Author Topic: A short ride and a close encounter with Bambi  (Read 3068 times)

Offline shreveportSS

A short ride and a close encounter with Bambi
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »
 I'm not much of a story writer so I'll make this short and to the point.
I took a ride this afternoon on some back roads today here in N.W. Louisiana. It was a beautiful day and I am glad I got a chance to rip it up for about 100 miles. Time came time to head home so I decided to take Hwy 1 south toward Oil City. The sun was just above the trees making it difficult to see the treeline on my right. When out of nowhere (i.e. I couldn't see him running accross the 50ft right of way) Bambi appears about 5 ft in front of me in mid jump. I guess he could see me pretty good but he was no Michael Jordan. I ducked, caught his chin on the top of helmet and we met shoulder to shoulder. He never touched the bike. I could see the north bound driver in front of me wide eyed and slack jawed like he had seen a miracle, then I saw Bambi in the mirror spinning around in mid air. I pulled over and looked back to see him jumping the fence on the other side. 3 cars stopped and we all had a good laugh recounting what happened. Good thing I had a few pounds on the deer or he would have taken me off the bike at 55mph. Everyone agreed it was a nice 8 point.
I learned a few things today.
1. The sun in your eyes with a bug covered visor makes Bambi invisible.
2. I'm kinda glad we don't have big deer here.
3. Not all deer can jump high.
4. I won't necessarily crap my pants in a near death situation. (not that I had time to)

I have had this bike since mid May and have hit 1 squirrel, 1 rabbit, and now a deer.  :o
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: A short ride and a close encounter with Bambi
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
Closer than I ever want to get to bambi, good on you for coming out on top!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Closer than I ever want to get to bambi, good on you for coming out on top!
Thanks. I'm glad I saw him in time to get leaned forward and get my shoulder into him or I might have lost the war. I was wearing full gear as I always have since buying this bike. Luck was on my side this time. I haven't taken a hit like that since high school football back in 80. Gonna be a bit sore tomorrow.
2011 Concours 14
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
I'd say your story telling is just fine.  You're not much of a model though.  The picture of you in your avatar must have been taken right after the incident?   ;)

I had a deer run across the road in front of me once, so close I could see it had nose hairs.  We locked eyes for a brief moment as he ran full speed across the road.  I just had time to grab some brake when it was over.  I too no longer fear crapping my pants in a situation like that, as it didn't happen then.  It all happens so fast. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:42:14 AM »
The Force is strong with this one.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »
The Force is strong with this one.
Indeed.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
........I could see the north bound driver in front of me wide eyed and slack jawed like he had seen a miracle, then I saw Bambi in the mirror spinning around in mid air. I pulled over and looked back to see him jumping the fence on the other side. 3 cars stopped and we they all had a good laugh as I cleaned my pants out while  recounting what happened. Good thing I had a few pounds on the deer or he would have taken me off the bike at 55mph. Everyone agreed it was a nice 8 point.
I learned a few things today.
1. The sun in your eyes with a bug covered visor makes Bambi invisible.
2. I'm kinda glad we don't have big deer here.
3. Not all deer can jump high.
4. I won't necessarily crap my pants in a near death situation. (not that I had time to)

I have had this bike since mid May and have hit 1 squirrel, 1 rabbit, and now a deer.  :o

There fixed it for ya!   ;D

Somebody was watchin' out for you.  I have had my share of wildlife encounters but none like that!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »

You are working your way up.  Next I'm guessing either an elk or a cow.  That will be an entertaining story, for sure!
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
You are working your way up.  Next I'm guessing either an elk or a cow.  That will be an entertaining story, for sure!
:o I hope not. I plan on not hitting anything. Not even a butterfly.
2011 Concours 14
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.