Author Topic: Value?  (Read 5704 times)

Offline MIST

Value?
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:18:54 PM »
Why does the C14 not hold it's value? I have a 2010 ABS model with 4100 miles. I visited a local dealership (not Kawasaki) today and test rode a motorcycle. While I was out the dealer calculated the trade in value of my C14. When I returned I was told there was good news and bad news. The good news was the discounted selling price of the motorcycle I test rode. The bad news was my C14 is only worth 8K on trade in. Holy $#!+, what's up with that? I'm no virgin when it comes to buying / selling / trading of motorcycles; I've owned 21 different motorcycles in the last 12 years. Rarely have I had more than 1 in the garage and never more than 2. The C14 is the only one that I would lose my shirt on if I decided to move on to something else.

With that said, luckily out of all of them this is the one that trips my trigger the most and it's a keeper. At least until Mama Kaw decides to move into the 21st century and add electronic cruise control to what's already the top sport tourer on the planet.

(Based upon the last statement don't flame me for having a moment of temporary insanity for test riding something else. I know I should've known better. But it's times like these that make one realize how good they've got it and they don't have to look elsewhere. I rode home from the dealership with the feeling that I was nuts for even thinking about letting go of the C14 in the first place.)
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Value?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »
Mine is priceless...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
$8k isn't that bad for trade-in, I only paid $10k for mine brand new as a left over model. Plus a dealer will usually only give you about 80% of what you could typically get for it if you sold it yourself to a private party...

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »

\At least until Mama Kaw decides to move into the 21st century and add electronic cruise control to what's already the top sport tourer on the planet.

I just added a Mccruise unit...  Worth every penny and I now have Cruise :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
Jap bikes have very little  resell value.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
I think you will find that all motorcycles devaluate pretty seriously. Some think that bikes like Harleys retain a higher value but in fact they lose the same percentage, and therefore more real dollars, in value than Japanese bikes generally.

Honda Goldwings seem to command more used than most other types but even that is taking a hit lately it seems.

Brian

Jap bikes have very little  resell value.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
Anytime you buy a bike brand new be prepared to never come out ahead ever, even after only a month it drops a good 20+% compared to new value IMO...

I've had a couple dozen bikes over the past 25+ years, my Connie that I bought last fall was my first "new" purchase, I never would have bought new but they were just blowing out the left over models and it turned out to be within $1k of a used one so I splurged... man I loved that new bike smell...  :P

Note to future buyers, wait for the left over models sales, save that $4k for farkles, I did and don't regret it a bit!  :thumbs: :)

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
Why does the C14 not hold it's value? I have a 2010 ABS model with 4100 miles. I visited a local dealership (not Kawasaki) today and test rode a motorcycle. While I was out the dealer calculated the trade in value of my C14. When I returned I was told there was good news and bad news. The good news was the discounted selling price of the motorcycle I test rode. The bad news was my C14 is only worth 8K on trade in. Holy $#!+, what's up with that? I'm no virgin when it comes to buying / selling / trading of motorcycles; I've owned 21 different motorcycles in the last 12 years. Rarely have I had more than 1 in the garage and never more than 2. The C14 is the only one that I would lose my shirt on if I decided to move on to something else.

With that said, luckily out of all of them this is the one that trips my trigger the most and it's a keeper. At least until Mama Kaw decides to move into the 21st century and add electronic cruise control to what's already the top sport tourer on the planet.

(Based upon the last statement don't flame me for having a moment of temporary insanity for test riding something else. I know I should've known better. But it's times like these that make one realize how good they've got it and they don't have to look elsewhere. I rode home from the dealership with the feeling that I was nuts for even thinking about letting go of the C14 in the first place.)
You wanna demo a bike that will make you think twice about trading in connie....

Give the new BMW K1600GTL a ride. What a nice bike! Tho I would prefer the GT, than the GTL.

I was able to demo one yesterday, and yeah, very nice!
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
You wanna demo a bike that will make you think twice about trading in connie....

Give the new BMW K1600GTL a ride. What a nice bike! Tho I would prefer the GT, than the GTL.

I was able to demo one yesterday, and yeah, very nice!

talking about taste...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:46:55 AM »
I was at my LBS today and saw VFR1200's on sale.  $11k for the manual, $11.5k for the auto.  Both 2010's.  Good thing I'm not in the market and the garage is already full.  At $15k+, they didn't interest me, but at that price I could be tempted, at least for the manual shift version.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »

I'm sure that no one will flame you for taking a look at another bike, depending...

What was it that you test rode?   8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:26 AM »
I was at my LBS today and saw VFR1200's on sale.  $11k for the manual, $11.5k for the auto.  Both 2010's.  Good thing I'm not in the market and the garage is already full.  At $15k+, they didn't interest me, but at that price I could be tempted, at least for the manual shift version.

this is just my opinion: if you're interested in the new VFR, be sure to try it before commiting. It's a weird bike. I didn't like it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
The OP also mentioned he was looking at a new bike that was discounted.  If so, you'll never get decent money trading in for  a new bike thats discounted.  Actually, you rarely  do.   But, here was the move that would make a deal almost every time.

Lets say you were looking at trading the Concours on the VFR mentioned here.    As a salesman, you would never mention the vfr selling for 10,500. Instead you would start at 15,000.

The point is, a trade-in offer is only half of the picture.  It is meaningless without knowing your total out of pocket cost to make the switch..."the difference."

I made  a lot of deals based on a high dollar figure given for a use bike. I suppose its good for bragging rights, but rarely equals a good deal for a customer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 10:26:57 AM »
2008/2009 bikes took a double in value- 2010 was much nicer, and leftover discounting (rebates) pulled value down.
When you trade in a bike, dealer makes profit on both ends, from sale of new bike and the trade you give him. That is how it is with cars too.
As for leftovers, you have be careful it is a good deal. For example, as soon as that leftover '08 hits the street, it becomes a three year old bike. While that might not
bother you now, it will if a month later, some soccer mom hits you in her SUV and totals the bike.
Most vehicles (irregardless of type or make) follow the same basic depreciation curve. First year is the biggest, then a smaller amount each succeeding year. Keep it long enough and depreciation can stop and it'll be worth as much as other similar bikes a little newer. For example, check out the prices of Goldwings that are 8 years old and ten years old- they'll probably be similar. If you are worried about value, the best bet is to buy a slightly used '10. That lets someone else pay the premium for new bike smell.
As for HD values- I think it a myth.HD is most popular with working class folks and they are the most likely to be unemployed. In my area, HD is very popular with people in the construction trade and the ads are clogged with blinged out HD bikes for sale. Problem is- how many people are out there that want to buy a blinged out used HD? The glut depressed prices. Some owners are stubborn and they'll keep them up for sale for months (like my wife's hair dresser). Personally, I check every now and then, wouldn't mind picking up a Sportster 1200 super cheap from a desperate owner who has the wolves barking at the front door.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
Ducati, BMW, Moto-Guzzy, Aprilia hold value better than jap bikes.  Sure they take a beating like any new item, but if you look at 1 year resale values or such metrics you'll find they don't lose near what the jap bikes do.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
You ALWAYS get butt raped by the dealer on a trade in.  That's true with any vehicle.  They are in it to make a profit both ways.

Your best bet is to either:  1) sell it as a private party through Craigslist or some other local listing service, or 2) if there is a dealer that is willing to sell it on consignment (they get part of the profit, usually about 10%) then do that.  I actually sold a bike on consignment when I bought my Beemer in lieu of a trade in, and I did quite well.  I got almost double what they would have offered as a trade in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
Ducati, BMW, Moto-Guzzy, Aprilia hold value better than jap bikes.  Sure they take a beating like any new item, but if you look at 1 year resale values or such metrics you'll find they don't lose near what the jap bikes do.

They they cost a whole lot more too...
It is pretty typical with just about anything that depreciates.  The higher the initial price, the less rapidly it tends to lose its value.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »

I lost more selling my 2005 BMW LT(bought new in 06) than the purchase price of my 08 connie w/11000 miles.........go figure....love the connie and the beemer was sweet ,but not as a true ridable motorcycle C-14 kicks its butt... opinion of author!!

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
I will just ride the wheels off my C14 since I only have about $7,500 wrapped up in the whole thing.  If I were to sell it now with 40,000 miles on it I would be lucky to get $6,000 out of it and it is worth way more than that to me. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.