Author Topic: "Five-Minute" oil change  (Read 10336 times)

Offline ruffride

"Five-Minute" oil change
« on: May 16, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
Glad I left myself some extra time!
Enjoy the ride

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: "Five-Minute" oil change
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
A little tight, was it?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
I played he'll getting mine off, finally bought a cammed, 3-prong, twister thing at the auto parts store. K&N on it now. The first oil filter I ever, in my life, used a torque wrench on.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »
Don't need a torque wrench.  Hand tight is fine.  If you torqued to Kwacker specs you may have issues getting off again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
It has a 1" hex on the end... so it should come off ok

Offline ruffride

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
Lol, yep a little tight. I thought I was going to have to get a metal wrench and put screws in it but using the pliers wrench on the plastic with screws cracked the seal. Glad the dealer was sooo gorilla fisted...hand tight???

New K&N hand tight!
Enjoy the ride

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
Yeah, the 'hand tight' is not the problem really. We all thought the original filters on the bike were put on by a gorilla but in 100K miles, all of the filters (all put on by me, all hand tight only) have been hell taking them off. I went through all the filter wrenches I could find and all failed until that magic one from, of all places, Harbor Freight. It is a locking pliers with radiused grip arms that have small, very sharp teeth that actually grab the filter well enough to turn it off, even though they usually pierce the outside of the filter. Still, a leaking filter that will come off the bike beats a leaking filter that will not. One time I actually tore off the entire filter can and element leaving only the stamped, steel face stuck to the engine. :-(

Brian

Lol, yep a little tight. I thought I was going to have to get a metal wrench and put screws in it but using the pliers wrench on the plastic with screws cracked the seal. Glad the dealer was sooo gorilla fisted...hand tight???

New K&N hand tight!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
I've never had an issue taking off a filter that was hand tightened.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
I have the set of four (I think) from HFT that are a TIGHT fit onto the can.
Cast alloy with 3/8" fitting for standard ratchet.

Tap it onto the can, 3/8" adapter to 1/2" breaker bar.  ALWAYS comes off. 
And I put them on just a little more than hand tight.  Hate to have one loosen...

60,000 miles on one, 20,000 on the other, so we have done a few oil changes...

Dat
Sax
Man

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
Of course hand tight can be a bitch to get off if your hand is not properlycalibrated.  I'm the guy that everyone hands a jar to.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »
Glad I left myself some extra time!

Been there, done that.  Didn't think I would EVER get the filter off the first time I did it (dealer did the first change).  Practically shredded it after going through three different tools.  Now I use K&N filters with the built-in hex nut on the end.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 05:54:13 AM »
If you read the service manual, it says to use a special tool and a torque wrench to tighten the filter. It says you can't get the filter tight enough by hand.
The same manual says to shift into 6th gear at 35 MPH, and don't exceed 4,000 RPM for the first 500 miles.

At least it does for the ZX14. I'd have to go back and check on the Connie. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
and you MUST keep your FOB in the left rear pocket of your britches .,
and never scratch your left eyebrow with your right hand...
ok,.at least give the filter a half turn past hand tight using a wrench, mmmm kayyyy

you don't need 13ft/lbs... like the book says, but give it a half turn with a wrench....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »
I just use regular old Channellock pliers on difficult to remove filters.

As for my own...I never hand tighten. I've always torqued and/or tightened them on. Call it a hand tightened filter phobia...lol.

K&N filters have a hex head on them (and a hole for lock wire if you're so inclined...lol). I use a wrench to install them, and a wrench to remove them.

Maybe it's only a high-revving sportbike issue, but I have seen filters work loose before.

There was a young fella on one of the local forums here a couple years ago used the trick is father taught him to remove a tight oil filter...he pounded a screwdriver through the filter...only problem was, he did it too close to the base of the filter, and it destroyed the threaded boss that the filter screws on to...lol. Nicely done I'd say!

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »
baad thing about the C14 filter is its too damned thin of metal, and if you do the screwdriver thing, it tears,...
I tested the torqueed on spec once... only once, just as a test... and could not remove the filter without ruining all my wrenches.. finally shot a self drilling tek screw thru the cup wrench and that worked... barely..

I now have a set of those channelok plier typ filter remover, it grips..... and will remove the worst ones with eaze... and crush the can.  in the process..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »
i torque to these specs, hand tight then another 1/4 turn with a filter wrench. I'm not having issues
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
All hail the power of KIPASS!  :hail:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
All hail the power of KIPASS!  :hail:

yes sir indeed
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

elp_jc

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:39:15 AM »
I have a plier-type filter wrench just like that (Griot's Garage), and that's all I ever needed for decades and dozens of vehicles. In some, it's a lot harder to use due to limited space, but so far no need for another tool. And yes, I always tighten filters by hand only. Never an issue, but I have a strong grip. Not looking forward to the first removal, but hope to get the green light from my doc tomorrow, and will promptly put the 500 miles needed to beat the crap out of it ;D.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:01 AM »

Been using this strap wrench for years to get the stubborn ones off.  Works for many different applications.