Author Topic: Regional differences in the U.S.  (Read 5112 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Regional differences in the U.S.
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
Bingo! There it is- coffee syrup from Autocrat.

Thanks, I think I'll try some from Amazon. Hmm... they sell Eclipse too. Same company but still two different formulas brews?

They sell the Del's lemonade too, I wonder how it compares to the street sold stuff? ..OH wait..

The stuff is unique because of the stainless steel drums it is made inside of, with long, curved scrapers rubbing the outside of the frozen drum. It is just not like anything that comes out of a blender, for example.
  :)

I guess you already answered that.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 02:22:21 PM »
I prefer Autocrat but hey, that is just one person's taste..... BTW, the stuff can have a most impressive effect on the gastrointestinal system. Beyond anything you can imagine. My kids used to plead with me not to drink the stuff.....

The packaged Dels is not bad, and in fact is <real> Dels and tastes like it. What is different is the 'body' of the material; the stuff made in the drums is different in consistency than anything you can get from, say, ice pushed through a blender. Now of course it is not a huge difference, and in fact a lot, maybe even most, Dels retail outlets sell the 'blender ice, kinda' fakey' version because the S.S. drum machines are expensive and have to make a lot to be economical.

If you want to go whole- hog, you can also buy 'hot wiener' spices in a package. Mixed with ground beef, it too is like the real thing. The wiener meat might be tough to come by though and it just is not the same with a hot dog buried under there. And just 'cause I am thinking about it, the whole experience includes watching the weiner meister (yeah, that's the ticket) make them; they put the buns in- line up their arm, stick a weiner in each roll, put the mustard on with a wooden dowel, then put the meat sauce, onions and lots and lots of celery salt on them. Then wrap them 2 or 3 at a time in this tough tissue paper. The grease is leaking out of the paper before they are even down. Neat to watch a guy making 20, 22 at a time that way :-)  And then they get stuffed into a brown paper bag, which is also now leaking grease before the bag is full. Yum. And of course, I assume the entire 'New York System' chain (that is located in RI- go figure) is underwritten by the council of cardiac surgeons. And after eating even one, you cannot be in the same room with other humans for the next 2 or 3 days- something about 'bad breath' or other.

Good eatin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKcU3LrMo24 At about 2:00, they make the weiners. Olneyville NYS (pronounced "O- knee- ville"), been there a few times. Open very late, draws a savory crowd  ::)  but nothing beyond one pistol seems to be needed.

Brian

Thanks, I think I'll try some from Amazon. Hmm... they sell Eclipse too. Same company but still two different formulas brews?

They sell the Del's lemonade too, I wonder how it compares to the street sold stuff? ..OH wait..
  :)

I guess you already answered that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
Growing up in New Orleans my mom gave us kids "coffee milk" with our breakfast. Just half a cup of coffee with half a cup of heated milk. Her take on the  Cafe Au Lait at the famous Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter.

I like that place!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 03:25:34 PM »
Local to RI although very slowly spreading to nearby MA:
2) Coffee milk, coffee ice cream. Local company makes 'coffee syrup', sort of like chocolate syrup but thinner, stronger and made from the extract of coffee grounds. Very popular here.

Coffee syrup is similar to chocolate syrup but of course, coffee flavored. It is used in much the same way as chocolate syrup also- you can mix it with milk to make 'coffee milk' (in fact, it comes pre- packaged that way around here, just like chocolate milk) or put it on ice cream as a flavoring, again like chocolate syrup. The flavor has also been incorporated into ice cream so that we can get coffee ice cream, again exactly like chocolate ice cream but coffee flavored and tan in color.

For a long time, it was a stand- alone product, only available locally (made in Cranston, RI) but has crept out into a little more of the world. Local Burger Kings and McDonalds sometimes off coffee shakes but again, only locally.

It has also crept over the border to the north and is now available in some parts of MA but usually only the southeastern parts (near RI).

Some RI ex- pats like the stuff but cannot get it and so we send it to them by the case. Autocrat (the mfg. of coffee syrup) now makes that available on-line. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to get a sample or reasonable quantity outside this limited area.

Brian

I ordered some of both from Amazon. The ingredients lists are identical. The formulas must be slightly different as the Eclipse has 10 more calories per same size serving and some other nutritional numbers differ as well. They both claim to use Finlay extracts. My first taste test was flawed by putting the samples in the same bowl and they quickly became intermingled. I will continue under more separated conditions in the future. Initial impressions are: fricken fabulously delicious on vanilla ice cream!, either one. The colors seem different slightly (see photo) with the Eclipse being darker, the Eclipse may also be a little thicker, but not by much, and even refrigerated they are both quite thin when compared to chocolate or caramel syrup.
I tried some in milk and I wasn't that impressed, however like I mentioned above the taste on vanilla ice cream is outstanding. I'm a fan of Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast ice cream, and I was thinking that the coffee syrup might fill in when I'm out of the TJ's variety. However, right now I think I actually like the syrup on vanilla more than the coffee ice cream.  The eclipse is almost twice the price per ounce, but the bottle wastes less space in the refrigerator door shelf. Stay tuned....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »
Glad you like the stuff. I far prefer Autocrat myself and find the Eclipse a bit too strong.

It also mixes well with milk but for whatever reason, not 2% or skim or any other [non- full strength] milk. Must be something to do with the fat content and the taste?

Believe it or not, you can actually use coffee syrup on coffee ice cream (not too much though) and it still works well- it would seem to be an overdose but it is not as most coffee ice creams are very mild.

For a long time, everything coffee flavored (with the syrup) was extremely local and only found in RI. Then it slipped over the border into MA in places like Burger King and McDonald's as a shake flavor. It is only fairly recently it has moved outside of southern New England at all, and most people find the very idea odd; they think of it as brewed coffee liquid mixed into things, which as you now know is not what it is.

BTW: the stuff does not seem to go bad, refrigerated or not. At least I have never seen / tasted it being 'bad' or changing in any way over time.

Brian

I ordered some of both from Amazon. The ingredients lists are identical. The formulas must be slightly different as the Eclipse has 10 more calories per same size serving and some other nutritional numbers differ as well. They both claim to use Finlay extracts. My first taste test was flawed by putting the samples in the same bowl and they quickly became intermingled. I will continue under more separated conditions in the future. Initial impressions are: fricken fabulously delicious on vanilla ice cream!, either one. The colors seem different slightly (see photo) with the Eclipse being darker, the Eclipse may also be a little thicker, but not by much, and even refrigerated they are both quite thin when compared to chocolate or caramel syrup.
I tried some in milk and I wasn't that impressed, however like I mentioned above the taste on vanilla ice cream is outstanding. I'm a fan of Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast ice cream, and I was thinking that the coffee syrup might fill in when I'm out of the TJ's variety. However, right now I think I actually like the syrup on vanilla more than the coffee ice cream.  The eclipse is almost twice the price per ounce, but the bottle wastes less space in the refrigerator door shelf. Stay tuned....

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »
Is it any good on pancakes? 
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
Couldn't find the caffeine content on the bottle. Did I miss it?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
Couldn't find the caffeine content on the bottle. Did I miss it?

No, you can't really miss (spotting it) if it isn't there (on either brand). However it isn't listed on a can of coffee either...so...

Unsubstantiated (by me) web information:
Autocrat Coffee Syrup – one serving which is 2 Tablespoons (1fl oz) contains 14mg of caffeine.
Eclipse Coffee Syrup – one serving is 2 Tablespoons (1fl oz) and contains 21mg of caffeine.
..so if the above is correct, it could be why the Eclipse looks darker and costs more per ounce, however I'm sure both use the same Finlay's coffee extract, just different amounts.

I had some last night (probably only 1 Tbls) on a small dish of ice cream and slept just fine.

Try here for others: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
Is it any good on pancakes? 

I don't know. Yet :).

Offline Stasch

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Softball: Around Chicago (where the game was invented supposedly) they play with no gloves and a 16" (circumference) softball, almost everywhere else is a 12" softball and the fielders use gloves.

Late to the party but in our area (SE Michigan) that was called Blooper Ball.

There were leagues that were a big deal right alongside slow pitch and fast pitch softball leagues.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »
Well, there's candlepin bowling in New England, which I think is different than duckpins. And certainly different than regular bowling.

In Little Rock, apparently the thing is to put honey on pizza - at least the crust. I'm not joking.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90