Author Topic: "Why Sport Touring Bikes Suck"  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
"Why Sport Touring Bikes Suck"
« on: March 27, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
Did anyone see this video from Dodge Rider on YouTube? Thought it would be a good opener for a discussion on all the gadgets and electronics. What are your thoughts on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4jHQGs5W0
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: "Why Sport Touring Bikes Suck"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Sounds to me that’s his shtick.  Why “X” bikes suck.  Aside from the fact he is entirely in love with the sound of his own voice, he really didn’t say anything that proved his point.  In fact, the Connie is one of the least gizmo sport tourers out there.  And I didn’t see the wheelie he promised, either....
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 05:39:13 PM »
Sounds to me that’s his shtick.  Why “X” bikes suck.  Aside from the fact he is entirely in love with the sound of his own voice, he really didn’t say anything that proved his point.  In fact, the Connie is one of the least gizmo sport tourers out there.  And I didn’t see the wheelie he promised, either....

I agree. ^^^

I've posted several times that the fact that the Concours has fewer electronics than most other sport tours was a selling point for me.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
At least he pronounces the name correctly.  Beyond that, he is a dork.

Wrong about the linked brakes, it is not a setting you need to mess with, the two modes are remembered across restarts.
Wrong about the windscreen- it remembers its position (if you choose) and if you don't want to adjust it, then don't.  Requires no interaction.
He is wrong about GPS- not included, has nothing do to with the bike at all.
Wrong about heated grips, you can choose to not mess with them at all or just leave them off.  Oh, and the setting is remembered.
He doesn't like ABS, because, oh, I guess he is just too cool/expert for that type of thing.  Again, nothing distracting, nothing to change or control.
Wrong about vent- no need to mess with it unless you WANT to.
OMG, he has the OPTION to adjust headlights!!  Again, why does that interfere with starting a ride?  Oh yeah- settings remembered, of course.
Wow- he doesn't want to know what the ambient temp is- THEN DON'T LOOK AT IT.

So, his conclusion- because a sport tourer has lots of nice features [that can be used or ignored], they distract from the "purity" of the "ride".  So, I guess one has to be suffering, uncomfortable, and be made inconvenient to be "really" enjoying the ride.  He can't control his own desire to make a ride nicer, so the sport-tourer sucks.  He is a "real" biker....  a "real man."

::)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 01:59:40 AM »
At least he pronounces the name correctly.  Beyond that, he is a dork.

It's not very difficult to pronounce Gee Tee Arrr correctly ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Akumu

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »
Quote from him in the comments section:

These "why x bike sucks" videos aren't meant to be taken seriously. They all have elements of truth in them, but were recorded to be sarcastic commentary.

Apparently, this is what people do for hits these days. Gotta make that 'controversial' money.

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 04:57:34 AM »
I made it about 3 minutes in before I declared it a complete waste of my time listening to him rant for the sake of trying to be entertaining. There is not an ounce of logic to his position.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
What a moron. Oh dear me, I have too many options! Maybe the dealers should only sell one bike, have them all exactly the same. Then he wouldn't have to make any decisions. No that wouldn't work because he would still have to decide to buy the one bike or not.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
Yeah, but beyond the video and the guy that made it, what are your thought on all the electronics on bikes? How much is too much? What electronics do you wish you could get a Concours with? What do you wish you could get one without?

That is the reason I posted the video. Just to get the discussion started.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
I like the power windshield, electronic ignition, electronic fuel injection, ABS is probably nice. Heated grips and cruise would be OK if it didn't bump the purchase price much. The rest is just noise.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
What a moron. Oh dear me, I have too many options! Maybe the dealers should only sell one bike, have them all exactly the same. Then he wouldn't have to make any decisions. No that wouldn't work because he would still have to decide to buy the one bike or not.
'

+1, especially the moron part.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline eng943

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »
Yeah, but beyond the video and the guy that made it, what are your thought on all the electronics on bikes? How much is too much? What electronics do you wish you could get a Concours with? What do you wish you could get one without?

Well to that end, it seems there has been plenty of discussion on the subject of what forum members would like to see on the C-14. The C-14 needs at a minimum, factory cruise control in my opinion. Doubt very highly it will happen ever though.

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »

All is good. I mostly set mine up the way I wanted it and never touched it again. In fact I want more. I want ride modes with ESA. It's why I bought a Multistrada. The only electronics on the C14 I don't like is the way it goes into PANIC mode when the fuel is low or the batteries in the TPMS are low. The flashing waring that requires pushing 2 buttons in the right sequence at the same time is very dangerous IMO. Have it come up for 5 seconds and then just have some small light or icon stay lit would be fine. Or just allow the rider to acknowledge the warning by pushing the menu button on the left handle bar once.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
All is good. I mostly set mine up the way I wanted it and never touched it again. In fact I want more. I want ride modes with ESA. It's why I bought a Multistrada. The only electronics on the C14 I don't like is the way it goes into PANIC mode when the fuel is low or the batteries in the TPMS are low. The flashing waring that requires pushing 2 buttons in the right sequence at the same time is very dangerous IMO. Have it come up for 5 seconds and then just have some small light or icon stay lit would be fine. Or just allow the rider to acknowledge the warning by pushing the menu button on the left handle bar once.

I haven’t seen those warnings yet. Guess I need to read some more of the manual.

I don’t get the rider modes tho. Why not just give full power all the time and let the rider control the power with how much throttle they give it? I don’t understand why anyone would want less power?

My Can Am ATV (1000 cc) came with 2 keys from the factory. One programmed for full power and the other for reduced power and restricted top speed. I didn’t understand the need for that either and promptly had the dealer reprogram the second key unrestricted also. If the bike has too much power for a particular rider, maybe... just maybe... they should get a smaller bike... just saying.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
Yeah, but beyond the video and the guy that made it, what are your thought on all the electronics on bikes?

I *like* all the electronics and features... as long as they are done well and reliable, they are a benefit.

How much is too much?

To me, no such thing, as long as I have my nice, large analog speedometer and tachometer.

What electronics do you wish you could get a Concours with?

Much larger screen, color, with more info displayed at once (so we don't have to flip between screens).  Customizable would be even nicer.  Would like cruise control added.  Would like the fuel indicator MPG left to continue to work all the time with automatic "miles ON reserve" and without the hyperactive "takeover" when low on fuel.  Would love auto lean-adjusting headlights or cornering lights.  Would like more/wider tail lights (back), and built-in and higher running lights and turn signals (front).  LED all around.  HUD would be neat, but would be proprietary due to helmet stuff, making it just as useless as factory coms.  More slots for different riding modes would be nice (instead of just two).

What do you wish you could get one without?

I wouldn't omit anything.  But I would NOT want GPS or communications added, because that technology changes too much and too often- the customer just gets stuck with something obsolete and impossible to update to modern standards.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
I haven’t seen those warnings yet. Guess I need to read some more of the manual.

You haven't been low on fuel yet, then??  Wow- wait and see.  Blech!  Poor design.

I don’t get the rider modes tho. Why not just give full power all the time and let the rider control the power with how much throttle they give it? I don’t understand why anyone would want less power?

Because

1) You might be riding in poor conditions and just want to be conservative beyond ABS/TC.
2) You might be learning the bike or loaning it to someone and want a "chill" mode.
3) You might want different throttle response (not necessarily "less power").
4) You might want to extend your range and have a safe but extra lean mode (what we have now with FEAM).

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
You haven't been low on fuel yet, then??  Wow- wait and see.  Blech!  Poor design.

Because

1) You might be riding in poor conditions and just want to be conservative beyond ABS/TC.
2) You might be learning the bike or loaning it to someone and want a "chill" mode.
3) You might want different throttle response (not necessarily "less power").
4) You might want to extend your range and have a safe but extra lean mode (what we have now with FEAM).

I haven’t been low on fuel yet. I been pulling in as soon as I see one bar, if not before. I don’t like letting the tank get to low.

1) I thought that was the reason for TC. If it works on that slippery blue tarp like the YouTube videos show, I don’t think I’ll ever need anything more than that! I doubt I will ever be riding in conditions remotely close to being that slick!
2) the Concours is not a bike I would recommend for learning on, or loaning it out to someone that I would be concerned about on it. There are lots of better bikes out there to learn on that don’t need a reduced power mode.
3) Why? Isn’t that what the clutch is for?
4) I haven’t used it yet, but if it works, I could see a need for that, especially when you see those signs out West that say last fuel stop for X number of miles. I’ll give you that one.  :)
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
1) I thought that was the reason for TC.

Yes and no.  There are plenty of other "power" ways you can lose control without it just being broken rear traction.

2) the Concours is not a bike I would recommend for learning on, or loaning it out to someone that I would be concerned about on it.

I agree.  But EVERYONE learns to ride a Concours on a Concours.  And if you just came up from a 400 pound 250, there is a huge difference.

3) Why? Isn’t that what the clutch is for?

No.  Throttle response is how quickly and to what degree the engine reacts to the throttle in all conditions, not just shifting.  And the C14's throttle is notoriously "snatchy"- with or without shifting.

There are several good reasons for multiple riding modes- one could also have one that emphasizes low-end power over high-end.... another I didn't put in the list.  It isn't just about limiting power, but how and when it is delivered.  There are far more USEFUL things I would like to see on the C14, but if we are just talking about things that would/could be useful, I think it is valid.  Plus, it costs essentially $0 to have, it is just programming.

Something not mentioned yet- electronically adjustable suspension.  To me that is a red herring.  Sure, I would like it, but that is one of those things that will REALLY jack up the price of the bike, far more than anything else listed so far.

I would prefer built-in USB charging ports (with option for full-time, timed, or ignition-only), built-in battery trickle charging port, built-in heated clothing connectors, built-in accessible extra wiring panel (front and rear) for extras, far better horns, real theft/tamper alarm system with remote notification.  And one neat idea I had a while ago- automatically reversing cooling fans that push heat out the front in hot weather when the bike is stopped (instead of back toward the rider) :)

Most of the other things I would want are not "electronics/electrics" related, so they wouldn't be valid here.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
I'd just like to see a KIPASS mod that sounded the horns, flashed the lights & dashboard warnings and then cut off the engine 30 seconds later if you had left your fob out of range or dropped it :)

A little bit of clever coding would mean it wouldn't trigger on a low battery warning or if the bike had been started with the backup RFCID option.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »
The low fuel warning is my greatest pet peeve.  No way to clear the “Danger Danger Will Robinson!” mode and see what your range is.  I have considered buying that low fuel warning eliminator, but, knowing myself as I do, I’d probably run out of gas!  ::)
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.