Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 127922 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:13 AM »
Someday, soon I hope, America will really wake up and see the virtues of a well built diesel car,

This seems to be getting closer to reality... Chevy is releasing the Cruze with a TDI engine for 2013.  http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/22/diesel-chevrolet-cruze-coming-to-u-s-in-2013/
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
Chet,

You about have me sold on the TDI. I was going to wait till next year to buy but now I'm not so sure. What's the deal on the 0%? They had one on the lot that you liked eh?
The 0% was something new, the level depends on credit score-mine is a lowly 796, wife squeeked out a 832.  We/she really wanted a gray (WINK) one, I really liked the white/gold metalic for visibility.  They had 2 nav package TDIs left on the lot, red and black, I couldnt see myself living in the Prius lane, so I opted for the slightly quicker black.  I started the entire process through the internet, compared prices without a phone call, exchanged ideas, and I made the first call.  The lady we worked with was really a good sales lady, she fully understands the rules of reciprocity, so it was kinda fun swapping debts so to speak.  I also told her up front I was looking to buy around January and that I prefered to swap emails, that we would contact her when we were ready.  I'l post up tonight how the ride drive home is, I won't have my speed reduction factor with me 8)

I bet the cruze will far out sell the volt, but, I wonder how many will remember the bailout.  I know I will never buy a new Chevy, besides, I really am a fan of Ford.  I have the memory of an elephant, I still wont buy fuel from an Exxon station.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
So.....  I ended up with the slower colored black one!  I will have it home tomorow.  As loaded as they come.  Got the extended warranty and get this 0% financing.  I also got the xzilon coating and window tint.  I figure if the HPFP grenades it'l happen before 100000 miles.  At 0% I don't know how I could go wrong.

I was at the VW site this morn and built my TDI sportwagen. I didn't see anything about factory tint or xzilon coating (what this?) or extended warranty. What's the cost of those 'extras'? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
I was at the VW site this morn and built my TDI sportwagen. I didn't see anything about factory tint or xzilon coating (what this?) or extended warranty. What's the cost of those 'extras'?
The coating is a dealer option, 'sposed to never need waxing, kinda like a shiny teflon for cars, the extended warranty will extend out to 100000 miles, bumper to bumper, they threw in the tint for free, well, no additional charge.  All said and done the extras were a tad over $2k, cheap piece of mind and at the 0% rate, I felt I couldnt go wrong.  I also opted for the 5 year vs the 6 year, I'll do 20k miles no sweat, so why pay for the 6th year when it wouldnt matter.  I would caution ya, don't take one for a test drive unless you're ready to buy, it really is a nice ride.  Did I mention all the hotties who were in for services?  Very well decorated waiting area ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:18 AM »
The coating is a dealer option, 'sposed to never need waxing, kinda like a shiny teflon for cars, the extended warranty will extend out to 100000 miles, bumper to bumper, they threw in the tint for free, well, no additional charge.  All said and done the extras were a tad over $2k, cheap piece of mind and at the 0% rate, I felt I couldnt go wrong.  I also opted for the 5 year vs the 6 year, I'll do 20k miles no sweat, so why pay for the 6th year when it wouldnt matter.  I would caution ya, don't take one for a test drive unless you're ready to buy, it really is a nice ride.  Did I mention all the hotties who were in for services?  Very well decorated waiting area ;D

Tint would be nice, ext warranty I'll get but any dealer applied coatings, of any kind, I'll pass on.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 09:16:06 AM »
Have you guys looked at the new Mazda technology? Interesting.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=insideMazdaNewsArticle1&providertag=MazdaSEM&servicetag=T1ALL0311012&sem=1&s_kwcid=TC|21354|mazda%20skyactiv||S|e|12343909192

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »
Have you guys looked at the new Mazda technology? Interesting.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=insideMazdaNewsArticle1&providertag=MazdaSEM&servicetag=T1ALL0311012&sem=1&s_kwcid=TC|21354|mazda%20skyactiv||S|e|12343909192
Not sure what they are doing to meet their claims?  If it is new technology I would hesitate until the bugs have been worked out, one thing they mention is weight reduction, which all by itself will help, along with aero.
I was worried that maybe I jumped too soon ;D

Offline Conrad

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
Interesting

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/skyactiv.action
Sounds like things we been doing to our cars for years, better/lighter piston, higher compression, weight loss, efficient exhaust, and direct injection.  I think it will sell rather well, it should lend itself to reflash power gains and new owners wont be dropping big bucks on power adders. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
Sounds like things we been doing to our cars for years, better/lighter piston, higher compression, weight loss, efficient exhaust, and direct injection.  I think it will sell rather well, it should lend itself to reflash power gains and new owners wont be dropping big bucks on power adders.

I'm amazed at the numbers they're claiming for reduced friction in the engine and power train.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
If Mazda hooks the US up with the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine on an AWD CX-5 model, I would be all over that. 300+ lb-ft of torque!
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
If Mazda hooks the US up with the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine on an AWD CX-5 model, I would be all over that. 300+ lb-ft of torque!
That would be the one.
Oct. review of the gas model:
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/mazda/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-review-video-1726.html

More info:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/08/mazdas-skyactiv-technology-the-comprehensible-bits/

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

I would like to have that motor in my wife's CX-9, the 3.7 gas motor in it now only gets 17 city and 20 (if we are lucky) on the interstate.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
Got second hand experience. A running friend (female, math teacher and to answer the forthcoming question, YES she's hot!) bought a new Passat about 2 years ago. She had to use the Lemon Law to get the dealer to fix the many problems she had (bought new) and finally it reached a point where they paid her off and took back the car.

So 20 years . . . I dunno.

I have no more details on what exactly went wrong to cause all the drama. She drives a Prius now.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Got second hand experience. A running friend (female, math teacher and to answer the forthcoming question, YES she's hot!) bought a new Passat about 2 years ago. She had to use the Lemon Law to get the dealer to fix the many problems she had (bought new) and finally it reached a point where they paid her off and took back the car.

So 20 years . . . I dunno.

I have no more details on what exactly went wrong to cause all the drama. She drives a Prius now.
I'd bet is was the HPFP, it aounds like some of the dealers were trying to shift blame on water in the fuel or people accidently pumping gas into the tank.  The issue has been well documented and is being looked at by outside (read fed gov) sources.  It is the biggest reason I bought the extended warranty.  It is a gamble, but what fun would life be without risks every know and then?

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
I lemon lawed 3 cars(so far). 2 used and 1 new.
The new one was a 2006 midnight blue Dodge Charger RT. I loved the car,but they couldn't get a rear wobble out of it. They tried from 4,000 miles until 20,000 miles to get it to stop and couldn't fix it. I got my money back and they got their car back. I had to pay s :'(ome $$$ for miles, but not much.
2 cars later I got a 2007 Chrysler 300C. It was the nicest car I ever owned. Drove it for a couple years with no issues at all. It is essentialy the same car. So you.never know they are all different.
Enjoy your new ride. You are going to love it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
A BIIIIGGGG warning about filling the tank.

A friend at work bought Jetta TDI (it was within a year, maybe 2011 or 2012 model).

Supposedly, other cars have provisions so you can not insert a gasoline filler into the gas tank (diesel and gasolin fillers have different radiuses).  His TDI did not have it.  It was within a few months of getting the car.  He put gasoline into the tank out of habit :)  He ended up paying $10k+ on a new car to replace all the fuel injectors, etc.  All the money he was going to save on diesel went away.

Check your car, if it doesn't have it, there is a small plastic thingy that you can insert into the gas tank and it will prevent you from putting gasoline into it.  I would ask the dealer to cover it (<$100).

He was saying VW is the only car that doesn't have this by default.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Son of Pappy

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip atilla, I am worried the wife may put some gas in it, I'll be looking in the morning for sure.  From what I read gas doesn't habe the lub that the pumps need, another reason why water in the tank is bad for diesels.  Regardless, I will probably fill er more than my wife, BUT, I will do something to be a very visible way to remember.

Scaf, I hear ya, I AM a little worried, but I am taking the same chance regardless of what I buy, and since it has a fob similar to KIPASS I should be OK 8)

So, the drive home was really nice, got the phone all syned up, calls are as clear or clearer, streaming bluetooth (Metallica of course) was awesome, sat radio was as expected, I am still learning where everything is.  Driving the car beats my expectations, at 2500 the turbo starts kicking in and the things pulls like, well, a big diesel.  The tranny is a big bonus, when at a light the tranny disengages so the twin clutches aren't burning up, I tried the sport mode, but rush hour traffic was around, and it is the last day of the month, LEOs were plentifull.  The Tiptronic will take some getting used to, redline comes far quicker so I am going to need to adjust my shifting to match, but in all honesty, I think I will be in D most of the time, other then when I hit some of my fav roads.  I am already missing my truck, kinda sucks, I just had the head and the exhaust manifold replaced, drove it home from the dealer, took all my crap out, and rushed to the VW dealer.  It was like a new truck.  Oh well, it was the slowest color red.
So, anyone have any recomendations on a chip?  Farkeling this car is going to be rough, wife would kill ,e if I added a CB, maybe I'll get a good portable, best LEO sniffer out there, hands down.  I haven't figured out where the key hoes yet, maybe the glove box?

So, bottom line from the first day?  I like it, comfortable, quiet, great economy, decent power, and looks great.  I think I may surprise my wife with a trip to Leavenworth to do a little shopping European style ;D

I can't wait till I am granted access to the TDI forum, I dont see any tire threads or oil threads, so I will be leading off asking if anyone has run a set of MC tires and which synthetic oil is the best :yikes:

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:49 AM »
When I had my 03 TDI I was looking into Rocket Chips and I think the other one was Absolute Chips. They could reprogram the ECU pretty easy as well. Check out Freds TDI Page. I think all the upgrades had 3 stages to them too, depending on your mods(exhaust, intake, injector size, and ecu. Good luck!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:57 AM »
Chet,

Where's the pics? You got the Jetta TDI with the DSG tranny right? (your title says Passat, fix it!  lol )

I'm trying to imagine what that plastic filler thingy that Atilla mentioned looks like. I know that my diesel Silverado's fuel filler (dieselhole) would take any size fuel pump nozzle but I've never ever come close to putting gas in it by accident. I've heard horror stories about folks who have though.