Author Topic: Free power!  (Read 77333 times)

Offline dhidaka

Re: Free power!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »
Nice tip. Thanks, Steve

I wired the ground wire on my '05 a little differently. Instead of cutting the black/yellow wire going to the igniter I "T-spliced" a piece of wire onto the original wire by soldering. Then ran that wire directly to the negative post on my battery. That way I accomplished the same thing you outlined in your video, only with fewer connections.

Your modification recommendation seems to improve throttle response and acceleration. Of course this is very subjective without dyno comparisons. But, as it is now, this leads me to believe that the ignition system as it comes from the factory is not as strong as it should be. If an ignition system will handle increased spark gaps, there is potentially some power there. Now, with a supposedly stronger spark I think I will increase the spark plug gap .005" plus the next time I have my gas tank off. I might even try a plug gap increase up to .020" to see what happens. If anyone would like to try this, give us a report. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
I will add that I see no good reason to increase spark plug gap any wider than factory spec and in fact keep mine on the narrow end of the spec... You will not see any notable increase in power and will only increase the chances of a spark not making the jump further down the road once the plugs begin to show signs of wear... Better to have a stong spark jumping a short gap than a weak spark not making the jump at all...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
  Here ya go - Steve

Free Power for Concours ZG1000

Wanted to see this topic brought back to the top as it is a very good and simple way to improve the performance of these grand old bikes.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
Does this really work? I can't shake the feeling that it's just a quick fix that may improve an old bike where the wiring and contacts are just aged and not functioning as they did when the bike was still new. A cheat, instead of solving the real problems with an older bike.

I honestly do not know. Did anyone try this with a relative new bike? :)
Photography : www.masque-obscura.nl

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
Not a temporary fix.
As the bikes age, corrosion/resistance builds up on the wiring.
If your wiring is perfect, it could have the problem in the future...
This fix corrects that potential problem.
Well worth doing.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
I tried it. Unfortunately at the same time as I cleaned my carbs, so I don't know for sure if there is improvement, but the bike seems to respond better to the throttle. :)

Offline rrman1

• rode 75 z1 900 100k+ miles. love this 2001 C10
    • jim
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
parasitic drain test can also be done w a test lite.  the lite serves to indicate amperage/flow which is draining the battery.  disconnect circuits one at a time till no lite.  guage lite bulb was recommended but i have always used a turn signal/tail lite bulb w success.  same procedure as connie rider listed.
     this method should show .4 amp very easily, especially if you observe the light filament closely for any glow at all.  response to below post.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:31:01 AM by rrman1 »
the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Using a multimeter works better though. I recently had a power leak of 0,4A, holding a light between the battery and cable did nothing, but the meter did show a leak. (which I've managed to trace and fix. :) )

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
Hi all - I finally decided to do this MOD to my Connie today, and lo and behold - the previous owner already did it! 

WELL... he did it half way.  The direct ground to the battery from the igniter pigtail was done, but the black/yellow wire was just cut and sitting there. No pigtail, not loop to accessories, no nothing...  I'm assuming it can't be that bad because I've put near 3500 miles on the bike  this summer?

I'm going to run a pigtail to the fender like Steve did, but I thought I'd share one of those wonderful discoveries you can only get with older, pre-owned bikes.

Sad part is I was hoping to get some better response from the bike because I'm not happy with it, but apparently, this IS better response. 

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »
Sad part is I was hoping to get some better response from the bike because I'm not happy with it, but apparently, this IS better response.

Carbs, valves, spark plugs, and air cleaner set correctly and in good working order?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
That's what this weekend is all about - I don't winterize because I ride all year, but I do a spring and winter tuneup to all my bikes every year.  Valves are good, spark plugs are 3000 miles old, air-cleaner needs replacing, and carbs really need a full overhaul - doubt they've ever been rebuilt or overhauled in 28 years.  I'd like to send them out to shoodaben, but I can't have my bike down that long.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »
Trying not to hi-jack the thread here.  Besides cleaning every orifice perfectly, and the float needle seats in perfect order, the fuel height is critical to performance and fuel economy.  Search the forum and you can find it all. The main takeaway is to set the fuel level in the bowl right at the body/bowl seam line.  For idle and sync, where the butterfly plate meets the lower half of the outlet venturi, you are looking to expose the first half edge of the first hole of the tiny ports inside the venturi if I recall correctly.  Start another post for this if you have more questions.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
That's what this weekend is all about - I don't winterize because I ride all year, but I do a spring and winter tuneup to all my bikes every year.  Valves are good, spark plugs are 3000 miles old, air-cleaner needs replacing, and carbs really need a full overhaul - doubt they've ever been rebuilt or overhauled in 28 years.  I'd like to send them out to shoodaben, but I can't have my bike down that long.
[/quote

How long do you think they'd be down? I ship usps priority, and turn around in 3 days or less. Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Trying not to hi-jack the thread here.  Besides cleaning every orifice perfectly, and the float needle seats in perfect order, the fuel height is critical to performance and fuel economy.  Search the forum and you can find it all. The main takeaway is to set the fuel level in the bowl right at the body/bowl seam line.  For idle and sync, where the butterfly plate meets the lower half of the outlet venturi, you are looking to expose the first half edge of the first hole of the tiny ports inside the venturi if I recall correctly.  Start another post for this if you have more questions.

glad someone reads my stuff...
thank you..
 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »

How long do you think they'd be down? I ship usps priority, and turn around in 3 days or less. Steve

Steve - I ride mine daily as a commuter.  As the weather turns cooler, I'll be willing to pull the carbs and ship them to you for the full treatment, but my other rides are a 78 SR500 and a 98 Dodge van.  One is too damn small for commuting and the other gets 13MPG.  And honestly, we here in Austin wait all damn year for October and November - best months of riding we get, IMHO.

Meanwhile, I have pulled side plastics and tank off, and - after finishing the free power mod that last owner started -I relocated the reserve coolant tank to under the seat and went to pull the air filter and discovered that there is an actual wine bottle cork shoved into the top of my airbox... Someone please tell me there is a reason for this besides that the last owner was an alcoholic???

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 04:17:03 AM »
... and discovered that there is an actual wine bottle cork shoved into the top of my airbox... Someone please tell me there is a reason for this besides that the last owner was an alcoholic???

Sounds like the PO removed the system that pulls clean air from the box and injects it into the exhaust system to help burn off/dilute unburnt fuel. This is a very common mod as it does nothing to help mileage or otherwise improve performance and just gets in the way. If you look at your valve cover you will notice a couple of blank plates covering up the reed valves that were the heart of this system.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 06:14:17 AM »
Sounds like the PO removed the system that pulls clean air from the box and injects it into the exhaust system to help burn off/dilute unburnt fuel. This is a very common mod as it does nothing to help mileage or otherwise improve performance and just gets in the way. If you look at your valve cover you will notice a couple of blank plates covering up the reed valves that were the heart of this system.

Ah -  My reed valves have the original caps still - I need to check to make sure the PO actually capped them inside somehow.  From the looks, they're sitting open to the world.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
Ah -  My reed valves have the original caps still - I need to check to make sure the PO actually capped them inside somehow.  From the looks, they're sitting open to the world.

Well that wouldn't be the end of the world. The system was fairly passive to start with in that it included no pump or method of injection it merely allowed air to be sucked into the exhaust and reed valves prevented reverse flow. If I recall correctly on my bike I found a way of taking the reed valves apart and putting them back together in a different order to seal them shut.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Free power! resistance measurement
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
So I watched the video and it's cool and rainy in Ottawa today, what better time to investigate this idea in the garage.

My digital ohm-meter lowest scale is 200.0 ohms. With the meter leads shorted, it reads 0.6 ohms.

With one lead on the black/yellow igniter terminal and the other on the battery negative lead, it also reads 0.6 ohms. If the bike wire resistance was greater than 0.05 ohms, the meter would read 0.7.

It looks like on my C10, the bike wire resistance is pretty low already. Maybe on other bikes the resistance is higher.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »
George, what voltage does your bike show at idle? almost every bike I ever checked was 12.8 to 13.2V
 After adding the new ground wire, the idle voltage is 14.3V. This has really been the case with every bike I've done. Steve