Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28122 times)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2018, 12:08:28 AM »
Airplane instead of Aeroplane.

Why?

After all you dont say (or maybe you do?)

airnautics instead of aeronautics

airdynamics instead of aerodynamics

airfoil instead of aerofoil

airnomic instead of aeronomic

airsol instead of aerosol

or my personal favourite Air instead of Aero ;)

airspace instead of aerospace

Wait, we use both...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2018, 01:22:48 AM »
airspace instead of aerospace

Wait, we use both...

but in a different context

Aircraft fly in an airspace whilst they are built by an aerospace company ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2018, 01:49:56 AM »
Gratuitous diagram

Ok the granularity could be improved by forking the owered branch into types such as piston, jet,rocket, electric, human etc but I couldn't be bothered lol

--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
Ran into a new one: apparently in the UK, you call ear muffs 'ear defenders'. Makes sense, just not something that anyone in the US would understand without explanation.

Watched a documentary produced in the UK and actually caught quite a few individual words used in a way that would not be understood in the US also but cannot remember them right now. Almost all of them made sense in the context when they were used except a couple, and those might as well have been in Portuguese. :-)

One area that I find both countries are somewhat odd about is Post or Mail. I believe it would be more normal to use the word 'post' instead of mail in casual conversation in the UK but both countries use both words in different places. We have a US Postal System, with a Post Master that oversees the..... mail. You apparently have 'post' and a post office and so forth but the materials handled by the post offices are sometimes  transferred to a ship designated RMS for Royal Mail Service. I also think it is an age thing, at least here in the US too; in the olden days, I believe it was more common for the mailman to be called the postman. Even today everyone would know who a person was talking about using that term but no one really uses that term anymore. And the thing that the mail man (or mail carrier) puts the mail in is the mail box.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Most of what you put in that list is correct for normal US usage except we do say 'airfoil'.

Brian

Airplane instead of Aeroplane.

Why?

After all you dont say (or maybe you do?)

airnautics instead of aeronautics

airdynamics instead of aerodynamics

airfoil instead of aerofoil

airnomic instead of aeronomic

airsol instead of aerosol

or my personal favourite Air instead of Aero ;)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
these are ear muffs :)

Ay yes, we have the mail (generic) or post (used completely interchnageably)  delivered either by a postman working for the Royal Mail or , which is becoming more commonplace especially in the business world, by a third party courier, even for letters.

Definitely Postman otherwise it would be Mailman Mike instead of Postman Pat :)

Ran into a new one: apparently in the UK, you call ear muffs 'ear defenders'. Makes sense, just not something that anyone in the US would understand without explanation.

Watched a documentary produced in the UK and actually caught quite a few individual words used in a way that would not be understood in the US also but cannot remember them right now. Almost all of them made sense in the context when they were used except a couple, and those might as well have been in Portuguese. :-)

One area that I find both countries are somewhat odd about is Post or Mail. I believe it would be more normal to use the word 'post' instead of mail in casual conversation in the UK but both countries use both words in different places. We have a US Postal System, with a Post Master that oversees the..... mail. You apparently have 'post' and a post office and so forth but the materials handled by the post offices are sometimes  transferred to a ship designated RMS for Royal Mail Service. I also think it is an age thing, at least here in the US too; in the olden days, I believe it was more common for the mailman to be called the postman. Even today everyone would know who a person was talking about using that term but no one really uses that term anymore. And the thing that the mail man (or mail carrier) puts the mail in is the mail box.

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »
Ah yes, Postman Pat, standing in front of his mail truck.  :-)

Brian

<snip>

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
I've joined a multistrada forum that has predominantly UK members, some europers but few Americans. I am starting to talk like a Brit. Kit instead of gear. Sat Nav for GPS. Faf I believe means "pain in the a$$" (which would be ar$e) and then the're mate. That's def. different.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
And now a few moments of silence; it seems we have lost Bob folks.....

:rotflmao:

Brian

I've joined a multistrada forum that has predominantly UK members, some europers but few Americans. I am starting to talk like a Brit. Kit instead of gear. Sat Nav for GPS. Faf I believe means "pain in the a$$" (which would be ar$e) and then the're mate. That's def. different.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
you can't get rid of me that easy ;) still love the C14for two up touring.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:37 PM »
Faf I believe means "pain in the a$$" (which would be ar$e)

Close? : https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/faff

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »

Except here we can no longer officially use the word "man" in anything (even when the person is male), because it is not politically correct.  So it would be "postal carrier", "letter carrier", or "mail carrier".

police officer
fire fighter
chair person
sports person

Since I don't like PC, I will continue to put "man" and "woman" at the end when referring to specific people :)  Although I do often use the neuter version when referring to the generic/collective.  Some really sound beyond strange though-

fisherwoman?  fisher person??  Maybe just "fisher"

Where I work, when we had a female in charge of the Board, people kept calling her the "chairman" and I refused to do that.  I called her the "chairwoman" since it seemed really odd to say just "chair", like I was calling a person a piece of furniture  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
In fairness most people tend to refer to them as "the postie" which is gender neutral ;)

Except here we can no longer officially use the word "man" in anything (even when the person is male), because it is not politically correct.  So it would be "postal carrier", "letter carrier", or "mail carrier".

police officer
fire fighter
chair person
sports person

Since I don't like PC, I will continue to put "man" and "woman" at the end when referring to specific people :)  Although I do often use the neuter version when referring to the generic/collective.  Some really sound beyond strange though-

fisherwoman?  fisher person??  Maybe just "fisher"

Where I work, when we had a female in charge of the Board, people kept calling her the "chairman" and I refused to do that.  I called her the "chairwoman" since it seemed really odd to say just "chair", like I was calling a person a piece of furniture  :)
--

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

"FAF about"........ to take a extra long time to complete a simple task
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
"FAF about"........ to take a extra long time to complete a simple task

as welll as being a PITA , eg that was a real faf(f)
--

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
In fairness most people tend to refer to them as "the postie" which is gender neutral ;)

I must say, "postie" doesn't sound gender neutral.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2018, 09:15:37 AM »
I must say, "postie" doesn't sound gender neutral.
Why?  Too close to pastie?   :yikes:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »

South Africans are just generally rude & obnoxious ;)

Well Mikey, seeing that us SA'ns are rude and obnoxious, let me live up to it.....  :stirpot:

Do you know what us Afrikaans speaking people call you okes from GB........?

"Souties"..... Short for "Sout Pielle"....excuse my language please....?

Sout=salt and pielle=penis', so roughly translated, it means salt-d*cks..... Reason being that with the Anglo-Boer war, the okes were one foot in  GB, the other in SA, with the their d*cks hanging in the ocean.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2018, 07:42:32 AM »
Well Mikey, seeing that us SA'ns are rude and obnoxious, let me live up to it.....  :stirpot:

Do you know what us Afrikaans speaking people call you okes from GB........?

"Souties"..... Short for "Sout Pielle"....excuse my language please....?

Sout=salt and pielle=penis', so roughly translated, it means salt-d*cks..... Reason being that with the Anglo-Boer war, the okes were one foot in  GB, the other in SA, with the their d*cks hanging in the ocean.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:thumbs:

Ihave the pleasure of working(or have worked) with a number of your fellow countrymen :)
--

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2018, 11:42:27 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14