Author Topic: Recommend me books and/or DVDs for advanced riding techniques  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Recommend me books and/or DVDs for advanced riding techniques
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
I am more or less a self taught rider. But want to find out what all tips and technique are out there to make me a better rider. Recommendation on books and/or DVDs?

Also, I will be trying out the techniques on my C14. Is some fall protection recommended?

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Recommend me books and/or DVDs for advanced riding techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
I found Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist very helpful.

Offline jbailey

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »

+1

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
Also I found Ride like a Pro very helpful.  It teaches you everything that you could encounter on a daily basis. Even low speed manuvers like in a parking lot. I have the Ride Like a Pro V

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Maximum Control I thought was a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Control-Mastering-Your-Heavyweight/dp/0760336741

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
Check with your local library. I checked out Ride Like a Pro V last year from my local branch.

To be honest, for me, it was almost worthless. It was SO basic that it just about board me to death.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »
Check with your local library. I checked out Ride Like a Pro V last year from my local branch.

That's a good idea, to see if the library has it.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Total Control by Lee Parks.  I also can't say it LOUD ENOUGH, take an advanced riding course, it is really amazing at just how wrong we can ride and survive.  A set of trained eyes is always better then when we look at ourself.  Do a search and see if there are any Lee Parks classes in your area.  I took in in a torrential downpour, all I got to say is them lines are as slick as snot, but they aint as big as the rest of the area, technique and practice are a sure fire way to be a better rider.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
"Proficient Motorycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David Hough. An oldie but goodie, also available on Kindle. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). Sooner or later you will fall/slide/tip/whatever.

My father used to caution me against riding a motorcycle. He would say "Anything that goes that fast and has to be propped up when it stops will fall down sooner or later."
2014 C-14 Red

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
My father used to caution me against riding a motorcycle. He would say "Anything that goes that fast and has to be propped up when it stops will fall down sooner or later."

I like that one.... !

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. 

Wear your gear.  Don't ride at 100% on the street.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
I learn by doing, and go riding with somebody who is much better than you are. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »

+1

+2

But doing a track school is even better than watching something.  They aren't real expensive either. I attended one at Homestead-Miami International, and once you follow/mimick the pro's around the course, then come in and look at the video's of your body position and such (which will look ridiculous the 1st few sessions) you will gain valuable skills for the street and track.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »
+2

But doing a track school is even better than watching something.  They aren't real expensive either. I attended one at Homestead-Miami International, and once you follow/mimick the pro's around the course, then come in and look at the video's of your body position and such (which will look ridiculous the 1st few sessions) you will gain valuable skills for the street and track.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Steve but doesn't running track days require that you have full leathers?  That isn't cheap although they are good to have when riding seriously.

Dave

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
I just bought 1 piece and turtle back for $140 on Craigslist.  Just keep checking.  The suit was $1,000 new.  Just some scufs on it from a slide on track.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here Steve but doesn't running track days require that you have full leathers?  That isn't cheap although they are good to have when riding seriously.

Dave
Varies on school and purpose of training, we at PSS  (www.pugetsoundsafety.com ) don't require a full blown set of leathers, riding pants and riding jacket, full face helmet (gloves and all that ATGATT stuff).

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:37 AM »
I just bought 1 piece and turtle back for $140 on Craigslist.  Just keep checking.  The suit was $1,000 new.  Just some scufs on it from a slide on track.

What about the inside?  Any, um, "scuffs" in there?

Offline john05.636

• MSF Certified RiderCoach
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Sport Riding Techniques is a good book to read. Better to get yourself signed up for an MSF (http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx) Experienced Rider Course. Assuming you have your MC endorsement on your license. Here in TX you must take the Beginner Rider Course to get your license. The ERC is a 5 hour session (depending on how much the instructor talks) on your own motorcycle.

John