and custom mounting plate
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
I just replaced one of those JC Whitney (genuine Chinese) top boxes with a Givi 55 for the extra room, and so that the JC W. type didn't break the striker off and commit suicide on the highway.

There are a couple of ways to mount one of these to a C-14 but there is also some question about the strength of the mounts. The Givi also is about 2 inches more forward than the JC W. type was given the same mounting bracket. So I decided to make a stronger plate that would also mount the Givi further toward the rear to give my wife more room. The plate is 3/8" 6061-T6 aluminum, and has a S.W. Motech top box mounting kit adapted to it. The Motech kit provides the forward pins to mount the Givi, as well as the rear mounting tongue and four rubber bumpers to provide a place for the box to rest on the plate as well as stopping the box from rattling. My design includes an additional pair of bolts forward of the main luggage rack mounting positions and they make the entire mount considerably stronger without having to use external supports like the Givi 55 box mount itself does. Of course the plate had to be modified to fit everything as most prototypes do. But the plate is quite strong and fairly light (4 lbs.) and I am pretty confident it will carry anything a rational person might want to put into or mount onto that Givi top box. I also have plans for things to mount below the new plate but that will happen later.

Kirby shown just for size and age reference: Kirby is small and very old, the rack plate is new and medium sized.

A quick stress analysis showed that the angled slots provide much better resistance to the rack wracking than straight slots did. They also provide more bending resistance at the mounting tongue, where the box will load the plate, than smaller, straight slots.

A coat of semi- flat paint will finish the plate, make it much less visible and protect it from corrosion.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Re: Givi 55 and custom mounting plate
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
Glad you found my MOM and she still like to ride.
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline rar

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
Definitely looks better than the GIVI mounts ( I have the 55 with GIVI mounts).  Looks like the mounting plate could handle the weight but I would be a little worried about the strength without the additional brackets.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
That rack looks very thick! It looks to be well designed BDF. It is good that you took your wifes needs into consideration when you made this. More room for you So makes for a happier time together. I'm sure she will be thankful for the room. Hopefully the dead rodent in the picture, isn't the SO!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
Well, at least Kirby is not MY SO. I think Kirby is a male but to be honest I cannot tell 'cause the parts we use to tell the difference may have either fallen off or they were never there.

I made that plate specifically for Andrea- the new box on the old mounting plate forced her forward and changed her posture to the point of being uncomfortable.

The plate is 3/8 of an inch thick and not thinned anywhere but the front mounting pads. It does not deflect significantly with a 100 pound load, and I can pick the back of the bike up by the back edge of the rack. It weighs just under four pounds.

Brian

That rack looks very thick! It looks to be well designed BDF. It is good that you took your wifes needs into consideration when you made this. More room for you So makes for a happier time together. I'm sure she will be thankful for the room. Hopefully the dead rodent in the picture, isn't the SO!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
my GIVI mount has been awesome just polain ole stock.  If i told you how much weight has been hauled in my E55 you all wouldn't beleive me anyway. 2-up no lady has complained yet about the stock position, and Teressa has been 2-up on 600 mile days.

But that custom mount is very purdy and if you sleep better thats great.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
Yep, I would have used Phil's rack if I could. The custom plate was made to move the Givi 55 back two inches from the position either Phil's rack, the Givi mounting system or the S.W. Motech mounting plate places the top box. I did not make that plate to have one stronger, just to move the box back. The stronger part is just a nice by- product.

Brian (my rack's tougher than your rack)

my GIVI mount has been awesome just polain ole stock.  If i told you how much weight has been hauled in my E55 you all wouldn't beleive me anyway. 2-up no lady has complained yet about the stock position, and Teressa has been 2-up on 600 mile days.

But that custom mount is very purdy and if you sleep better thats great.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
be careful moving it back, I put so much weight in mine traction control keeps it from wheelying and mine is in stock position
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine