Author Topic: Measuring suspension air pressure  (Read 6135 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Measuring suspension air pressure
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
The manual says not to use a tire gauge to measure the pressure in the forks and shock.  I don't have anything else, so that's what I've been using.  I've fiddled with the pressures lately, and now the bike handles like crap.  What should I use to get an accurate reading?

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Re: Measuring suspension air pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »
The manual says not to use a tire gauge to measure the pressure in the forks and shock.  I don't have anything else, so that's what I've been using.  I've fiddled with the pressures lately, and now the bike handles like crap.  What should I use to get an accurate reading?

Progressive suspension pump.  http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?manufacturer_ID=39&category_ID=14&product_ID=5364

The air reservoirs on our suspensions are so small, that the air loss from a typical gauge negatively affects them.

The gauge should probably be a 0-100 or 0-60.  0-30 won't measure high enough.

Or you could buy a cheap bicycle frame pump (with a line, not a pump that directly attaches) and just pump it up until it feels right.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »
Progressive suspension pump.  http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?manufacturer_ID=39&category_ID=14&product_ID=5364

The air reservoirs on our suspensions are so small, that the air loss from a typical gauge negatively affects them.

The gauge should probably be a 0-100 or 0-60.  0-30 won't measure high enough.

Or you could buy a cheap bicycle frame pump (with a line, not a pump that directly attaches) and just pump it up until it feels right.

Won't measure high enough?  The recommendation for the front forks is only 7.5 psi. 

I do have a bicycle pump with a line that I use.  Is there just some kind of specialized gauge I can buy that accurately reads in small increments and in a low range?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I have noticed that if a tire gauge is used that ALL of the pressure will dissipate with one check: not good. Tried a tire pump, did not work either. The progressive tool gets good reviews as does some pumps from specialized bicycle shops.

I use the compressor @ work, with the regulator dialed down to what I want (for my rear shock, 40PSI). It takes like 1/2 a second to pump it up. I may check it again this year, but it still feels fine after all summer, so I guess it is holding all right.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
I have noticed that if a tire gauge is used that ALL of the pressure will dissipate with one check: not good. Tried a tire pump, did not work either. The progressive tool gets good reviews as does some pumps from specialized bicycle shops.

I use the compressor @ work, with the regulator dialed down to what I want (for my rear shock, 40PSI). It takes like 1/2 a second to pump it up. I may check it again this year, but it still feels fine after all summer, so I guess it is holding all right.

Just be careful.  The air reservoir is so small that it's easy to blow 'em up.

The ZZR1200 shocks are $240 and C-14 shocks are $250 right now on eBay.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »

Won't measure high enough?  The recommendation for the front forks is only 7.5 psi. 

I do have a bicycle pump with a line that I use.  Is there just some kind of specialized gauge I can buy that accurately reads in small increments and in a low range?

The rear shock is also air, and ran at considerably higher pressure.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
The rear shock is also air, and ran at considerably higher pressure.

I just tried running 26 psi in the rear shock and it was too harsh.  I'm 150 lbs.  It aired it down to about 18-19 psi, and the ride is better, but I don't know if I have an accurate reading on the forks (probably not).  In any case, the bike doesn't handle very well now.  Possibly also because my rear tire is getting squared off.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
I just tried running 26 psi in the rear shock and it was too harsh.  I'm 150 lbs.  It aired it down to about 18-19 psi, and the ride is better, but I don't know if I have an accurate reading on the forks (probably not).  In any case, the bike doesn't handle very well now.  Possibly also because my rear tire is getting squared off.

I'm 270, so I'm running 45psi out back.  I like a pretty taut ride anyway.

Tire could cause nasty handling too...

The progressive pump is expensive, but it's made really well.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Another option is to get some quality fork springs like sonic's. I run the lightweight 1.0 which would be plenty for your weight. That way you could forget about adding air pressure in the forks. Trying to keep 7.5 psi in an old pair of fork legs sounds like a PITA. Mark

Offline Summit670

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
Unless you need an exact reading, use a regular tire guage and do this:

If you have an air compressor with hose regulator, set that so it is about where you want it, maybe a tad higher.

Inflate your shock/s.

Take tire guage and in a quick motion get a reading.  Then do the same for a second reading, etc.  You will get a feel for how much air you lose and after you've done it a few times call it good.

Say if you want 10psi in the shock and the guage reads 12, don't let any air out of shock because the guage, by default, does that.  Take another reading, it will be 1 or 2 pounds less.  If 1 pound less and you think you were equally efficient on that reading, call it good.  If you find 15 psi at first, take the pressure reading a few times and stop when it is just above where you want it.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.