Author Topic: Web hosting and Intel servers  (Read 1518 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Web hosting and Intel servers
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:17:34 AM »
Anyone got any experience in that?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Web hosting and Intel servers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
I manage two web servers with Godaddy, I don't know what brand they use.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »
Anyone got any experience in that?

Not a lot of info in the question.  Yes, I have lots of past experience.  Throw Linux, like CentOS on a machine, and start up either Apache if you want a huge, complex, 1000-in-1 server, or Lighttpd if you want something simple and easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighttpd
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
Not a lot of info in the question. 

By design...thanks guys.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »
Most servers are Intel based. Not all though.

Most web applications, like this forum, will run on a Winders or a U*ix box. The server operating system is somewhat irrelevant.

Most modern hosting providers like GostMonster or HoDaddy will offer Winders or U*ix platforms. The U*ix one is often cheaper. Unless you have your own "Pizza Box" type server/appliance in your basement. Then the O.S. is up to you, or the person(s) that set up the server.

If the latter, you'll need a static IP, and the internet connection should be reasonably dependable (up time), reasonably secure from the script kiddies, and the server protected from fire/theft/flood/etc.

Then there's the matter of DNS, most all think DNS is voo-doo magic. In a nutshell, DNS converts names (zggtr.org) into numbers (127.128.129.130 which is also called IP4 or dotted quad, unless talking about IP-v6... then it's voo-doo magic ;) ), and numbers are painfully easy to route/direct to the millions of servers around the world... like the server in your basement. You can think of DNS as the Yellow Pages. "Where to I go to find...?"

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »
For 8 - 10 years we had a dedicated Windows machine running Apache and hosting our small firm's website. Then one day some SOB hacked it. We put the site backed up, he hacked it again. Then a 3rd time. We gave up and went to hodaddy. We're not pro IT guys, so it was more efficient to throw in the towel. Mother $#%&ing hackers. Nothing better to do in life than #$%^ people over. Pardon my special character language.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:36 PM »
Then one day some SOB hacked it. We put the site backed up, he hacked it again. Then a 3rd time. We gave up and went to hodaddy. We're not pro IT guys, so it was more efficient to throw in the towel. Mother $#%&ing hackers. Nothing better to do in life than #$%^ people over. Pardon my special character language.

No, you are exactly right.  Can't have anything nice anymore without scum trying to destroy it.  Almost anything facing the Internet is vulnerable and requires very careful consideration and constant updating and tweaking.  In reaction, more and more power of the Internet is being concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer companies...  creating even more problems with destroying standards and competition, and leading to less privacy and more government invasion.

Other examples- at least half of all Email flowing across the Internet is spam.  That's 15+ billion messages every day and costs the economy $20+ billion every year to try and keep it in check.  And all those fighting methods have made it nearly impossible for people to host their own Email, which is how we end up with Google controlling so much of Email (and thus the never-ending spying potential).

Millions and millions of f'ing telemarketing calls annoying us every day.  Its why 1/4 of all the faxes we get at work are spam.  Thousands of times a day I have bots trying to break into my ssh port at home.

If would could harness all that "evil" trying to tear things down into something actually productive, the world would be a much better place.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 03:25:05 AM »
For 8 - 10 years we had a dedicated Windows machine running Apache and hosting our small firm's website. Then one day some SOB hacked it. We put the site backed up, he hacked it again. Then a 3rd time. We gave up and went to hodaddy. We're not pro IT guys, so it was more efficient to throw in the towel. Mother $#%&ing hackers. Nothing better to do in life than #$%^ people over. Pardon my special character language.

Hodaddy? 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 05:36:16 AM »

Hodaddy?

There are a zillion hosting companies that provide turn-key web hosting.  He is, of course, referring to Godaddy :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:23:23 AM »
kinda thought so but amusing nevertheless. :rotflmao: