Author Topic: Making the Shodabeen mountain tuning safer  (Read 5575 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Making the Shodabeen mountain tuning safer
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
If the brake lights are LEDs, then there will be no change when putting a diode in series. If they brake lights are tungsten, there will be a very slight drop in brightness but not enough to be of concern IME and IMO. A tungsten filament is a very low resistance component that changes with how hot it gets so it is compensatory to a degree (no pun intended about the changing temperature): as voltage is dropped a little bit, the filament will cool down very slightly, thereby lowering the lamps' resistance and allowing more current to flow.

Also, use a relatively large diode and the current drop (not voltage) will be less. For example, pushing one amp through a 3 amp diode will be more restrictive than the same amp flowing through a 10 amp diode. Of course, use common sense and by a relatively large diode, not a diode for a 500 amp welder.

This is one o' dem dare cases where physics is your friend. :-)

Brian

My Multistrada has CC built into the ECM. I now wonder how a module like this will effect it.
I'm assuming this is how you would use diodes to isolate the module from the brake light circuit.
Also wonder how the .7 voltage drop across the diode will effect the light.

Wire to lights -------I>i------0---------Brake Lights
                                          |
ST5 module-------I>i---------|
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Good point that I would not have considered. You may be able to delay the onset of the accelerator activated brake light with a capacitor in parallel with the brake light. I have had to do this with several vehicles when converting headlights to HID and the high beam / low beam switch cuts out the low beam momentarily, not a problem for tungsten lamps but it shuts down and re- ignites HIDs every single time the HI / LO beam switch is used.

Brian

The thing I dislike about decelerometer activated brakelights is they activate on upshifts. At least the one I have does. Mine flashes on each shift as I accelerate from a stop. I have the HUB, Heads Up Brake with the helmetmounted LED. It is designed to integrate with the brake system but I opted to just activate the helmet light. Since I also have Hyperlights installed I really don't want to have a full blown light show every time I shift.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
Yup LED's on the Duc

If the brake lights are LEDs, then there will be no change when putting a diode in series. If they brake lights are tungsten, there will be a very slight drop in brightness but not enough to be of concern IME and IMO. A tungsten filament is a very low resistance component that changes with how hot it gets so it is compensatory to a degree (no pun intended about the changing temperature): as voltage is dropped a little bit, the filament will cool down very slightly, thereby lowering the lamps' resistance and allowing more current to flow.

Also, use a relatively large diode and the current drop (not voltage) will be less. For example, pushing one amp through a 3 amp diode will be more restrictive than the same amp flowing through a 10 amp diode. Of course, use common sense and by a relatively large diode, not a diode for a 500 amp welder.

This is one o' dem dare cases where physics is your friend. :-)

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 03:12:20 PM »
There are also products such as the Vololights  https://www.amazon.com/Vololights-Motorcycle-Downshifting-Installation-Waterproof/dp/B00MEQ25X8  and GearBrake https://www.amazon.com/GearBrake-GB-1-Smart-Brake-Module/dp/B00ODR69QK

[This is a good thread, although the "subject" line isn't great/relevant.  Thus, it will be harder to find, later...]

I have the volo lights but aren't sure if they really work because they are behind me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
I have the volo lights but aren't sure if they really work because they are behind me.

You need to have someone watch your ass....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
I do not know if he is volunteering or what but I feel obligated to stick in an 'Easy Jim' here.....

:-)

Brian

You need to have someone watch your ass....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 07:00:59 PM »
I do not know if he is volunteering or what but I feel obligated to stick in an 'Easy Jim' here.....

:-)

Brian

That whole post just sounds wrong.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »
Adding an extra brake light is an option. I have a Shad 50 tail bag and I could buy the optional
Shad brake light for it. But , it doesn’t look like it puts out much light.
I’ll try some things discussed this weekend if possible, but I live only 5 miles away from the annual Best of the West Rib fest that starts tomorrow and historically, I spend most of Labor Day there, pickling my liver with lots of beer and eating prodigious amounts of some of the finest smoked meats in the USA.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 07:25:16 PM »
Then there is already circuitry in the brake light that drops the voltage from a nominal 12 volt (which is really between 11 and 15 volts) to the correct amount for the LEDs, somewhere in the 3 volt range. So the diode voltage drop will not have any impact on LED brake light brightness. One of the very nice pluses for both LED and HID lighting- the internal circuitry is already there to convert the vehicles' 'wrong' voltage into a useful voltage for the device. HIDs hold their brightness at 100% until the input voltage falls to something like 9 volts, at which point the ballasts just shut down but the actual lamp (burner) never changes in light output. Same relative situation for LEDs in brake or even headlights.

Brian

Yup LED's on the Duc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
Do the VOLO lights clear the plate light on our bikes?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
Do the VOLO lights clear the plate light on our bikes?

That is a good question.  I have not seen any post of someone having one yet on a C14.  Based on looking at the photos, I would say "yes" it will clear, with pretty good certainty.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 05:01:05 PM »
I installed a Supa Brake by Vizi Tec on my Multistrada. It is a flasher and not acelerometer controlled but it is very  interactive and programmable and is plug and play. By interactive I mean that it alters its flashing behavior based on your brake use. I have not had an opportunity to ride with someone behind me to verify that it functions as claimed but if it does I think its a great product.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake3/
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
I haven't been cited for obscuring the license plate yet..

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 05:45:08 AM »

Silly me, I thought you had it on the Indian, not the fast one!  Anyway, that certainly confirms it fits!  Do you think there is any risk of being cited?  I don't...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:44 AM »
No risk.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »

Don't forget the wrench.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »
I just saw that as well...LOL.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »
Don't forget the wrench.

Kind of a where's waldo thing. Took a bit for me to find it.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
Thanks Jim. Think I will give it a go.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
I wanted to follow-up this post with my experience with the S2T brake module.  I bought this directly from the manufacturer and had to wait almost a month for it to arrive, since they are overseas.  I should’ve just gone with Amazon and paid a little extra for it.  I did a brake light / tail light conversion on my ‘09 about a year ago ( http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22821.0 ) and chronicled the install, so I was a little concerned how it would work with in conjunction with this module.  After worrying about how I had everything wired up, I realized that all I needed to do was install it just like the S2T instructions say.  (I am NOT the wiring/electronics wizard that B.D.F. is!)

Install was simple and straight forward.  Took it out for a night ride and it works as it says.  No flicker between shifts.  If I am careful and gradually slow, it doesn’t come on.  If I simply release the throttle, I takes about one second, maybe a little less, to activate.  Essentially, anytime I back off the throttle, it comes on.

All in all, I’d say it was worth the money.   :thumbs:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.