Author Topic: Why don't motorcycles....  (Read 5670 times)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Why don't motorcycles....
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Weird, mine has almost tipped over twice because I forgot to put down a sidestand plate and the ground got soft.  I've never had a problem with anyone knocking it over. YMMV indeed.

In my case, I will say I have never even attempted to park the Concours on soft ground... only on pavement (asphalt/concrete).   There are several reasons for that:

1) I would never ride on non-pavement for fear of falling
2) I don't trust soft ground for parking
3) Most importantly- with short legs, I absolutely can't maneuver the bike on soft ground or gravel, I simply do not have the leverage to push it or man-handle it.  Maybe if it were 4 or 5 inches lower.

That said, on my previous bike, I parked on a road temporarily once in extremely hot weather, just for a quick rest/stretch, and a few minutes later the kickstand was sinking into the asphalt...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »
I have seen wind pick a heavy bike up and over on its right side.

It would have to be a strong wind, but it really also very much depends on the exact lean angle... and that very much depends on the levelness of the ground/pavement on which it is parked.  I have parked in places that appeared pretty level until I put the stand down and got ready to dismount and said "um.... I don't think so" and had to point the bike in a different direction!

The other situation is in parallel parking locations where you are pointing the parked bike perpendicular to the curb- with significantly crowned roads, you have have some really wildly graded situations.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I have lowering links on my bike (no, I haven't modified the stands...  yet...), and I need to be very careful to not park on the side of roads that are crowned beyond a certain point.  I also worry about the wind, and have taken to parking VERY close to the wall at home, in case the wind picks up...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
Interestingly, if the right kickstand was hinged to raise/lower from the FRONT and not the back (like the left kickstand is), it would also help protect against rear-bumping.... Hmm....

I thought of that one too. I called it the suicide stand. The last one I thought of, was not permanently attached to the bike but was placed on the bike at the time of parking. It did (1) face slightly forward on the right side, (2) had a telescoping variable length, (3) spring loaded tip (strong spring) to have just a little give, (4) a pivoting rubber tip on the bottom, (5) had a permanent attachment point (clamped) on the bike like a (easy boys) slip in tube, (6) had the bright yellow "reminder" cord that fit over the right grip similar to a disk lock. I thought about making it (7) lockable as well...but since I never made one in the first place ....that would have to wait.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
I thought of that one too. I called it the suicide stand.

LOL!  Cool name

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »
I thought of that one too. I called it the suicide stand. The last one I thought of, was not permanently attached to the bike but was placed on the bike at the time of parking. It did (1) face slightly forward on the right side, (2) had a telescoping variable length, (3) spring loaded tip (strong spring) to have just a little give, (4) a pivoting rubber tip on the bottom, (5) had a permanent attachment point (clamped) on the bike like a (easy boys) slip in tube, (6) had the bright yellow "reminder" cord that fit over the right grip similar to a disk lock. I thought about making it (7) lockable as well...but since I never made one in the first place ....that would have to wait.

Did you used to work at Aprilia?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file