Author Topic: Be careful! ... I guess?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Conniesaki

Be careful! ... I guess?
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:19:00 AM »
A motorcycle rider in Florida was killed on Sunday when he was struck by lightning while driving on Interstate 95. The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported that the motorcyclist from Charlotte, North Carolina suffered the fatal crash after lightning struck his helmet.

Florida Highway Patrol Capt. Kim Montes told reporters that a Virginia State Police trooper had happened to see the accident while on vacation. He told law enforcement that he saw a bolt of lightning strike the man's helmet a second before the deadly crash.

The 45-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:11 p.m. on Sunday. His name has not been released to the public. Montes confirmed there were scorch marks left on the helmet which indicated it had been hit by lightning.

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson is cited as describing the helmet as shattered.

The highway patrol's troop D, operating out of Orlando, has tweeted an image of the biker's helmet. With two large gouges on the top, the helmet is seen lying on the wet tarmac.

"This is what's left of a 45 year old man's helmet after he was struck by lightning, while riding his motorcycle southbound, on I-95 in Volusia County this afternoon. Unfortunately he did not survive the crash," read the caption posted alongside the tweet.

As a result of the traffic accident all three southbound lanes of the I-95 were closed between the highway's State Road 40 and U.S. 1 exits in Ormond Beach, Volusia County Sheriff's Office said. Law enforcement were able to reopen one of the lanes to cars just before 3 p.m.

Officers from the Ormond Beach Police Department and Volusia County Sheriff's Office were in attendance at the scene, responding to calls at the cordoned off area before investigations were handed over in full to the Florida Highway Patrol.

According to the National Weather service, on average 49 people are killed by lightning in the United States each year, based on data collected over the last 30 years. Hundreds more are injured by lightning strikes each year and some can suffer lifelong neurological impairment as a result of the strikes. Only about ten percent of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90 percent with various degrees of disability.

Between 2008-17, Florida had the highest number of fatalities related to lightning strikes, the National Weather Service reported. At total of 47 individuals were killed by lightning in the period of just under ten years. Texas had the second highest number of fatalities from lightning strikes with a total of 20.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-motorcycle-lightning-shattered-helmet-crash-1443054

Here's his helmet:

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Be careful! ... I guess?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:39 AM »
Sometimes, your number is just up.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
Yeah, we had a rider killed in the Norfolk/VA Beach area by lightening some years back.  I've also had the experience of being shocked through my gloves by a near strike.  Went to a nearby McDonalds and waited for the storm to pass.  I don't ride in thunderstorms anymore after that if I can help it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
Now, some helmet standards agency will have to increase the safety requirements of helmets.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
That helmet wasn't DoT approved, either.

It was however, approved by some other organization...
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »
Now, some helmet standards agency will have to increase the safety requirements of helmets.

And require grounding straps from the helmet and jacket to the bike?  That would be fun.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
How do they know the strike didn't kill the guy? Maybe being dead caused the crash.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
That helmet wasn't DoT approved, either.

It was however, approved by some other organization...

The intense electrical field caused a polarity reversal, inverting the matter state.  (We really shouldn't be making fun, since the poor guy did get killed, but we are who we are.)

RIP fellow rider.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
Too soon?

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
And require grounding straps from the helmet and jacket to the bike?  That would be fun.

No, they will just make lightning rods mandatory on the back of all bikes like the one below, then have chains connected to the frame under the bike that drag on the ground like ambulances have.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »
And that is hard or impossible for a lot of people to live with. So instead, we create superstitions and various other beliefs / customs to avoid anything 'bad' happening to us, individually, if we, again individually, do certain things as required by our [superstitions / beliefs / customs / religions / ad infinitum. This IS the root cause of all of our organized systematic rituals.... to keep 'the evil' at bay.

Bottom line is that in the end, it is nothing but the luck of the draw and neither the most serious disciple of any organized 'anti- evil group' or any individual personal actions (throwing salt over a shoulder, etc.) will stop it from happening.

Stuff happens. Often it happens to people (and ants, lizards, elephants, ad nauseum) but as many of us will not accept that, we make a part time job out of pretending we can avoid it or reduce the consequences. But let's face it: if lightening strikes us, we are toast and there is no way to 'ward that off'. And yes, a true lightening strike is always fatal and not pretty- those people who claim to have been struck by lightening and survived were really touched by what are called 'feeders' around the actual bolt. No mammal has ever survived nor will ever survive an actual 'lightening' (the actual bolt) strike.

But then again, I have thrown salt, prayed to the god Zeus (the god of lightening), avoided all black cats and ladders so I am covered for the foreseeable future.  ::) :o :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Sometimes, your number is just up.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
And that is hard or impossible for a lot of people to live with. So instead, we create superstitions and various other beliefs / customs to avoid anything 'bad' happening to us,

Or worse- more regulations, laws, agencies, and government programs to try to handle it.  And usually based on emotional responses instead of actual facts and rational statistical data.  It continuously sucks away our freedom, money, and sanity in a false cloak of "safety."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »
Just to show that you aren't safe ANYWHERE.  When the Reaper comes for you it doesn't matter where you are, what you are doing

From local newspaper, several years ago:

SOUTH BEND, IND.

Tree crashes through roof, kills man watching TV in bed

A large tree limb crashed through a roof and killed a man in his bed.
   Police called to the home of David Wetzel, 41, on Wednesday night found a branch 3 feet to 5 feet in diameter lying across the man’s chest.
   The tree appeared to be healthy, and investigators did not immediately know what caused the limb to fall.
   “It is just one of those unforeseen, tragic events,” said Jaimee Thirion, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Department. “It was not storming, and the wind was hardly blowing.”
   Wetzel’s wife and son were also home at the time but were not hurt.  His wife told officers she was in the kitchen and her husband was watching television in bed.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.