Author Topic: Do You Remove the STOVE KNOB key?  (Read 41454 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Do You Remove the STOVE KNOB key?
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
When you leave your Connie do you remove the Stove Pipe KNOB Key?

Do you use the stove pipe key to lock the forks?

If you leave the stove pipe key in her, has anyone noticed / found that someone had tried to force it to turn? (Steal her)

I may be foolish, but I have assumed that the FOB system security makes the connie safer than most bikes, and almost always leave the stove pipe in with the forks unlocked.

Brent

EDIT: Changed "Pipe" to "Knob" to correct thread subject  -Max 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:34:42 PM by maxtog »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline COGnosticat0r

Re: Do You Remove the STOVE PIPE key
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
When you leave your Connie do you remove the Stove Pipe Key?  No

Do you use the stove pipe key to lock the forks? No

If you leave the stove pipe key in her, has anyone noticed / found that someone had tried to force it to turn? (Steal her) Not yet, and hopefully never

I may be foolish, but I have assumed that the FOB system security makes the connie safer than most bikes, and almost always leave the stove pipe in with the forks unlocked.

Brent
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
Nope I never remove the key, Yes I lock my front forks, and no I don't think anybody has ever messed with it!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
I don't remove mine.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
I leave mine in at work and most places I go.  If I take a road trip to an unfamiliar area or park outside a hotel overnight I'll probably pull it just so no passerby gets any ideas. 

My fear is not having my bikes stolen - I love it but if it disappeared and never came back I would gladly take an insurance check and buy a new one - my fear is someone sees that key, hops on it to see if they could steal / mess with it and then get frustrated and knock it over or something stupid like that and then I have a damaged Concours. 

I should add I NEVER lock my forks.  If someone needed to move my bike for any reason I want them to be able to instead of having it tip over on them.  I've already been at work where we park a few bikes in a single spot and then because some person parked their car too close to us, the first person to leave for the day had to play musical bikes to get theirs out.  It falls under the I prefer that no one touches my bike but if they do I'd like to make the chance of damage as low as possible category.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline dbird29

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
There is a fork lock?
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
No

No

No
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
Yes, only when I need to use it for the tank at fuel stops and once in awhile for the bags.  Fork locks?  Maybe twice since new.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
Stove pipe? Stove knob you mean right?  :D

I've only had mine out a couple of times back when I frist bought the bike, other than that it stays put.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:14 AM »
I take my key out to put gas in it and to work the saddlebags. I only lock the forks when I'm out someplace or in a less than desirable area.

To operate the fork lock turn the handlebars full left or pull with your left hand then turn stove key counterclockwise. You may have to push down I cant remember off the top of my head.

Offline Afm252

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
Really? Can it be done? No, No, No. I have only turned the thing to turn it on, and rotated once screaming in frusteration after I left it in the on position after shut-down...killing the battery. Thank God for jumper cables.
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
I don't even remove it to fill the tank and unlock the bags.  I use the fob key.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mighty

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
I leave mine in at work and most places I go.  If I take a road trip to an unfamiliar area or park outside a hotel overnight I'll probably pull it just so no passerby gets any ideas. 

My fear is not having my bikes stolen - I love it but if it disappeared and never came back I would gladly take an insurance check and buy a new one - my fear is someone sees that key, hops on it to see if they could steal / mess with it and then get frustrated and knock it over or something stupid like that and then I have a damaged Concours. 

I should add I NEVER lock my forks.  If someone needed to move my bike for any reason I want them to be able to instead of having it tip over on them.  I've already been at work where we park a few bikes in a single spot and then because some person parked their car too close to us, the first person to leave for the day had to play musical bikes to get theirs out.  It falls under the I prefer that no one touches my bike but if they do I'd like to make the chance of damage as low as possible category.
All good points...........
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
I have'nt removed mine yet but maybe on my trip. I worry someone will see the key and start messing with it though and maybe break something. Might be better if they see an empty key hole

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Nope, I never remove it...

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
I think I have taken mine out once or twice since I bought it and that was only to see what it looked like.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »
I got a separate key made for the side cases and the gas tank. I epoxied it into a black knob and that key stays in the right side case 98% of the time. The stove knob never goes to FSS position or comes out now. I just find it more convenient. It utilizes the full awesomeness of KIPASS.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
1) No, it is meant to be left in the bike and should be there to protect the ignition switch from the elements.

2) I have never locked the front forks.

3) Not yet but I travel in pretty safe areas and use an alarm when leaving the bike in a public area so that will chirp before anyone can tinker with the key.

4) KiPass is both a security device as well as device that increases convenience. Someone will be along shortly to challenge that last point but that is what was intended by the mfg., and that is how it has worked for me for the last four years.  ;)

Brian

When you leave your Connie do you remove the Stove Pipe Key?

Do you use the stove pipe key to lock the forks?

If you leave the stove pipe key in her, has anyone noticed / found that someone had tried to force it to turn? (Steal her)

Brent
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com