Author Topic: Question about roads near Big Stone Gap,VA\Cumberland,KY  (Read 1604 times)

Offline carlntia

Question about roads near Big Stone Gap,VA\Cumberland,KY
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »
I'm looking at heading in that direction from Greeneville,TN on Friday. The road from Big Stone Gap to Cumberland, KY looks pretty twisty.  Then around on 119 to 932? to 620?(route numbers look confusing) and down into the Norton area looks interesting too. Is anyone familiar with those areas that can give me an idea whether this is a good ride?

Thanks,
Carl
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:44:46 AM by carlntia »
2009 C14

Offline Charliedog

Re: Question about roads near Big Stone Gap,VA\Cumberland,KY
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Those three digit roads are probably Virginia secondary roads-perhaps close to county roads in other states-and may not be paved, especially if you come across one that is not on the official state road map.  Good luck, ride safe.

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline carlntia

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Well we completed this route as well as many others in NC,TN,VA, and KY over 4 days in the mountains. I'll see about a seperate ride report on other routes, but here's my take on this one. All of the roads were in good condition as far as paving and lack of heaves. Leaving Big Stone Gap, we rolled through Appalachia, VA and headed up route 160 (and I do mean UP). The road climbs Black Mountain pretty aggressively till you reach the top somewhere over 4000 feet. Views are pretty open, but there are no pullouts to stop and look. Unfortunately on this side there was a good bit of gravel washed into the roadway and we had to climb a bit more conservatively than usual. Coming down the KY side was more wooded and dropped a bit more gradually. Overall a good ride which would be even better if/when the gravel gets off the road. After a brief stop in Cumberland, KY , we were headed northeast on 119 through alot of fun sweeping turns. We turned off of 119 at 932 and headed into a narrower road through the backwoods. Road was great fun - again with many nice turns and good road condition. I rode so many good roads this past week I've lost some of the detail  I was mentally arranging for this post during my ride, but let's suffice to say this is a fun circuit over and through the mountains if you get a chance to do it. Mountain riding season is upon us - go get you some!

Carl
2009 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
those roads are some of the best in Va., heading a bit more north would have you here:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13216.0
Another awesome area.
We always caution folks about these roads prior to April, as they always see a higher amount of weather change, and seem to always have more washed gravel to beware of up untill end of May. It's all part of the experience though, and awareness of hazards should be common sense.
 ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
...and don't drive into the fog!