Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 127922 times)

Son of Pappy

Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
Anyone have first hand experience with one?  I'm looking at something that will be around in 20 yrs, roomy 4door, sporty, and gets great gas mileage.  I got an internet quote of 22300 plus TTL.  Any and all comments appreciated, this would be by far the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:10:39 AM by Son of Pappy »

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:50:01 PM »
 You might want to look at some of the Passat/ VW forums, also consumer Reports. Look at the average cost of maintenance for 5 years or so.
 If you have a Dealer Locally, see if you can talk to a Senior Tech about the car.
 TDI was known for having a cylinder head issue. The High pressure fuel rail runs through the head, to the injectors. This actually Ate away the Head, causing replacement on earlier models. Also Volkswagen is German for Electrical Repair. Get some info on the specific model/ year/ engine/ trans, etc.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
What Motor Head suggested plus ask about the decoke costs as well. Oil changes will have you using specific VW spec oil and it doesn't like extended intervals either.

There were some TDI fuel problems where the whole FI system had to be replaced including the fuel tank and VW was denying warranty claims as they said poor fuel was to blame.

If you have a really good independent VW shop close by then you will be able to keep it on the road for a little less but in the next 20 years you will get to know the VW parts counter guys real well along with the shop techs.

Long term cars that people want to keep usually have a Toyota or a Honda badge and don't have a diesel in them either......Your experience may vary....

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »
   I am a VW fan especially the TDI group but they are Audis now and aren't near as self serviceable as somewhat recent models..................love the driving --hate the weird VW problems.

2002 Audi A6 ....great tourer.
     2004 VW R32.....just  great.

2008 Kawasaki C-14..are ya kidding?

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
Everyone I have meet loves their VW especially TDI , here in Australia you can also get Skoda which is VW by another name . They will last 20 plus years without much problems on the same engine remember 20 years should be about 250-400,000 MILES not many petrol cars that give great fuel economy will make that . My friend just bought another Skoda TDI and the Maximun service price is limited to $220 because it's diesel ,try getting a new car dealer to do that on a petrol car .He has by the way given the old one to his daughter he only replaced it because of tax reasons .I am looking at them seriously as well .

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
What year? Passat stopped TDI back in 05 or 06 I think.
I had a 2003 TDI Golf and loved it. It used Castrol Syntec Oil every 10,000 miles as manual suggests. I run it 125,000 with no problems like my other cars. I put glowplugs in at 100,000 miles at around $300. It should get a new timing belt every 100,000 miles. Mine was a 1.9 L and I got 43 mpg all the time at 50mph or 100mph. The standards get better fuel economy and feel faster
Try "Freds TDI Page" It is very imformative.
For $22,000 you can get close to a new Jetta or Golf Diesel. Not sure if the Passat you mentioned is new.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
It will be the 2012 2.0 TDI.  I'm gonna do some more research, almost feels like I'm cheating on this forum though 8)

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 05:44:51 AM »
Hey Pappy!
I don't mean to turn you off but the VW forums are generally pretty liberal...

I'm a diesel Dubber. 1890 VW Caddy (the pickup) with a transplanted 1.6td.

That era was analog everything. There are about 5 wires going to my engine and thats the way I like it. 45 mpg. And I brew my own Bio-d so it doesn't get any cheaper than that.
For you I would recommend a Toureg.

Ya' know, in case you need to defend yourself...

Now as far as the newer era...
Long term cars that people want to keep usually have a Toyota or a Honda badge and don't have a diesel in them either......Your experience may vary....
My other car is my second 91 Honda Accord, and I'll probably buy a third when this one is done. Put gas in it and change the brake pads every so often and you'll get to 300,000mi.

'02 C-10

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
If that Toureg was in Neutron Silver and that was a Browning up top I may be interested ;)  I eat libs for breakfast ;D

Still trying to dig up some dirt on the 2012 2.0 TDI.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »
31-43 mpg on the 2012. It has a 2.0. Base sticker is $25,995. Loaded can get you half way through the $30Ks. Looked very nice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline booger

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
I'd skip on the VW and go buy a Honda Accord if you want something to give you good mileage and be around in 20 years.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
Das Auto is Das junk IMHO.......at least compared to the other automakers in terms of overall reliability.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline koval68

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:08 AM »
I'm in the automobile towing business and can tell you, that all German cars have many electrical/electronic issues.
For that reason, my wife wasn't allowed ;) to buy VW Jetta Wagon TDI and had to settle for Honda CR-V.....FYI
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
So far the only dirt I've found on the new 2.0 TDI is an assumption that the High PressureFuel Pump wasn't upgraded, which in the past has been an issue (maybe as many failures as KIPASS :o), a fuel gauge that may or may not work correctly, and that some of the earlier models didnt come with a rear passenger heat/cooling tubes (technical term).  So far the best bit of info has come from this forum.  I do wonder what I'd get from a BMW forum?  If I were to measure my RT experience to this Passat I would shy away, never had an issue with that bike (other than maintenance costs, which ultimately led to its departure).  I will take a test drive to see what they are like when they are at their best, but I'm gonna wait a coupla years before I jump.  I know I want a TDI type car, great mileage and torque, not interested in a Prius, that bank of batteries will be expensive to replace and I just don't like the looks.  I sure wish there were more diesel choices in a sedan sized car :(

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Motor Trend loves the new Passat it swept a 3 car comparison (2.5, VR6, TDI) vs the camry and another car I can't recall. If I were in the market for a new four door it would definitely be a TDI.

I rented an Audi A3 with the 2.0 TDI and an A6 with the 3.0 TDI in Germany and they were both great cars with awesome torque.  The A6 could cruise at 150 all day. And not even break a sweat.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
It will be the 2012 2.0 TDI.  I'm gonna do some more research, almost feels like I'm cheating on this forum though 8)

NICE!!!!!!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
.  I know I want a TDI type car, great mileage and torque, not interested in a Prius, that bank of batteries will be expensive to replace and I just don't like the looks.  I sure wish there were more diesel choices in a sedan sized car :(
I may have never agreed with you so much before.  ??? Mercedes has a few diesel options as well of course and I believe Jeep is putting one in the new Grand Cherokee (3.0litre).
'02 C-10

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
Be thankfull you are in the USA they are about $44,000 downunder,yes another way we are screwed !!!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 09:52:23 PM »
Going to lunch with my friend Greg in his TDI Jetta headed west on the 202. 

Speedo says 90mph, instant economy gauge says 42mpg.

Yeah buddy!

I would get a manual if it was me though.  The autos are hard to service.  Plus my left foot gets bored...
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
I have had 6 VWs and have never had an electrical issue, unless you count the bad insulation on my 1971 Superbeetle that caused a short in my ignition back in 1983. I have had very few issues, non electrical and none that you could attribute to something other than normal wear and tear. I had to replace wheel bearing on my Jetta at 140,000, oh, and I had a syncro replaced under warranty at 99,000 miles.

All cars were high mileage. My last one was a 1995 Jetta with the 2.0 gas engine. I had 189,000 trouble free miles on it. The body looked great, interior looked great and the engine had good compression on all cylinders. I changed the oil at around 5,000 miles though sometimes I went over that. The car consistently got 34 MPG on the highway and 28 in town. I would have kept it had some idiot not have rear ended me. I decided to move to something else instead of fixing it. I still got $3600 out of it as it was.

I would not hesitate to get the TDI, it is a great engine. The only reason I don't have one is that I have reached a point that I don't really want to pay $25,000+ for a car anymore. I have gone back to basics. If I were to buy a car for that much money or more, I would want an engine that would last, and the TDI can.