Author Topic: Lowering the bike/seat  (Read 59895 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Lowering the bike/seat
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Word(s) of caution.  I bought the 08 slightly used.  It had been lowered using the Muzzy brackets as well as having the forks pushed up about an inch or so....
If you do this....your oil drain plug will take a beating (driveways and speed bumps, etc).  Your toes/foot pegs will be close to the ground in turns/curves.

Hmm, I have been pretty diligent about reading the forums for many months now- yours is the first time I have seen anyone complain about the drain plug hitting due to reasonable lowering (1").  Is there a difference in the oil plug design location between the old C14 and new C14?  (I seem to remember reading that).  I have 1,000 miles now, and have not had a single issue on my lowered 2011.

I cover my bike at work, and while on the kickstand, she blew over onto the right side.  Unless you shorten your kickstand, the bike will sit VERY upright on the kickstand. The cover acted like a parachute and pulled it right over.    >:(

+1.  You absolutely need to shorten the stand if you lower the bike an inch... period!  It is not safe otherwise (as you, unfortunately, discovered)

I've returned the bike to stock height- very happy with it.

Some of us (with short legs) simply don't have that option.  But I am glad it worked out for you at stock.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 05:05:03 AM »
Hmm, I have been pretty diligent about reading the forums for many months now- yours is the first time I have seen anyone complain about the drain plug hitting due to reasonable lowering (1").  Is there a difference in the oil plug design location between the old C14 and new C14?  (I seem to remember reading that).  I have 1,000 miles now, and have not had a single issue on my lowered 2011.

Yes, the '08's/'09's have the oil drain plug located on the bottom of the pan, with a half assed 'shield' in place to protect it. The later models have the plug on the front of the pan.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 05:12:40 AM »
Lowering the bike has all sorts of hidden unintended consequences....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »
Lowering the bike has all sorts of hidden unintended consequences....

Agreed.  Such as: lowering clearance, changing the handling, making the center stand difficult, forcing replacement of the kickstand, and reducing suspension travel.

But not lowering it has various ones too.  Like: dropping the bike in a parking lot, not being able to back it out of a parking space, not being able to prevent a slow tight turn fallover, being very uncomfortable at every stop, tip overs at stops, having difficultly getting on, etc.

I would NOT recommend lowering unless lowering the seat and wearing taller boots is still not enough.  And that was exactly my situation.  No other bike in the C14 class/type is much lower, so the occasional comments about "the Concours is not for everyone" are also insulting and invalid (not claiming you did this, just a preemptive declaration) and I will have no bike before having a slow, loud, poor handling,low-tech "cruiser".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
^^^Yamaha V-Max.

I did notice that the BMW K16 is a lot lower than most - I can nearly flatfoot it, and I am on my tiptoes with the Concours (30" inseam).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
^^^Yamaha V-Max.

I did notice that the BMW K16 is a lot lower than most - I can nearly flatfoot it, and I am on my tiptoes with the Concours (30" inseam).

I looked at the V-Max.  It was somewhat interesting, yet lower-tech.  But *naked* = 4 months riding season MAX (that is the "Max" part of the "V-Max").  Not at all in the same class.

BMW K16 is great, but COMPLETELY unaffordable.  And it is not lower, it is 31" high with the LOW seat, and weighs considerably more than the C14.  The C14 with the Kawasaki (or aftermarket) low seat is 31".

And my inseam is < 27".... try THAT!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
I am short 5'7" now and have to get use to it.   I can't Flat Foot the 1400 and won't ride one I can't FF.   How do you get a 1400 Concours down to my level?  I see that the standard seat height is 31.5"

How low can it go?  I would need at least 2"

First, understand that your height has nothing to do with how your feet will or won't touch the ground.  Anatomical inseam is what is important- leg length.  You can be 5'7" and have long legs and a short torso and reach fine.  Or, you can be like me and have a long torso and short legs- when I sit, you am the same as a typical 5"11" person, but when I stand, I am suddenly only 5'7".

I assume you have read this thread now, so you can see that there are only three things you can do:  lower the seat, lower the bike, and raise your boots.  Each one has pluses and minuses.  And those are covered in this thread.

With the lowest seats and the safest/reasonable bike lowering links, you can gain about 1.9".  It might be possible to gain a bit more, but not much.  The rest you will have to make up for with taller boots.  Please feel free to ask any additional questions!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
I like that.....responding to another post in a different thread.  Makes things interesting.

I would be real concerned if it was an 08 or 09 due to the oil plug and guard.  There's a reason they relocated it to the front of the pan.  If it's a 10 on up then no worries there.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
I like that.....responding to another post in a different thread.  Makes things interesting.

Yeah, I was being creative.  You know how I hate duplicate threads.  And I really, really hate that the board throws out warnings about posting to old threads- all that does is ENCOURAGE duplicate threads.   I wonder if that can be turned off???

I would be real concerned if it was an 08 or 09 due to the oil plug and guard.  There's a reason they relocated it to the front of the pan.  If it's a 10 on up then no worries there.

Yeah, although that info is in the thread, if anyone reads it.   As you know, I lowered my gen2 what I would consider the safe maximum- 1".  Have been riding it that way for over a year now without a single issue.  And I HAVE been over speed bumps and really rough roads too.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Yeah, I was being creative.  You know how I hate duplicate threads.  And I really, really hate that the board throws out warnings about posting to old threads- all that does is ENCOURAGE duplicate threads.   I wonder if that can be turned off???

Dunno, but I'll check.

Found it, but I need to check with Rick on changing it.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
I have a 34" inseam and never realized how much hell some guys go through just to ride this bike. I hope it worked out for you.
Maybe the stock windscreen it tall enough for you, it is useless for me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
I have a 34" inseam and never realized how much hell some guys go through just to ride this bike.

Yep.  It is a challenge.  And a shame that the bike is not more accommodating, stock.

I hope it worked out for you.

Mostly.  Sometimes I wonder if it is a mistake.  But at least I can make due.  I am stuck with her now :)

Maybe the stock windscreen it tall enough for you, it is useless for me.

Remember, standing height nor inseam measurements, alone, tell all that much about torso height.  When I sit, I am typically as tall as someone almost 6 feet tall.  I find that the stock screen is barely tall enough (and not quite wide enough) for winter (and yet for summer, it is not low enough).  Some day I will probably get a bigger one for winter and a smaller one for summer and swap them out during the year.  For now, I have been too lazy and there are too many choices- all of them being a guess.  Of course, that is a topic for one of the many other existing windshield threads...

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
I also have an FJR that is smaller and lower to the ground and this is why some people choose the FJR over the C14.
I personally like the C14 better but they are both very good bikes....

Btw; The ZX14 seat is lower than the C14 seat, I never measured it but I can tell it is, plus it's not as wide at the front so reaching the ground should be easier for those with shorter legs...

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
I also have an FJR that is smaller and lower to the ground and this is why some people choose the FJR over the C14.
I personally like the C14 better but they are both very good bikes....

Btw; The ZX14 seat is lower than the C14 seat, I never measured it but I can tell it is, plus it's not as wide at the front so reaching the ground should be easier for those with shorter legs...

I am, ahem, MotoGP sized... .

When I was cross shopping, something about the FJR did not fit me right--and it didn't really feel any smaller or lower for some reason.

I too was strongly looking at buying a new ZX14, but I think once the novelty wore off, I would have been wishing for the features/comfort of the C14.

I will say one thing, after spending time on the C14 and then hoping onto my Z1000, it feels like a bicycle in comparison.
My Kawasakis:
2012 Concours
2003 Z1000
1970 G4TR 100 Trail Boss

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
So now that the weather's been nice for awhile I've been taking mama for more and more rides lately, FWIW this bike has always been a little too tall for me but it's not really an issue when solo and I manage through it. But with the added weight of mama on the back it sure does get harry some times when I get caught on sloped/cambered pavement at a stop sign/light or traffic etc, I've had a couple times in the past month where I literally could only get one foot down due to sloped pavement and pretty much hold up 1k lbs (me, mama, and Connie) with not much more than one big toe...  :o

I came across this kit that allows you to lower/raise the bike without having to rip everything back apart, the lowering links are adjustable and so is the side stand... I'm intrigued about giving it a try.  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181030186206?item=181030186206&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Anyone using this kit or have any feedback about the shop?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
I came across this kit that allows you to lower/raise the bike without having to rip everything back apart, the lowering links are adjustable and so is the side stand... I'm intrigued about giving it a try.  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181030186206?item=181030186206&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Hmm, that is interesting.  Please note that like all the ADJUSTABLE lowering links, it will require persistent removal of the center stand, and that is something I didn't want to do (which is why I went with a fixed one).  I would also put out a rather firm warning that lowering more than an inch is probably entering a danger zone.  So if you are looking for a way to just from 0 to 1ish inch, adjustable links might make sense... otherwise, it is advantageous to get get the fixed 1inch ones and keep the center stand.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Hmm, that is interesting.  Please note that like all the ADJUSTABLE lowering links, it will require persistent removal of the center stand, and that is something I didn't want to do (which is why I went with a fixed one). 

Why would you need to remove the center stand? Looks like an open end wrench adjusts it while it's still on the bike right?  ??? :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
Why would you need to remove the center stand? Looks like an open end wrench adjusts it while it's still on the bike right?  ??? :-\ 

Because the stand interferes with the bolt heads (or something like that, if my memory from two years ago is accurate).   You can still adjust the height without removing the adjustable links, but they can't exist with a center stand.  Sorry.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
Because the stand interferes with the bolt heads (or something like that, if my memory from two years ago is accurate).   You can still adjust the height without removing the adjustable links, but they can't exist with a center stand.  Sorry.

With the one I posted the link to it looks like you adjust it in the middle of the link though right? Or am I missing something?  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
With the one I posted the link to it looks like you adjust it in the middle of the link though right? Or am I missing something?  :-\

You are missing the part where he clearly states:

"NOTE: As with all other [adjustable] lowering links for the Concours, the center-stand will no longer function and should be removed during installation."