Author Topic: Oil in Spark Plug Wells  (Read 1994 times)

Offline WiConnie

Oil in Spark Plug Wells
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
Hey Guys...
First time into my Connie since I bought it a couple of months ago and I have a question.

3 of the four spark plug wells have oil in them. I'm guessing that I need to pull the valve cover and install a new set of Replacement Well Seals??

Thanks...
Barry
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline Mettler1

Re: Oil in Spark Plug Wells
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
   I replace the 4 well seals everytime I  remove the valve cover. The big gasket around the edge of the valve cover seems to last for a long time.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Summit670

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
I've never replaced any seals on my 87 valve cover, wells or main.

Next time I do the valves I will replace all of them though.

Once every 10 years is probably good since my bike is 24 yrs old now.  Ah, maybe 12 years, let's split the diff.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline turtle

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
Barry, to answer your question I think you are on the right track with replacing those seals. Never did it on my 90 but has to on my 01 this summer.  Every bike and situation is different I guess.
Bill
COG #1916
2001 C10 (lots of mods)

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
Something else to consider are the 6 rubber "donuts" under the valve cover bolts. If they are hard and shrunken, the valve cover may not tighten properly.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
The spark plug well seals may not be leaking because...they may not be there! They may have come loose when the PO replaced the valve cover and are lying in the head or, worse yet, at thebottom of the engine by the lower chain sprocket. Not that I would know that from personal experience..... 8)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!