Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672604 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #780 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
Stay thirsty my friend.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Hazards of making chainmaille... Every so often, a ring will escape the grasp of the pliers, and take flight in a random direction, and travel a random distance.  Sometimes it's path is interrupted by an obstacle (face, drinking vessle, etc.).  These rings are normally easy to find. Other times, the ring flies into space unobstructed, never to be seen again.  Well, almost never. 

About a month ago, I was making a necklace for a customer.  Apparently, sometime during that project, I had lost a sterling silver, 5/64", 24 gauge ring. I found that ring tonight. In my foot. After I stepped on it.

The tweezers couldn't grip tight enough.  My smallest pair of needle nose pliers were not narrow enough to get a bite on the bit of metal that hadn't screwed itself into my flesh.  So, I hobbled my way downstairs, into the garage, and fetch my dremmel.  15 minutes later, my pliers are ground down to a nice, long, narrow point.  Using pain as my guide, in about a half an hour I discovered the right direction to twist, and pull, and I got it out.

And the ring is still usable!  Woohoo!!!

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
Well, I upgraded the cpu in this here PC from a 4 core, to a six core chip; video card is next. Tomorrow...half day of work, then hanging out here while the contractor finishes up the master bath.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #783 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
A few days off and I'm going to Tybee $%#^ing Island on the C14 for friends, seafood and of course teressa is meeting me up there.

If anyone is around , I'll be at Ocean Plaza Resort next few days chillin, look me up 8)

Bring a jacket liner, I hear it may get down to 60 degrees
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #784 on: November 15, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
Bring a jacket liner, I hear it may get down to 60 degrees

:battle:

Enjoy

Low fifties and clear skies here in the PNW, ridin weather  8)

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #785 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Low 40's and cloudy here in the Northeast, will be in the low 30's for the ride home tonight.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #786 on: November 15, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
Hazards of making chainmaille... Every so often, a ring will escape the grasp of the pliers, and take flight in a random direction, and travel a random distance.  Sometimes it's path is interrupted by an obstacle (face, drinking vessle, etc.).  These rings are normally easy to find. Other times, the ring flies into space unobstructed, never to be seen again.  Well, almost never. 

About a month ago, I was making a necklace for a customer.  Apparently, sometime during that project, I had lost a sterling silver, 5/64", 24 gauge ring. I found that ring tonight. In my foot. After I stepped on it.

The tweezers couldn't grip tight enough.  My smallest pair of needle nose pliers were not narrow enough to get a bite on the bit of metal that hadn't screwed itself into my flesh.  So, I hobbled my way downstairs, into the garage, and fetch my dremmel.  15 minutes later, my pliers are ground down to a nice, long, narrow point.  Using pain as my guide, in about a half an hour I discovered the right direction to twist, and pull, and I got it out.

And the ring is still usable!  Woohoo!!!

:thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #787 on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
Well, I upgraded the cpu in this here PC from a 4 core, to a six core chip; video card is next. Tomorrow...half day of work, then hanging out here while the contractor finishes up the master bath.

Water cooling next?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #788 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »
I got my telescope out last night to look at the sliver of the moon hanging in the sky. I sat outside for a bit, looking and drinking my beer. Life is good. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #789 on: November 17, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
I got my telescope out last night to look at the sliver of the moon hanging in the sky. I sat outside for a bit, looking and drinking my beer. Life is good.
I got my umbrella out last night, all I saw was raindrops.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #790 on: November 18, 2012, 06:56:05 AM »
I'm at work. Till  tomorrow morning at 0800hrs.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #791 on: November 18, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »
Covered my boat today, no more boating till spring ... the bike will be done in the next couple of weeks.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #792 on: November 18, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
Rode the 14 up to Sugarloaf, NY today. Polar Bear Grand Tour ride number 4. Got in 275 miles or so.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #793 on: November 19, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
The sensor that controls the air door on my air cleaner (91 Dakota) has given up the ghost.  Chrysler has discontinued it.  I'm a thinking I'm going to have to check junk yards for a working one.

This temp controlled vacuum switch normally allows vacuum at ambient temps so that the air door is closed until it warms up a bit.  The orifices are very small so I decided to see if they were clogged....they were.  Cleaned them out with a wire and the air door is working again.  Don't know if it makes much difference though.  It's been operating with it open for quite awhile.  The gas mileage has deteriorated some so maybe with it working it'll improve an mpg or so.  I feel better, if for nothing else, that it is working and I fixed an obsolete part.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:47:49 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #794 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
Just a thought, www.rockauto.com

The sensor that controls the air door on my air cleaner (91 Dakota) has given up the ghost.  Chrysler has discontinued it.  I'm a thinking I'm going to have to check junk yards for a working one.

This temp controlled vacuum switch normally allows vacuum at ambient temps so that the air door is closed until it warms up a bit.  The orifices are very small so I decided to see if they were clogged....they were.  Cleaned them out with a wire and the air door is working again.  Don't know if it makes much difference though.  It's been operating with it open for quite awhile.  The gas mileage has deteriorated some so maybe with it working it'll improve an mpg or so.  I feel better, if for nothing else, that it is working and I fixed an obsolete part.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #795 on: November 20, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
My cam chain tensioner finally clicked to the next notch ... wow, what a difference.   ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #796 on: November 20, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
I tried Rock Auto and no joy.  They show an air temp sensor but it's the wrong type.  The sensor on the Dodge appears to have been made by one manufacturer and they stopped production in 2005.  If the wire trick hadn't worked I would have had to check junk yards for one.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #797 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »
Looks like I've ridden my last this season. Cold weather and snow comes this weekend, that means salt and calcium chloride in biblical amounts on our streets.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #798 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
Saw a Smart Car pulled over by a Caroline county deputy yesterday.  I laughed for about 5 miles afterwards just thinking about it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #799 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »
....from one who drives a Prius.  :rotflmao: