Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 127923 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 05:49:24 AM »
No first hand knowledge, but I've heard that when you have to completely replace the entire fuel system, the bill is in the 10G neighborhood. Can anyone confirm/deny?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
No first hand knowledge, but I've heard that when you have to completely replace the entire fuel system, the bill is in the 10G neighborhood. Can anyone confirm/deny?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

'02 C-10

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
some reading material, looks like $6-11,000 to repair:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3002784&postcount=51
The High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) seems to be the one big issue, when it grenades it sends metal bits throughout the system, injectors, lines, both pumps, and tank.  VW replaces everything to insure all particles are removed.  It hasnt really been determined if it is a faulty design or the low sulfar diesel.  There is a service bulletin out to add a dampner to the end of each injector line and it appears that there is a new design and part number for the HPFP.  We test drove both the Passat and Jetta TDI, I think we will go with the Jetta, our sticking point is which package to go with, I want the loaded version which is about 25k out the door, the base is about 2k less.  We are not planning on buying anything untill January so I will continue to look for dirt on this car.
Oh, the test drive was great, plenty of get up and go, lots of room, front and back, quiet, comfy, and a huge trunk.
We haven't made any final decisions and will continue to shop all brands, but, I really like the torque of the TDI as well as the economy and distance per tank.  All things worked together, the only real advantage of a diesel is the torque and life expectancy of the engine.  Things like AdBlue (inline required additive every 15k or so) and intitial price of engine really balance out the fuel savings.  The DSG tranny was awesome, I tried the sport mode, standard mode, and of course the manual shift mode.  If my wife wasn't there I really think I'd be a 2012 Jetta TDI owner today.  At %1.9 financing it makes it fairly affordable.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
So, major news, I like dealing around the end of the month, I'm getting .9% financing, trading in my '06 Chevy Colorado 4X4.  My out the door price for the fully loaded TDI will be a tad over $16k.  Should have it in the driveway by Thursday ;D  And, it's the gray one, no way would I get the slower black or red ;)  I cant wait to put my Nobama sticker in the rear window and my "Drill baby drill" sticker next to it :stirpot:

Oh, I forgot to add something of extreme importance, 'specially to  wflsteve------it has a fob!!!  Push button start, keyless entry, fob never needs to leave your pocket :)  Just think, a fob in each pocket, betcha I turn into quite the ladies man.  Doesn't hurt to dream, sighhhhh.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:02:21 PM by Son of Pappy »

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
Jetta or Passat?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
Jetta!  I wonder which will get more miles next year, my 14, the KLR, or the Jetta?  Im thinking the 14 hands down, should be twice what the car gets, and the KLR?  It should get a few thou, lots of dirt to visit ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
So, major news, I like dealing around the end of the month, I'm getting .9% financing, trading in my '06 Chevy Colorado 4X4.  My out the door price for the fully loaded TDI will be a tad over $16k.  Should have it in the driveway by Thursday ;D  And, it's the gray one, no way would I get the slower black or red ;)  I cant wait to put my Nobama sticker in the rear window and my "Drill baby drill" sticker next to it :stirpot:

Oh, I forgot to add something of extreme importance, 'specially to  wflsteve------it has a fob!!!  Push button start, keyless entry, fob never needs to leave your pocket :)  Just think, a fob in each pocket, betcha I turn into quite the ladies man.  Doesn't hurt to dream, sighhhhh.

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
I really want a TDI sportwagen! But was just able to make the buyout payment on my grandfathers 2010 Accord EX-L lease (only 4100 mile), so I'll have to wait.

This is my first Honda, and am waiting to pass judgement till I can get more miles, but I don't see what all the hype is about with Honda's!
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
I'll be in the market for a new car real soon and I was looking at the TDI Sportwagen myself. Consumer Reports sure likes it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
I had a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Absolutely no power. You could pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal on the highway for cruise control. Max speed about 80. But the good news was it would get 57 mpg in town or flat out on the highway and any combination. I took the spare tire out of the well in the back and put an aftermarket 10 gal fuel tank in that well. With a total of 20 gal I had over 1000 mile range.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
I had a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Absolutely no power. You could pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal on the highway for cruise control. Max speed about 80. But the good news was it would get 57 mpg in town or flat out on the highway and any combination. I took the spare tire out of the well in the back and put an aftermarket 10 gal fuel tank in that well. With a total of 20 gal I had over 1000 mile range.

I hope that you never got a flat?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
I hope that you never got a flat?

I still carried the spare, just had to lay it in the back instead of in the nice well under the back deck.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
So.....  I ended up with the slower colored black one!  I will have it home tomorow.  As loaded as they come.  Got the extended warranty and get this 0% financing.  I also got the xzilon coating and window tint.  I figure if the HPFP grenades it'l happen before 100000 miles.  At 0% I don't know how I could go wrong.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »
So.....  I ended up with the slower colored black one!  I will have it home tomorow.  As loaded as they come.  Got the extended warranty and get this 0% financing.  I also got the xzilon coating and window tint.  I figure if the HPFP grenades it'l happen before 100000 miles.  At 0% I don't know how I could go wrong.

CONGRATS!

And a few pics would be nice too  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
CONGRATS!

And a few pics would be nice too  ;D
Will do, I am going to need to slow down my F stop tho 8)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
Enjoy it! Surprising how much power you feel in it. Not too many people can appreciate TDIs.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
Enjoy it! Surprising how much power you feel in it. Not too many people Americans can appreciate TDIs.

There, fixed it for ya. 

After living in Germany I saw the benefits of turbo diesel passenger cars that the US has ignored for the most part.  My neighbor got 50+ mpg in his Skoda and it was average, there are quite a few small TDI cars that could get 55-60 mpg.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
There, fixed it for ya. 

After living in Germany I saw the benefits of turbo diesel passenger cars that the US has ignored for the most part.  My neighbor got 50+ mpg in his Skoda and it was average, there are quite a few small TDI cars that could get 55-60 mpg.
Yep, back in '94 we rented a diesel Peugeot, non turboed, ran from Grobbendonk Belgium (3 tours, 2 in Germany, 1 in Belgium) to Frankfurt and back, same tank of diesel, average speed for the round trip-120mph.  It was silver BTW.  Back in the mid 70s my mother owned a little Golf Rabbit, it averaged 50 mpg, little 4 speed that just wouldnt die.  My old 86 F250 is diesel, absolute beast, gets almost as good a mileage as my (well, not anymore) 5 cylinder Colorado.  So, I converted along time ago, just never could find one I could afford/was willing to buy.  Heck, if I could find a reasonable conversion for my KLR I'd be all over it.  When I really retire, I'll have an F350 turboed dually and a nice 5th wheel toyhauler big enough to haul the 14, KLR, YZ, and the wifes quad.  Lots of folk around the nation I'd like to meet and twisties I'd like to ride.
Someday, soon I hope, America will really wake up and see the virtues of a well built diesel car, it seems the younger gen. is all caught up in horse power, most of them cant even spell torque, much less understand the value.
The last time I was this pumped was when I got my 14 brand spanking new, if this car provides half as many smiles it'll be a keeper for sure ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »
Chet,

You about have me sold on the TDI. I was going to wait till next year to buy but now I'm not so sure. What's the deal on the 0%? They had one on the lot that you liked eh?