Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243773 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
I like this one.

Boeing 747 jumbo jet stuck after mistakenly landing at tiny Kansas airport.
The airfield where the plane landed is around thousand feet too short for the huge airplane to take off.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/massive-boeing-747-jumbo-jet-stuck-after-mistakenly-landing-at-tiny-kansas-airport-8954408.html

I read this one. Jabara airport is located to the NW of Wichita and McConnell AFB is to the south about 10 miles apart. Jabara has runway 18/36 6100'x100'. McConnell has runway 19/01 12000'x150'. Jabara has white-green beacon, McConnell has white-white-green beacon. The list that differentiates these 2 airports is endless. Soooooo I give up, how does one get into the left seat of a 747 and make this mistake?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »
The owners of the plane says if they dump payload and fuel they can fly it out. Unconfirmed radio report.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
Officials say they are good to go.
6100 feet should be enough to get it flying. Thing is they will be dragging it out and then do a max climb after getting a bit more speed. Hope there are no obstacles at the end of the runway and I hope there is a bit of a headwind.

Another question is they were in contact with ATC. Why weren't they told they were going to the wrong airport and that plane shouldn't be landing there?
I haven't seen where there was any cargo aboard, but they were stopping at McConnnell to pick up cargo.
Somebody's butt is going to be in a sling.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
Officials say they are good to go.
6100 feet should be enough to get it flying. Thing is they will be dragging it out and then do a max climb after getting a bit more speed. Hope there are no obstacles at the end of the runway and I hope there is a bit of a headwind.

Another question is they were in contact with ATC. Why weren't they told they were going to the wrong airport and that plane shouldn't be landing there?
I haven't seen where there was any cargo aboard, but they were stopping at McConnnell to pick up cargo.
Somebody's butt is going to be in a sling.

Good question!

McConnell tower 747 heavy on final runway 19
errrr.... no your not!

gwocni

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
Did someone mention Spitfire.................................... :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Spitfire under bridge

The most recognisable aircraft and engine in the world.....................

gwocni

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
As I understand it the V bombers (Valiant / Vulcan / Victor) were designed at a time when SAM technology was poor and the mind set was if you flew high and fast nothing would hurt you................................you guys lost a U2 to a SAM in the Gary Powers incident.  Hence the SR71 a plane that was only publically acknowledged years after its first missions......................That loss of your U2 caused a major rethink of the British mutually assured destruction defence scenario with the government of the day buying Polaris.................................in the stop gap years before that system went live we had to defend ourselves so the low high low mission profile was employed with the V bombers.......................................The Valiant did not stand up to the massively increased airframe stress that low level flying brought and after a series of accidents the fleet was x-rayed and grounded after the main wing spares were found to have fatigue fractures.  You are correct Jim in saying that the Victor went faster / carried more further than the Vulcan but the Vulcan handled the low level work far better than Victor.  The early Victor fleet had already been converted to tankers so the Mk2's went the same way........................The Vulcans at the time of the Falkland's had already been scrapped and the planes were put back to service much to the delight of the public.  The Victors were still in service years later in the Gulf topping up allied planes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v+bombers&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q1qFUvOHKM-ThgegrYDwBQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=587#facrc=_&imgdii=uiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A%3BN_aeICQYyU1FgM%3BuiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A&imgrc=uiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A%3BPe_afdeFxDv1LM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fspeedreaders.info%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2010%252F04%252FVbombers1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fspeedreaders.info%252F191-profiles_of_flight_by_windle_aamp_bowman%3B498%3B368

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&biw=1366&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=9xVHNb1agL2MxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/The_Handley_Page_Victor.html&docid=HWqzGrnQTcZbZM&imgurl=http://www.wingweb.co.uk/wingweb/img/450-Handley_page_victor_b1_hp.jpg&w=450&h=313&ei=MVuFUrG_KdKThQet4oCgDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=187&tbnw=237&start=9&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0&tx=127&ty=122

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&biw=1366&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=wJQ1xt4WYsBIhM:&imgrefurl=http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com/2009/04/falkland-mission-impossible.html&docid=MjyNWQOwQJf9QM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NFtqCMIGTKU/SePWG8-IiOI/AAAAAAAACQw/45xAk5YjuxQ/s400/vulcan3.jpg.jpeg&w=400&h=266&ei=MVuFUrG_KdKThQet4oCgDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=183&tbnw=216&start=9&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0&tx=110&ty=99

I concur :)

gwocni

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
My top three...............

1.... Achtung Spitfeuer.
Spitfire under bridge

2. EE Lightning.......
English.Electric. Lightning story.

3....... I worked on the PR9s......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Canberra

Only in the Royal Air Force..... :finger_fing11:

gwocni

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
And finally, that's the way to do it..........
Aircraft Marshalling 12 Sqn way

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
The owners of the plane says if they dump payload and fuel they can fly it out. Unconfirmed radio report.

From what they said on NBC news, they brought in a new crew, that was able to get it off the ground and into the air.  Here's a link to a local story about the successful takeoff.

Jumbo 747 Dreamlifter takes off after being stranded at tiny Kansas airport

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:32 PM »
Good question!

McConnell tower 747 heavy on final runway 19
errrr.... no your not!

Mostly... except for...
I've flown into many (OK, at least ten) towered airports in a light plane. The radio call from tower is typically "call three mile base one one right..."

In a LARGE plane, the radio work is typically: ATC sez: contact Denver approach 122.95. And this is from 50 miles out. Denver approach will say Contact tower 125.35. Tower will say "cleared landing one one right" from 5-10 miles out. Keep in mind LARGE planes fly substantially faster than a Cessna 152.

How they screwed up landing at that airport is beyond me, but I know it *could* happen. In theory ;)

In their defense (and mine too?), their short field landing/take-off skills are 110%. I quiver a bit when I have to land on a 50' wide 3000' PAVED runway in a 182 at altitude (6,000').

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »
This happens more often than you might think.  When I worked at Renton Airport here in Washington State back in the last 1980's, one day an F-4 Phantom came roaring in amidst the Cessna 150s and Stuper Cubs, scaring the hell out of everybody.  Note that this is a 5,300 foot runway with Lake Washington right at the north end.  The Phantom taxied back to the south end, and after  a slight delay,  went screaming out with A/B, which was rather impressive, actually.  We knew the guys in the tower so we called and asked "WTF??".  Turns out the pilot was taking to, and cleared to land at, King County International Airport, (also called Boeing Field) which is a couple of miles to the west.  I bet that pilot got excited when he noticed the runway he was committed to was missing the last 5,000 feet and had a lake on the end.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Tim

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:47 AM »
But F-4's don't need no stinking runway don't cha know. They know how to cat and trap.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
I read an article yesterday they thought they had landed at Abeech Airport.
So,..
They were supposed to fly to McConnell. They thought they were flying to Beech. They landed at Jabara.
What did they have their instruments set for?
And since they were in contact with the tower at McConnell, couldn't the guys there see there was no plane landing right in front of them?
Once landed ATC THEN told them they landed at the wrong airport. The pilots axed where they were!
They told ATC their GPS coordinates (what was it set for and where did they think they were going if using it).
ATC then told them they had landed at Jabara.
I love how every article I've seen says an airport with a 6000 ft runway is tiny.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »
They said they brought in a new crew to fly it out. I would have liked to hear the conversation between the owner and the crew that dropped it at the wrong airport. It had to be epic.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:43 AM »
I thought that any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

gwocni

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
Many years ago my brother was a flight instructor and crop duster out of Loveland CO. He said he was at Ft. Collins Loveland airport when some guy landed in a Cessna, taxied up to the pumps, got out and asked if he was in North Platte Nebraska. Crystal clear summer day. My brother pointed out those big bumpy things to the west and said they don't have them in North Platte.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
Since someone mentioned the 'non-standard' runway thing kinda sorta, I have to give props to the Swedish Air Force.  One of the 'specs' they have insisted on, at least until recently, was the ability to land their fighter jets on unconventional airstrips (read: roads specially prepared beforehand, to accomodate the craft), be able to service them 'in the field', and with shorter takeoff distances, with the thought that should a war start, their main airbases would likely be toast in short order.

Plus, I've just always liked the lines of the Saab 37 Viggen...
My dad was allowed to ride in the back seat of one during a TDY, which was a very memorable experience for him of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

gwocni

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
And finally, that's the way to do it..........
Aircraft Marshalling 12 Sqn way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz7FI_S0_NE#
You gotta laugh at this, come on guys..............

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Though you would like this one Jim..............................Any news on your Vulcan numbers or id ?  Rode out Friday on 200 mile business trip and went past Sculthorpe base.

Convair YB60