Author Topic: Trippin' Connies 9 - Snowed Out  (Read 12773 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Trippin' Connies 9 - Snowed Out
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
Amazing! Words can't transmit my feelings!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
Amazing! Words can't transmit my feelings!

:)  :D  ;D  8)

Offline klb1122

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
Day 8 – 6/26/2017 – Oakridge, OR to Lakeview, OR – 290 Miles

Oakridge, OR to Lakeview, OR – 290 Miles – MAP LINK

We woke up, got ready and headed to our continental breakfast.  While we were eating, the guy riding the Beemer came in to eat and we talked to him for a bit.  He would be heading to Crater Lake NP today as well, but he’d be taking several dirt roads.  He actually lives just southwest of there, so he was almost home.  Right when we were about to head back to our room, the guy in the wheelchair showed up.  He was definitely a chatty Charlie, but it was time for us to get going so we left him talking to the Beemer guy.  I’m not sure how long it took him to get out of there.  The light was shining right on his bike when we got back, so I took a few pictures of it.

We took off and headed southeast on OR 58.  It was cool out, especially as we climbed more in elevation leaving town.  The road was wide and curvy, very enjoyable.  I had to get creative on the edits below because of the difference between the highlights and shadows.

At US 97 we headed south and stopped for gas in Chemult.

From there we rode down and took OR 138 to Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway and rode up to the north entrance station of Crater Lake National Park.  There was no one at the station and it was all closed up, so we just rode on.  We started climbing and seeing a bit of snow.  The higher we rode, the more we were surrounded by snow.  The plan was to ride the full loop around the lake.  We passed the first couple of overlooks, just getting glimpses of the incredible blue water as we rode by.  Then we hit the construction zone, which started at the Watchman Overlook and went for maybe 2 miles.  The road was tore up and dirt that whole way.  We had to sit and wait for the pilot car for about 15 minutes.

The construction ended around Discovery Point and after we got back on pavement we stopped at the next overlook.

(Click for larger pano size)

We continued on and stopped at the Steel Visitor Center.  We went in for stickers and magnets and purchased plenty of them.  While in there, I confirmed my fears with a ranger, the road around the east side of the lake was closed still.  Bummer!  200 Foot down the road was where we were supposed to turn and ride the east side of the lake.  But, as you can see, we were snowed out.

We could have cut the route very short, but decided to ride everything we planned on except for the remainder of the Rim Dr.  This meant turning around here and heading back out to OR 138.  We passed it the first time, but on the way back out we stopped at the Rim Village Visitor Center area, which was crowded, but also had great views of the lake.

Getting back out of there, we headed back north and got to sit and wait for the pilot car at the construction zone again.

I knew we had passed an area on the way down where the snow was piled high on the side of the road and I told dad I wanted to stop there for some pictures.  After getting through the construction we found the spot.

Our final lake view stop was at Merriam Point.  I don’t apologize for the amount of photos, this place is absolutely breathtaking and I couldn’t narrow my favorite pictures down any further.

Almost back out of the park, we stopped one last time to take a break at a spot I saw coming in. 

After a lengthy break, we rode out of the park and took a left on OR 230.  Our next stop was at a spot  right passed where I saw a glimpse of some falls.  It was on the Rogue River and we walked down the little path to have a look at the falls.

We continued south and then turned left on OR 62/Crater Lake Hwy.  Somewhere along there we stopped and had a look at, what I guess you could consider, a canyon. 

I couldn’t believe there was actually still snow here!  It wasn’t exactly cool.

We finally moved away from the Crater Lake area and then took OR 422 to OR 858 to OR 140.  Right after turning on OR 140 we were trying to figure out if the smoke we were seeing in the distance was from a wildfire or not and a bald eagle swooped down right beside the road and then flew off into the field and landed on a power line pole.  I pulled over to watch it and see if it would take off and come back our way or not.  When it finally did take off, it flew the other direction and then quickly looped around and soared up into the atmosphere.  Once again, I really regretted not having my 200-500mm with me. 

We rode on, and while we were not on empty, we ended up stopping for a little break and for gas in Bly.  The lady in the store confirmed that the smoke was from a wildfire.

40 Miles later we arrived in Lakeview and found our hotel.  It was under some renovations and half the parking lot was blocked off due to repaving.  That wasn’t a problem.  Our room ended up being next to a hallway that led to where they kept supplies for the renovation.  Every time they would go through the door the suction through hallway would cause the door to slam shut.  It took us a few minutes to figure out what was making all the noise.  We ended up just propping the door open to keep from listening to it.  We walked next door for dinner at El Aguila Real Mexican Restaurant.  The food actually wasn’t half bad and the salsa was good!

We walked back and watched game 1 of the College World Series game, which we had been following as the tournament progressed.  After that was over, we crashed out for the night.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »
Wow. Thank you.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
Thank you! I admire the time you take to photograph and document your trip. I am also a bit envious that you get to do this with your Dad. Thanks for the pics and the great write ups.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
How well does your dad tolerate the time you spend snappin'?

I've been with slow photogs, and it can be kinda torturous (if there is such a thing as 'kinda torturous')

ps I spelled 'torturous' wrong twice!   :o
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:31:38 PM by Conniesaki »

Offline klb1122

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Wow. Thank you.

Welcome.  Thanks for following along.   :)

Offline klb1122

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »
Thank you! I admire the time you take to photograph and document your trip. I am also a bit envious that you get to do this with your Dad. Thanks for the pics and the great write ups.
Wayne

Some of the absolute best times of my life have been during these trips with dad.  I'm very fortunate to be able to do this with him. 

Offline klb1122

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:42 PM »
How well does your dad tolerate the time you spend snappin'?

I've been with slow photogs, and it can be kinda tortuous (if there is such a thing as 'kinda tortuous')

He doesn't really mind, especially these days.  The more breaks the better.  He also knows that my two hobbies are motorcycles and photography, so if he doesn't like it, he just deals with it.   ;D

Offline klb1122

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
Day 9 – 6/27/2017 – Lakeview, OR to Tooele, UT – 555 Miles

Lakeview, OR to Tooele, UT – 555 Miles – MAP LINK

We were up early with the normal routine… call from my wife and girls, wake up, pack stuff up, get continental breakfast, pack bikes, and take off.  We rode up US 395 a couple miles then took a right on OR 140.  There was a great curvy section all the way to Adel.  There was a chill in the morning and we were heading right into the sun, so there was no pushing it.  Not that I ever really push it any longer, I ride like I’m 95 these days.  We stopped right at the end of the twisty section for some pictures.

Right after we took off from here we passed 2 groups of deer that were on the side of the road.  Over the next 40 miles there were jack rabbits everywhere.  I must have seen 100 of them and had close calls with 20.  They’d cross the road right in front of me and stop on the side of the road, then dad would ride by and honk his horn and they would do all sorts of crazy things.  They would bounce around like they were shot full of adrenaline.  Somewhere along OR 140 we saw a coyote cross the road in front of us as well. 

In Adel we saw a sign that warned us: “Next Services 99 miles.”  I looked down and we already had 80 miles on this tank.  We didn’t stop last night or this morning because we only had gone 40 miles since the fill-up in Bly.  No problem though, 180 miles should be easily attainable.  I kicked the speed down to 65-70mph just to make sure.  Before crossing back into Nevada there we climbed up onto a plateau.  Near the top we stopped and looked around, we could see for miles up there.

40 Miles into Nevada we came to a “T” in the road.  We were at the 180 mile mark on this tank of gas.  Ok, so where’s the gas station?  We took a look around and there was some sort of store at the junction, but it looked like no one has set foot around there in 20 years.  We were supposed to take a right here, but we could see a small town down the road on the left.  We decided to head down there to see if maybe that’s where the gas was.  3 Miles later it took a few seconds to realize that the town of Denio didn’t have anything but a Post Office.  We started checking our GPS units and it wasn’t looking good.  It was looking like at least 45 miles to the nearest station, but it seemed to be on our route.  We continued southeast on NV 140.  I slowed it down to a crawl, averaging between 50-55mph.  It was agonizingly slow!  Leaving Denio, my gas gauge was already showing empty.  As we were poking along, in the middle of nowhere there were two Nevada DOT workers messing with a sign.  We pulled over and asked them about the nearest station.  They said they were installing a tank back at the junction, but dad and I saw nothing of the sort.  After that, they basically confirmed what our GPS units were telling us, we had about 30 miles left to go.  Riding along we entertained ourselves with discussing what we were going to do when I ran out of gas.  We made it to US 95 and turned south.  The gas station was showing another 9 miles and my display had been flashing at me for a while now.  We crested a hill and I could see the Chevron at the bottom, so I pulled in the clutch and coasted the last mile or so.  We thanked the ladies inside for being there, and they said they hear that all the time. 

Final tally for that tank of gas was 235.8 miles.  I would have easily run out of gas if we would have run our normal pace the whole way. 

We continued south on US 95 to I-80, where we turned east.  Basically the rest of the day we would spend on I-80.  We stopped for a fill-up at Elko.

And then again in Wendover, but I didn’t pull out the camera.  From the station we could see the salt flats.  A couple miles down I-80 from there we passed the Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway.  I wanted to pull over somewhere along there for a picture, but we were on the south side of the interstate and all the good spots were on the north side.  I just kept rolling on.   We exited off of I-80 and headed south on UT 138 to Grantsville.  Out of there we took UT 112 into Tooele.  We must have hit Tooele at rush hour because there were people everywhere.  After checking into the hotel we headed to dinner.  In my planning for the trip I had noticed Tooele had a brewery, Bonneville Brewery.  I saw they had food, so that’s where I planned to eat for the night.  I think there was an overpass that was put in since my GPS was made, so it took us a few extra turns to get there, but we made it. 

I got dad to step out of his comfort zone, and guess what, he really enjoyed their light beer.  I tried both their amber and their stout. 

I had a personal pizza and dad had Cajun pasta with andouille sausage.  It was the best food he had all trip.

We each bought a pint glass as a souvenir.  When we were gearing up to take off, a guy riding a metric cruiser pulled into the parking lot with a female on the back.  He revved his way through the parking lot as we watched on.  Then, as he was backing into a parking space he continued to rev it.  Dad was inspired and fired up his Connie.  By this time, the guy had shut down his bike, but was still on it.  Dad began to rev his bike, then the greatest thing happened.  The metric cruiser guy started his bike back up and they revved back and forth, while I died laughing.  I started my bike up, and as we headed out I revved mine like an idiot, hopefully showing the guy just how ridiculous he was being.  I doubt it worked, but dad and I got a good laugh out of it.  We filled up our bikes and headed back to the hotel where watched game 2 of the College World Series as Florida wrapped it up.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
He doesn't really mind, especially these days.  The more breaks the better.  He also knows that my two hobbies are motorcycles and photography, so if he doesn't like it, he just deals with it.   ;D

:thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline klb1122

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:09 PM »
Day 10 – 6/28/2017 – Tooele, UT to Montrose, CO – 500 Miles

Tooele, UT to Montrose, CO – 500 Miles – MAP LINK

The Best Western in Tooele has your standard continental breakfast items, but they have the sweetest lady in there helping.  I’d guess she’s in her 70s.  When I walked in, she asked if I wanted an omelette.  I was a bit caught off guard, but said sure.  She went through all the ingredients they had and I said I’d take them all.  I enjoyed our conversation as the omelette cooked and even as I ate, since it wasn’t busy in there.  We packed up and got moving heading south on UT 36.  We then turned on UT 73 to get around Flat Top Mountain and over to I-15.  This would be a day of construction zones, and it started off first thing in the morning.  It took us way too long just to get to I-15. 

We ran south on I-15 to get to US 6 and head southeast.  We stopped for a break just before getting to Tucker at the Tie Fork Rest Area.  We’ve stopped here before and it’s a good spot to stretch the legs.

Moving on, there was a helicopter doing something just across the river from the road and I pulled over.  We never did figure out what it was doing.  This was just before entering the Price Canyon area.

We filled up in Price and then got caught in more construction before we got to I-70. 

We blasted down I-70 trying to make some time back up on our day and crossed into Colorado.  We exited in Grand Junction to get to US 50.  Before leaving town we filled up. 

Leaving Grand Junction we took US 50 and then turned on CO 141.  The last time we rode 141 we got caught in a rain storm.  I’ve wanted to ride it again sans rain.  Today was the day, we just had a bit of wind to deal with.  It’s a great twisty road with very little traffic.  For the most part, we only saw several groups of BMW K 1600 GTs riding the opposite direction.  A large portion of the road snakes along with the Dolores River.  We made several stops along the road, the first being at the West Creek Picnic Area.

The second stop we made was in the red canyon area.  I always enjoy scenery like this.

And it never fails, I always stop too early when I’m looking for a good spot.  In this case, a couple corners down the road from the shots below there was a great area, but we had spent too much time here.  Oh well.

After riding through Naturita, we turned onto CO 145.  This road eventually mates with the San Miguel River and pleasantly curves along with it.  We stopped along there for a short rest.

In Placerville we took CO 62 to cut over to US 550.  We got caught in a couple of construction zones along here.  The only positive was we were staring at beautiful mountains.

The remainder of the ride felt like slow motion.  US 550 was congested from Ridgeway all the way up to Montrose.  We turned east on US 50 and road a few miles down to our hotel.  My research showed that the Super 8 in Montrose was a solid choice.  After staying there I’d agree.  When looking at where to eat here, prior to the trip, I noticed Horsefly Brewing Company was just down the road.  After the good experience the previous night, it didn’t take dad any convincing to try this brewery out. 

We sat in their back room and from there could hear the live music playing outside.  This guy was awesome and we really enjoyed listening to him.  I believe it was an open mic night, so several guys played after him.  They were ok, but we could have listened to the first guy forever.

The absolute only negative thing about our experience at Horsefly Brewing Company was that they were out of their blonde, so dad had to get the pale ale.  I tried a couple different brews, all of them were good to me.  We started with some great stuffed jalapenos.  They had a $1 taco special going on so dad tried every one they had.  I tried their special for the night, which was a pulled pork burrito.  The food was great!  We took our time and hung out there for a while.  Dad even bought a shirt!

It was an awesome end to the day.  We headed back to the hotel, filling up before getting there, and then relaxed in the room the remainder of the night. 

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
That's awesome.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
Hella jelly of doughs mad skills, Mang! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »
Hella jelly of doughs mad skills, Mang! 8)

;D

Offline klb1122

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »

Offline klb1122

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »
Day 11 – 6/29/2017 – Montrose, CO to Dumas, TX – 533 Miles

Montrose, CO to Dumas, TX – 533 Miles – MAP LINK

After over a week on the road we definitely get into a routine in the mornings.  The only thing to throw that off was hoping in and out of time zones.  After breakfast we started to load up the bikes.  When we were almost done and ready to leave, the owner of the V-Strom 1k outside came out and struck up a conversation.  She was from the mid-west and on a 3k mile solo ride.  We swapped a few stories back and forth and then it was time to hit the road.  We headed east on US 50 and the construction theme from yesterday carried over into the morning.  We didn’t get too far before we were stopped by the first flagger of the day.

Don’t let the picture above fool you, dad wasn’t leading.  He never leads on our rides.  I probably wouldn’t know what to do with myself riding behind him or anyone for that matter.  Maybe 15 miles up the road we hit the next flagger because the bridge that crosses Blue Mesa Reservoir was being worked on.

One of the roads I made sure to work into this year’s ride was CO 149.  I’ve heard so much about this road in the past, but I’ve never been able to make it fit in the route.  I can without a doubt say that we were missing out!   What an absolute treat of a road!  It really has everything you’d want in a perfect motorcycle road, but I’m most likely just preaching to the choir.  The first stop we made was just south of Lake City.

From there we continued to climb and I saw a sign for an overlook and turned down it.  The overlook was down the road 5A. 

The plan was to stop at the North Clear Creek Falls Observation Site.  I even had it built into the route on the GPS.  We must have been enjoying the road too much because we went right by it and I guess the GPS units recalculated.  I was bummed about it, but it’s the perfect excuse to go back down CO 149.  Looking at the map I see we stopped about 5 miles past the falls, oblivious that we were that close. 

The traffic on CO 149 was really light, which made it even more enjoyable.  We finally finished it off and continued to head east on US 160 out of South Fork.  We stopped for gas there and noticed the immediate uptick in traffic around there. 

When I went to push back my bike from there, while sitting on it, my right foot slipped and my shin smashed into my footpeg.  Of course it hit right above my boot, so it was a direct shot.  I was reminded of the incident all the way home, every time my shin would graze the footpeg.  It left bump and a nice bruise on my leg for about a week.  The ride from South Fork to where we exited US 160 was painfully boring.  It didn’t help that we were constantly stuck behind cars with little opportunity to pass due to the traffic coming the opposite way.  We turned south on CO 450 and headed down to La Veta.  From there we took CO 12, our last bit of excitement, prior to reaching I-25.  The only problem with CO 12 was it was pretty busy along there as well.  There’s great scenery along there, and the road is nice, but the traffic ruined it for us.  We stopped for a short break at North Lake. 

We finished off CO 12 and in Trinidad we hopped on I-25 to head south.  The fun was officially over!  Of course there was construction as we climbed up towards Raton Pass.  We crossed into New Mexico and exited onto US 87, stopping for gas there.

Taking off from there, my wife gave me a call a few miles down the road.  I was talking to her for a few seconds when I got absolutely blasted by a wind gust.  I literally thought it was headed for an off-road adventure, but thankfully that didn’t happen.  The remainder of the ride was miserable.  I had a hard time getting connected back to dad on the headsets.  So we were riding in silence, it was late in the afternoon, the road was boring and the wind was throwing us around.  My arms were killing me because I had a death grip on the bars.  We crossed back into Texas and finished of the ride by getting to our hotel in Dumas.  We walked next door and ate at the 287 Roadhouse.  I feasted on the smothered chop steak. 

After showering we basically went right to sleep in preparation for an early takeoff time in the morning to get home.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:05:28 PM by klb1122 »

Offline klb1122

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »
Day 12 – 6/30/2017 – Dumas, TX to Houston, TX – 663 Miles

Dumas, TX to Houston, TX – 663 Miles – MAP LINK

And now for the part we dread, riding across Texas in the heat to get back home.  We woke up early and got on the road as the sun was coming up.  We rode down US 87 and then took loop 335 around Amarillo to get to I-40 and a few miles later US 287.  We’ve done this route several times before and it never gets any more fun.  It’s just a means to an end, and makes me feel better inside than trailering our bikes somewhere.  Our first stop for gas was in Childress.

This year I had to invest in all new gear (other than boots) since my old stuff no longer fit.  I went with an Olympia Airglide 5 jacket and Airglide 4 pants.  For gloves I picked up some Alpinestars SMX-1 Air Gloves.  These items are by far the best I’ve ever owned.  I have no complaints for with any of these items and I feel like they will last for a long time.  While I didn’t necessarily need a new helmet, my modular HJC was a little long in the tooth and I never really liked it.  Over time it felt like it was just going to fall apart.  I decided to give the Scorpion EXO-GT920 a try.  It’s my favorite helmet I’ve ever owned.  It’s the first one I’ve had with the internal sun visor, and for me it’s a game changer.  No more tinted shields or sunglasses.  When it’s hot out, I like to ride with my shield open and the internal sun visor makes that easy.  The only complaint I have is that there is a bit of noise when the visor is shut and the top vent is opened.  I’m very happy with my purchases, no regrets.  

The next stop for gas was in Alvord.  It was already getting steamy out so we filled up and then parked in the shade for a break.  

The all-stars for this trip were the highway pegs.  We just kept on wondering why we didn’t add these earlier.  They are worth their weight in gold for trips like these.  Having the extra position to put your legs in makes a HUGE difference in comfort at the end of the day.  Dad was able to stretch his legs further on his, but I felt just fine with mine.  Also, he never did take 5 minutes to remove the heat deflectors on the fairings, so he just dealt with the edge of them pushing against his legs.  Here are some pictures showing the difference, the first ones being mine.

After riding through Rhome, mom called and said that I-35 traffic looked terrible.  I wasn’t surprised at all and always dread that part of the route.  She ended up routing us over to Business US 287 down to loop 820.  We took the loop all the way around and exited back on US 287 on the southeast side of Fort Worth.  With it being as hot as it was I would much rather deal with riding some extra miles in lieu of sitting in traffic.  It worked perfectly.  We took US 287 down to Ennis and then got on I-45 to head south.  I wanted to make it all the way to the Buc-ee’s in Madisonville on that tank of gas, but it became clear that wasn’t going to be possible.  We ended up stopping in Fairfield for a quick splash of gas and moved on down to Buc-ee’s where we stopped for a longer break.  It was hot as heck there and the place was absolutely packed.  All the shaded spots were taken so we had to park out in the sun.  As the bikes baked, we stood on the side of the store in a sliver of shade.  We normally would have stayed there longer, but it just wasn’t worth it this day.  I went in and picked up some beef jerky for my wife.  We slammed some drinks and headed home.  

We took I-45 down to the Hardy Toll Road.  As I say every time, it’s always an eye opener when we get back on I-45.  For days we’ve been used to passing everyone, and all the sudden when we’re running our normal pace we’re the slow ones on the road.  The predators become the prey.  Even when we got on the Hardy Toll Road it was crowded.  We finished off the ride and split off by my house.  Another successful and amazing trip in the books filled with memories.  The only blunder was the tip-over dad had in California.  It was a shame we were snowed out of Lassen and half of Crater Lake, but if it wouldn’t have happened I don’t know what I would have done for a title to the report.  

5,627.8 Miles for this year’s trip according to my odometer and my Connie now has over 61k.

Here are my GPS totals for the entire trip:

Thank you for following along!

Offline klb1122

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
I put this little map together... 39,413 miles together in the last 9 years.  

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
Absolutely stunning pics and ride report...thanks so much for sharing mate!  :thumbs: :thumbs: This thread has been hugely entertaining and interesting from someone outside of the USA, I've managed to live vicariously through the entire trip thanks to you and your dad....thanks once again!  Awesome that you guys can share these experiences together. Respect!! :chugbeer: