Author Topic: 2010 Worth It?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline cl601

2010 Worth It?
« on: April 30, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »
I am looking to upgrade my bike and a Concours 14 is my top choice.  How much of an upgrade is the 2010  over the 08 and 09?  Specifically how bad is the heat on legs in the 08?  I ride most every day through the summer in Missouri and don’t want to cook myself. 
I have found a couple of 08 and 09 bikes in great shape, and I can add an taller windscreen and heated grips, but is it worth it to look for a 2010 or later for the heating issue?

Offline l.u.v

Re: 2010 Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
Definitely worth it!
Above all you have K-act ABS with linked brakes and Traction Control. Large front fairings, no problems with heating, good visibility on mirrors.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 03:32:23 PM »
imho, it all depends on what you wear, and how you ride.

I've owned an '08 since '7/07, but, I wear an Aerostich 2 piece suit, and shin high specific m/c boots. Never held any real credibility to the "heat issue", as I protect my shins.. and, in colder weather, it's a nice feature.. if you wear jeans, and ride around town at slow speeds... well, it may not suit you. But you mention wanting grip heaters.. funny pairing of comments in the same posting. Personally, I don't want linked brakes, and am completely happy with my bike, being an ABS only model.  Buying a '10, unless it had been sold late, and had extended warranties added on, just doesn't really over come anything, as you basically are buying an older model, with no warranties... so it's a coin toss, and whatever suits your budget thing... there are a lot of '08-'09 rolling around, and most owners of those simply love them, as do I.
Also, having watched the progression of "issues reported" since the beginning, when I was a Tech Editor for COG, the most common year I saw being problematic, was the '10 model.. not saying it was a lemon, but mentioning that I've seen more "issues" when that model was ridden hard (i.e. linked brakes being new, ABS pump issues, and transmission issues.. minimally, but they happened.), if I was to buy a "newer model", which I don't think will ever happen due to my age, and they haven't made the bike loose weight.. I'd jump well forward to '15 and later, where extended warranties, and less issues, are being documented. again, JMHO. YMMV.
ride safe, and best of luck with whatever you end up with...   I will note tho, the '08 model, with a Mountain Runner Premium flash, and good tires, is the supreme Concours zG1400 to have.. they were made right, and perform extraordinarily well..... and the '08 released bikes had very few problems.. ask around.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »
I would say it is worth it.  There are enough positive differences to easily justify a desire to have a 2gen over a 1gen.  The only possible "negative", which is not always a negative, and most people don't care, would be the linked brakes.  Oh, and only 1 active fob (and 1 passive) instead of 2 active.  Otherwise:

Traction control
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined one
White dash lights (instead of yucky red)
Computer display control switch on handlebar
Higher mirrors
Better looking fairings
Better heat control fairings
Heat shield on exhaust midpipe
Larger windscreen
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering
Better back pressure control in dash
Variable heated grips
FEA Mode
Auto-locking glove box
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop)
Ambient temp indicator
Much better oil pan drain location
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:24:06 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
Until he gives the comparative prices he has found.... "worth" has a different meaning.. if you get my drift..
peace..

Otherwise:

Traction control..........    I don't want it... don't need it... don't want another failure mode $$
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined one.....  never had issue with mine, many '10 models did... pump...$$$
Traction control.... I have traction control, right hand.. don't need mine shutting down when I want to spin tires..$$$
White dash lights (instead of yucky red)..... Old eyes, amber/red is much nicer on them than glaring white..but I do ride long distances at night... i.e., spend time on the bike..

Computer display control switch on handlebar... I can reach my buttons when I feel the need... don't need them at my fingertips all the time....

Higher mirrors.... I stuck Micro Magnafier mirrors on my OEMS same day I bought the bike...
Better looking fairings.... meh... I like mine, and I pulled off the extended vents anyways.. my personal choice..
Better heat control fairings... subjective... If you make sure the block off foam is correctly positioned, no big dealeo...

Larger windscreen.... meh... I have alaminar lip on mine, works fine, don't need a huge wind buffeting sail up front anyway...
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering.. don't need that, mine adjusts, another thing to fail.. and cost...$$$
Better back pressure control in dash.. really, better than?...
Variable heated grips... never needed them, rode year round in Va., with a Gerbing liner in Stich, hands stayed warm..
FEA Mode.. don't need it.. $$$ failure mode
Auto-locking glove box... which when it fails... $$$$
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop)... I am flashed.. don't need no steeenking ECO.. get 50 mpg on my '08 now
Ambient temp indicator... don't need a weatherman to tell me where the wind blows/ don't care either. cold is cold.
Much better oil pan drain location.... this one is the only thing you noted, that stands merit.. ok, I agree, but.. mines still good...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
I would say it is worth it.  There are enough positive differences to easily justify a desire to have a 2gen over a 1gen.  The only possible "negative", which is not always a negative, and most people don't care, would be the linked brakes.  Oh, and only 1 active fob (and 1 passive) instead of 2 active.  Otherwise:

Traction control
Never knew I needed it.
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined one
ABS would be beneficial
Traction control
Redundant
White dash lights (instead of yucky red)
Subjective
Computer display control switch on handlebar
Could be convenient
Higher mirrors
Meh
Better looking fairings
Subjective...but nah
Better heat control fairings
Didn't have a problem with heat
Changed the pipe to aftermarket
Larger windscreen
Changed to aftermarket
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering
Mine stays where I put it
Better back pressure control in dash
Dash back pressure?
Variable heated grips
OK if you like that sort of thing
FEA Mode
WTF?
Auto-locking glove box
Which a lot of folk disconnect
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop)
Ambient temp indicator
OK if you need the foo foo stuff
Much better oil pan drain location
Don't jump curbs

8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
Until he gives the comparative prices he has found.... "worth" has a different meaning.. if you get my drift..
peace..

Otherwise:

Traction control..........    I don't want it... don't need it... don't want another failure mode $$
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined one.....  never had issue with mine, many '10 models did... pump...$$$
Traction control.... I have traction control, right hand.. don't need mine shutting down when I want to spin tires..$$$
White dash lights (instead of yucky red)..... Old eyes, amber/red is much nicer on them than glaring white..but I do ride long distances at night... i.e., spend time on the bike..

Computer display control switch on handlebar... I can reach my buttons when I feel the need... don't need them at my fingertips all the time....

Higher mirrors.... I stuck Micro Magnafier mirrors on my OEMS same day I bought the bike...
Better looking fairings.... meh... I like mine, and I pulled off the extended vents anyways.. my personal choice..
Better heat control fairings... subjective... If you make sure the block off foam is correctly positioned, no big dealeo...

Larger windscreen.... meh... I have alaminar lip on mine, works fine, don't need a huge wind buffeting sail up front anyway...
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering.. don't need that, mine adjusts, another thing to fail.. and cost...$$$
Better back pressure control in dash.. really, better than?...
Variable heated grips... never needed them, rode year round in Va., with a Gerbing liner in Stich, hands stayed warm..
FEA Mode.. don't need it.. $$$ failure mode
Auto-locking glove box... which when it fails... $$$$
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop)... I am flashed.. don't need no steeenking ECO.. get 50 mpg on my '08 now
Ambient temp indicator... don't need a weatherman to tell me where the wind blows/ don't care either. cold is cold.
Much better oil pan drain location.... this one is the only thing you noted, that stands merit.. ok, I agree, but.. mines still good...

Don't listen to that Luddite.  He'd be happy on a C10.  All those things are good.  Heat management is better on the Gen2 than the Gen1.  If you're scared of the heat then ride a V-Twin and then you'll appreciate the warmth of the C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »
Luddite?...
now go away, or I shall taunt you again, wiper of other people's bottoms...

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »
My bike is a 2008 with a 2010 stuffed inside it - except for the linked brakes, I disabled that because it was too intrusive. My husband has a 2010.

Traction controlOnly tripped it once, but handy to have
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined onecan't say I noticed a difference
Traction control
White dash lights (instead of yucky red)I thought I liked the red, but the white turned out to be quite pleasant
Computer display control switch on handlebar this I use all the time. I do miss the headlight flasher though
Higher mirrors Definitely.I still wish I could lift the 08 mirrors
Better looking fairings No way. Not ever.
Better heat control fairings summer temps here are in the high 40 degrees celsius. I can't feel a difference between bikes
Heat shield on exhaust midpipe makes it a little cooler on the sole of the foot
Larger windscreen windscreens are the most subjective thing on the whole bike
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering I love this
Better back pressure control in dash another thing that I can't feel a difference between bikes
Variable heated grips a big plus
FEA Mode Fuel economy mode? Have reflash, only need main map. If you want ECO you have to turn it back on every time you start the bike. Proper pain in the posterior
Auto-locking glove box depeds where you live. Out here we don't need no stinkin' locks
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop) total waste of time
Ambient temp indicator Is it hot, or just me? Yes hot, time to remove jacket liner
Much better oil pan drain location much easier to put a jack under when removing the front wheel
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 11:15:51 PM »
:)

I love how most of what people don't have they think they don't want, don't need, isn't useful, can somehow add/work-around, or will be some kind of future failure.

Personally, I love all of the additional improvements and features.  But, then, I am never happy and always thinking about more.  Farkling to the rescue!  (Where did that word come from, anyway??)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline l.u.v

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 12:16:18 AM »

Sure. And I think this guy thought the same way, he didn't need to. (min 26.40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6olw5NXGns

Offline l.u.v

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:17:40 AM »
I love how most of what people don't have they think they don't want, don't need, isn't useful, can somehow add/work-around, or will be some kind of future failure.
I love too.. ;)

Offline cl601

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  It doesn't sound like the upgrades were that life changing.  Some of the things I like, some I don't care for, but none can I live without. 
I will let you all know when I pull the trigger.  Owned my CX500 for 25 years, so this is a big jump.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
I owned a Gl500 SilverWing for a few years...my first bike.  Loved the engine configuration.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »

Traction control     Don't need
Guaranteed ABS, and a more refined one Bought my 2009 over the 2010 because it did not have ABS
White dash lights (instead of yucky red) Prefer red, especially at night
Computer display control switch on handlebar  no need
Higher mirrors  Never had an issue with the 2009 mirrors
Better looking fairings Really, says who?
Better heat control fairings  Never found heat to be an issue
Heat shield on exhaust midpipe  Okay..l. has this been a big issue? Never noticed
Larger windscreen  I have a medium CalSci and can look over it
Windscreen memory & auto-lowering A solution in search of a problem.
Better back pressure control in dash  The CalSci solved that issue
Variable heated grips  Would be okay, but not necessary, and I do ride in the winter. I would probably rather go with heated gloves
FEA Mode Decent option on long trips, but again, not necessary, and not enough to lose what I like about the 2009
Auto-locking glove box Lord no. I hate any auto-locking anything. I also prefer the location of the 2009 box.
ECO ride indicator (not much of a whoop) Yee haw...
Ambient temp indicator Because you can't tell what the temp is outside riding a motorcycle. Ha!
Much better oil pan drain location Good move on Kawasaki's part, yet, I have not hit mine.

To sum it up, it all comes down to preference. I hate linked brakes on any bike with the word, "sport" in its description. In fact, Kawasaki listed non-linked brakes as a benefit in their promotional material for the 2008 and 2009 models, emphasizing the thought that linked brakes are not for a sport bike. The had to quietly drop that after linking the brakes.

To each their own. All C14 models are nice, I just hate linked brakes on a sport bike. I have owned a bike with linked brakes, and though I didn't feel it needed them, it didn't bother me, it was a Goldwing. I just see absolutely no need for them, except for people who don't know how to use both brakes.

Offline l.u.v

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
I don't understand what's the problem, after 2010 there is a button who disables linked brakes. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
I don't understand what's the problem, after 2010 there is a button who disables linked brakes.

No there isn't.

Only 2010+ has linked brakes (2008/2009 do not).  And there is no way to disable it.  There is a control that allows two "strengths" of linking, low and high.  The setting is "permanent" so it retains over start cycles.  I set mine to low and moved on.  Doesn't bother me or most people.  But there are some people for whom even the "low" mode is annoying because they don't want the front brakes activated at all when the rear brake is activated (usually done for trail braking in very spirited driving).

Offline l.u.v

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 10:37:14 PM »
Aha, interesting!
I assumed there can cut off totally the linked brake.
Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
Aha, interesting! I assumed there can cut off totally the linked brake.

It is not an unreasonable assumption.  Nobody knows exactly what Kawasaki was thinking when they implementated a "high" and "low" setting, but no "off", and stuck with it over the years.  Traction control can be turned off, although it is temporary.