Author Topic: Stiff Steering  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Surf Concours

Stiff Steering
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »
Any reasons why steering may be “stiff”?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Stiff Steering
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Year, mileage....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
Head bearings, adjustment, or both.  Cables dragging...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
i would get the front wheel off the ground and feel how the handle bars move with no weight on the front wheel. 
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Low tire pressure.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
Steering Stiff: Are we talking about in a parking lot slow speed maneuvering as though something is rubbing or binding?....... or are we talking about at speed headed for a corner and it taking more effort than you think it should to initiate the lean and hold it through the turn?

The former could be many things, the latter is most likely the front tire air pressure or tire quality.  The stock tires (BS 021) are noted for their reluctance to do what the rider wants them to do after 1500 miles or so.

More details and information would be helpful for us to answer you in a helpful manner. Surf C', you have a 2016 model correct? Supposedly they have the updated steering stem seal and should be easier to turn than earlier models, but I've always assumed that it would only be noticeable (if at all) at very slow speeds.