Author Topic: Built my case mount yesterday  (Read 17649 times)

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
Built my case mount yesterday
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
Decided to just use what was in the garage, so as a result it's REALLY sturdy, and REALLY useless as anything other than a top case mount...lol

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Built my case mount yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
Offhand I say you're not going to loose the topcase.  :thumbs:

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
Lol - yeah, I think it's safe to say the rack is up to the challenge

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
In my opinion you can probably disregard the weight limit of your top case.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »
In my opinion you can probably disregard the weight limit of your top case.
HA!  My buddy asked me if I thought I used enough filler rod in the welds  :o ...  I told him this is what happens when you're stuck welding with an oxyfuel rig and have too much time on your hands

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »
Looks fairly robust. So do you drive all the time without the lowers on your fairing?

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Looks fairly robust. So do you drive all the time without the lowers on your fairing?

Well I just got the Bike a few weeks ago, and since we are approaching summer in Texas and the lower plastics on the bike were damaged, I just took them off permanently.  I've never owned a full fairing bike except my Yamaha Venture Royale touring bike, so I really don't know what I might be missing by having the lowers removed.  I like it this way.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »
Let me know how it works for you. I am just a little south of you so it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
Will do.

Offline philstill

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
I'm in the process of welding up something very similar.  The end result will be a 4 wheeler rack covering the passenger area spanning the width of the bike and hardcases.

Mounting to the bike, any issues or helpful hints that might save me some time?  Much appreciated.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:11 PM »
I would make it VERY easy to remove. Being able to remove the seat is pretty important.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
Well I just got the Bike a few weeks ago, and since we are approaching summer in Texas and the lower plastics on the bike were damaged, I just took them off permanently.  I've never owned a full fairing bike except my Yamaha Venture Royale touring bike, so I really don't know what I might be missing by having the lowers removed.  I like it this way.

I like the look of your bike without the lowers. this is my first full faired bike too

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »

I removed the factory rack, used nylon spacers and longer bolts. Works fine, but won't stand up to weight yours can carry ;)

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »
Let me know how it works for you. I am just a little south of you so it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

I always ride without lower fairing in the summer. It makes a big difference when it comes to temperature. My legs don't get roasted. Especially navigating traffic jams or slow traffic in cities is uncomfortable with the lower fairings on.

When it's colder, I love the extra warmth, and the lower fairing is brilliant at protecting my legs and feet from rain.
Photography : www.masque-obscura.nl

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
Well, I've put about 2500 miles on it this summer, and I am extremely happy to have the lower fairing gone.  I have no plans to buy a set and install them for the winter.  We'll see how it works.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
I've been riding my '92 without lowers for about 2 years now...I like the semi-naked look, but then I like the full-faring look also...if you're going to leave them off, consider moving the radiator overflow tank up behind the battery box like I and many others here have done...looks a lot more streamlined without that plastic bulge at the bottom of the frame tubes...can't remember which bike you have to look for to get the new overflow bottle from, but I can go out and snap a pic for you if you'd like? Got mine off Ebay for (I think) $8...after the switch you do need to pop the seat to check your coolant level, but that's just a key-turn away...
That case mount may just be the strongest part of your entire machine...well done!

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
Ummmm,  Murph's Plates. Very reasonable, easy to install, stick a few washers under the rear bolt to keep the trunk level. Its just too Ez.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
nice job. I've been procrastinating about building a rack for my trunk. you've given me the incentive to tackle it this summer, except, I'll be using a stick welder.