Author Topic: Odd feeling coming from back wheel - UPDATE  (Read 8142 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Odd feeling coming from back wheel - UPDATE
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »
You also need to remember that if it feels like it's the rear then check the front, and vice-versa.
I'm willing to bet on the front wheel bearings being shot, especially if it's a 94-06 model.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

voileauciel

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
You also need to remember that if it feels like it's the rear then check the front, and vice-versa.
I'm willing to bet on the front wheel bearings being shot, especially if it's a 94-06 model.

Ah, never thought of that. According to my maintenance record, front wheel bearings were replaced at 39k. Bike now has 63.5k on it. What you think, could they be on their way out? Same thing goes for the rears, but those have never been replaced.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
I'm 365lbs and I used to get about 6,000 miles out of an Azaro rear.
Haven't ridden my C10 in 2 years though.  :(

The front wheel bearings in 94-06 C10s are good for 25-30k miles.
On the 86-93 they last 50-60k miles.
I always replaced my rear wheel bearings at 60k but the ones I pulled were always OK.

Unfortunately Kawasaki used similar bearings to the 94-06 in the C14 so I still get to do frequent bearing swaps.
Why they feel the need to use piddly little wheel bearings I have no idea.
Ok it may reduce unsprung weight slightly but the C14 is a SportTour bike, not a ZX14.

Didja check the bearings? Easy enough to do when she's on the centrestand.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

voileauciel

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
Getting worse now. If I go low speed, say ~20mph, clutch pulled in, and weave left and right, I can feel a gritty, almost grindy feeling from the rear wheel. It's worse going left than right. Must be the bearings. Haven't been able to pull the rear wheel, because I can't find the sockets to get the castle nut off. Will have to go visit my tyre guy and have him take a look.

I also checked the other copy of the maintenance record, and it seems that the rear wheel bearings were never replaced. Considering I bought these wheels to replace the originals, and IIRC, the replacement rear had ~20k on it, that would put its total mileage around 60k now, so probably time to replace it.

Anyone in the central Jersey area want to ride this, and see what I mean? It's hard to describe it in words. All I know is, one day everything was fine, I didn't ride it for 2 weeks, got back on and it's been riding poorly every since. I've also noticed that the rear just feels nervous, and even at high speed, the Cadillac ride I'd finally gotten from the new shock and Avons had gone away, back to how it felt with a busted rear shock and worn out Dunlops...could wheel bearings cause this?

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
This won't break the bank..
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_98&products_id=42
Order them with the seals. You need them, hell, you got 60k out of the OEMS!

And hurry up with this, we got some riding to do!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »
voileauciel,
As I stated earlier in this thread, I am having the same problem that you describe. I had replaced the rear bearings as well as inspected/serviced all of the suspension components, swingarm bearings, switched the Hagon shock with the stocker, checked all frame bolts, etc. and the problem persists. I can feel it most throught the left footpeg. When I get the chance, I will be replacing all of the lower link bearings with bushings and see what happens. This problem started before I mounted a new Avon on the back. It's almost worn-out and cupped and needs replacement soon. Nothing unusual in the wear. I think next I'll take a closer look at the final drive components as it feels consistent with meshing. Maybe something is worn to the point of causing and axial alignment problem between the wheel and final drive causing wheel/drive contact or an incorrect meshing under certain suspension load conditions.
BTW I live north of you in Sussex county. Maybe we'll pass each other some day.
-Rich 

voileauciel

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »
This won't break the bank..
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_98&products_id=42
Order them with the seals. You need them, hell, you got 60k out of the OEMS!

And hurry up with this, we got some riding to do!

Got 'em on order, should be here in a few days. Also ordered a set of new tyres so I'll be ready for the National. I'm going to ride out to Arkansas, the longest trip I'll have done on this bike yet.

@Toxz: how many miles on yours?

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
a measly 24,xxx miles

voileauciel

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
Bearings are in. Now just waiting on the tyres.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
The castle nut is 27mm or Inch and one sixteenth in Imperial.
Enjoy!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

voileauciel

Re: Odd feeling coming from back wheel - FIXED
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
It was a combination of worn out wheel bearings and lumpy Avons. Literally, the treads were all over the place. Best I can tell, it looks like it shifted a belt. One side of the tread was considerably higher than the other, almost like it was going out of round.

That will be the last set of those for me, kthnxbai to Avon, hello Bridgestone!

voileauciel

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
And I thought the Avons were bad!

These BT-45s are rubbish. Track poorly on grooved pavement, slip horrendously on tar snakes and just don't give me any confidence at all.

So where does this leave me? OEM Dunlops worked well for me, but I will concede that the Storm/Azaro combination gripped the best.

How about the Roadrider? Any good? I want a good set of tyres for the National, and these Bridgestones ain't it.