Author Topic: DIY MC Crruise Install difficulty rating?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline eng943

DIY MC Crruise Install difficulty rating?
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »
My CC unit should arrive soon. Dealer wants $500.00 to install.

Seems like a lot of money to me, so I am wondering to if those that have installed this themselves can assign a difficulty rating to this. on a scale of 1-10, 10 being "very difficult", where would you assign this task?

Also, how long in terms of hours would you say it took? My free time is pretty minimal.

Thanks!
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline katata1100

Re: DIY MC Crruise Install difficulty rating?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
 That sounds like a good deal on the install .
I have a mccruise and because I can’t get it to work right, I’ll be taking a week long trip to Pacific Northwest in my car instead of the bike.
It was in the 20’s in my garage, so I went in for an hour or two at a time to do it. I think it took 10 hours. I think I can get all the plastic and junk together in two hours.
It is not that hard to install. Getting all the plastic off, installing it, not bad.
Setting up is a different story. I’m stumped at this point . Around my neighbor hood, 30mph Cruise means the bike lurches forward, pauses, lurches forward , etc. I got a call from mccruise today but it was hard to understand him as the connection was awful, lots of dropouts.
Yes, I understand that cable play is crucial but I measured best I could, double checked everything.
I’ll give him a call next week after my trip, but I can’t hide my disappointment as I was hoping to have a c14 with cc for next week. Install I’d give a 6, setting up a 10 since I haven’t gotten it to properly work yet.
Had I known what I know now and if I had a shop that’d install it for $500, I’d gone that route.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »
I thought the mccruise was supposed to be mainly plug & play ?. I installed a Rostra on mine & was an 8 hour install, Also only cost $250
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
Setting up is a different story. I’m stumped at this point . Around my neighbor hood, 30mph Cruise means the bike lurches forward, pauses, lurches forward , etc.

I have no experience with McCruise, but the Rostra can be made to do that (buck and jerk and lurch) easily at lower speeds. It also can be made to hold 30 in 4th gear if you get it on the money before engagement, but usually lower speeds are not a CC strong point on any vehicle, especially on manual transmissions. Give the MC Cruise a fair shake at 55 and above before you rate it. Really, except for ticket avoidance in some little po-dunk town speed trap, how often do you really plan to use it below 55 mph?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
I had same problems at 45. I have not taken it up to 55+ because we have had rain here and I don’t
Want to take it on freeway, no plastic .
This cc should work smoothly at speeds 22 and up, that’s what I was told. I’ll give my opinion of the cc
itself when it’s dialed in . The op asked for an opinion on the install difficulty and that’s what I did. If anyone thinks I said Mc sucks, they should reread my response.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
I use mine a LOT riding around by the beaches in summer at 25 MPH. The local gendarmes can be a little..... strict, and the roads are pretty big, flat and open for 25 MPH and we all know how a C-14 likes to creep up in speed....  But yes, a Rostra can be made to operate smoothly or buck pretty harshly depending on how it is used. Always use the highest gear possible, which is 6th for me, even down into the 20's MPH range. It damps the engine's response a great deal.

A McCruise should work at least as well as a Rostra and really, even better. That said, I have never installed one so cannot offer anything useful in that area.

But there are a couple of guys who each bought and installed one on an FJR and a C-14, then swapped one over to a C-14 and it did not sound all that awful to do. Bob and Mark (Cap'n Bob and <I tihnk> Mcguyver) on the forums so they might chime in on this. ??

Brian

I have no experience with McCruise, but the Rostra can be made to do that (buck and jerk and lurch) easily at lower speeds. It also can be made to hold 30 in 4th gear if you get it on the money before engagement, but usually lower speeds are not a CC strong point on any vehicle, especially on manual transmissions. Give the MC Cruise a fair shake at 55 and above before you rate it. Really, except for ticket avoidance in some little po-dunk town speed trap, how often do you really plan to use it below 55 mph?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Sounds like money well spent to have it done. Not enough time or patience. I want to pick it up, and have it work flawlessly.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
Maybe my angel is to blame for my not getting the bike all together?
I had to take my ‘06 GTO and even though all reports in advance said weather would be fine, nice roads, it rained most of the time, was in 30’s, hit bit of light snow showers and for about two hours, there was maybe 1/8” of snow with crushed brick that I know even my pr4’s would say “no way!”