Author Topic: STS turn signal cancellation unit  (Read 4830 times)

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
STS turn signal cancellation unit
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
For the eight years I have been riding my '08 C14 I have used a Kriss turn signal cancellation unit.  It's cost is $129 but not really worth it as it only does a half-assed job.  After either signal blinks 15 time, the signal ceases.  If while it is blinking you activate the brakes the signal will continue to blink and reset itself to 15 blinks before cancellation.  The trouble is the signal is merely cancelled by the unit while the turn signal switch remains in either left or right position.  After every turn signal use you must manually reset the switch.  Not much of a product but it has had no competition until recently. 

http://www.kriss.com/tscancel.php

The new kid on the block is a real winner.  It's an electronic unit that is the result of efforts expended by four Slovenian motorcycle enthusiasts with a knowledge of modern electronics.  They have created a wonderful product that actually turns the signals off after completion of a turn and even a lane change on the freeway.  No counting blinks.  This unit has sensors that somehow know when to turn the blinkers off, left or right turns and freeway lane changes.  It is perfect and far surpasses any motorcycle turn signal cancellation unit, stock or aftermarket.  I suggest you peruse the following link to read about it and to see a video.  The price is €149.00 or $168 at the current exchange rate.  I rate it equal to the claims by both the manufacturer and by users of the product.  All of which are accurate but can be seen as raves.  The item is deserving of raves.  I endorse it wholeheartedly and consider it well worth the money.

https://www.safer-turn.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMeBoG3crpG3I1jIbYandSUvPYrKDyCVfP-JJiQsds1l_XE49J_F4SBoCUlMQAvD_BwE
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: STS turn signal cancellation unit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
Thank you, Bud.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
It looks like it is using a combination of sensors which are now cheap and in most cell phones.  They are using an accelerometer, a lean angle sensor, and probably a magnetometer.   They defeat the holding action of the switch with foam inserts to convert the switch into a momentary one.  I so rarely forget to cancel a turn signal, nor find it a hassle, it doesn't interest me, but it is a cool mod for someone that does.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
It looks like it is using a combination of sensors which are now cheap and in most cell phones.  They are using an accelerometer, a lean angle sensor, and probably a magnetometer.   They defeat the holding action of the switch with foam inserts to convert the switch into a momentary one.  I so rarely forget to cancel a turn signal, nor find it a hassle, it doesn't interest me, but it is a cool mod for someone that does.

Likewise. Being a creature of habit, I just automatically hit the switch to cancel the signal. For me, this kind of farkle isn't worth it, but bully to those who believe it is.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:55:46 AM »
I took a quick look at the website but frankly, could not cut through 'slick interface' to get to any facts. ?? So I will ask you.  ;)

Do they replace parts in the turn signal switch so that it returns to neutral automatically? And if so, how well does that part work?

Brian

For the eight years I have been riding my '08 C14 I have used a Kriss turn signal cancellation unit.  It's cost is $129 but not really worth it as it only does a half-assed job.  After either signal blinks 15 time, the signal ceases.  If while it is blinking you activate the brakes the signal will continue to blink and reset itself to 15 blinks before cancellation.  The trouble is the signal is merely cancelled by the unit while the turn signal switch remains in either left or right position.  After every turn signal use you must manually reset the switch.  Not much of a product but it has had no competition until recently. 

http://www.kriss.com/tscancel.php

The new kid on the block is a real winner.  It's an electronic unit that is the result of efforts expended by four Slovenian motorcycle enthusiasts with a knowledge of modern electronics.  They have created a wonderful product that actually turns the signals off after completion of a turn and even a lane change on the freeway.  No counting blinks.  This unit has sensors that somehow know when to turn the blinkers off, left or right turns and freeway lane changes.  It is perfect and far surpasses any motorcycle turn signal cancellation unit, stock or aftermarket.  I suggest you peruse the following link to read about it and to see a video.  The price is €149.00 or $168 at the current exchange rate.  I rate it equal to the claims by both the manufacturer and by users of the product.  All of which are accurate but can be seen as raves.  The item is deserving of raves.  I endorse it wholeheartedly and consider it well worth the money.

https://www.safer-turn.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMeBoG3crpG3I1jIbYandSUvPYrKDyCVfP-JJiQsds1l_XE49J_F4SBoCUlMQAvD_BwE
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »
I took a quick look at the website but frankly, could not cut through 'slick interface' to get to any facts. ??

The web site SUCKS.  I *hate* these new websites with marketing crap and useless huge emotional photos and videos.

So I will ask you.  ;)

Do they replace parts in the turn signal switch so that it returns to neutral automatically?

It is apparent you either didn't see or read my post, since I already answered at least that question....

They defeat the holding action of the switch with foam inserts to convert the switch into a momentary one.

:P

It does look a little "iffy" to me, also curious as to if it works out well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
I already have factory fitted self cancelling indicators.

They're called "hand signals" and they cancel when I put my hand back on the grips ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:57 AM »
I've got self canceling signals on my Indian.  They work quite well.  Much better than the ones I had on my Voyager XII.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
Looks like this STS system uses an IMU (inertial measurement unit) with some algorithms to detect the maneuver. More and more bikes are getting IMU's for things like cornering ABS, traction control and cornering lighting. My Ducati MS has an IMU and the new FJR does as well. This seems like it would be a low cost add to any bike that already has one. Just software. And the MEMS chips needed for an IMU are dirt cheap now. Literally pennies. What a great idea.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
I already have factory fitted self cancelling indicators.

They're called "hand signals" and they cancel when I put my hand back on the grips ;)

I like it! But I have to ask how many cagers have no idea what your are doing? Especially indicating a right turn...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Yes, simple enough to do once the hardware is corrected; the turn signal switch needs to be a momentary contact but after that, it is all sensors and code. Three axis accelerators are cheap and very effective, and MCU's are all over the place for, as you mentioned, pennies. The code starts off looking like it will be pricey but as always it becomes cheap if it can be spread out across a lot of units, and a turn signal system is something that would work on any motorcycle, regardless of model, brand or anything else.

And using accelerometers it becomes easy to get a handle on all parameters of the bikes' behavior such as sitting at a light: no accel / decel, no speed and the turn signal can stay on for as long as needed, waiting for the rotation (the turn) combined with acceleration. It becomes very easy to map exactly what behavior to look for and when to cancel the signal.

As a no- cost extra, a sudden, near- ninety degree rotation about the yaw axis followed by a sharp decel to [no speed] and this controller could snap on all four signal lights as an emergency flasher.... 'cause the bike just fell over.    :o ;D  Sort of the thinking man's tip over sensor..... well, not really a thinking man perhaps, maybe more like the almost- sober man.  :yikes:  "Honest officer, it was a sudden gust of gravity, I swear!".

Brian

Looks like this STS system uses an IMU (inertial measurement unit) with some algorithms to detect the maneuver. More and more bikes are getting IMU's for things like cornering ABS, traction control and cornering lighting. My Ducati MS has an IMU and the new FJR does as well. This seems like it would be a low cost add to any bike that already has one. Just software. And the MEMS chips needed for an IMU are dirt cheap now. Literally pennies. What a great idea.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »
Yes, simple enough to do once the hardware is corrected; the turn signal switch needs to be a momentary contact but after that, it is all sensors and code. Three axis accelerators are cheap and very effective, and MCU's are all over the place for, as you mentioned, pennies. The code starts off looking like it will be pricey but as always it becomes cheap if it can be spread out across a lot of units, and a turn signal system is something that would work on any motorcycle, regardless of model, brand or anything else.

And using accelerometers it becomes easy to get a handle on all parameters of the bikes' behavior such as sitting at a light: no accel / decel, no speed and the turn signal can stay on for as long as needed, waiting for the rotation (the turn) combined with acceleration. It becomes very easy to map exactly what behavior to look for and when to cancel the signal.

As a no- cost extra, a sudden, near- ninety degree rotation about the yaw axis followed by a sharp decel to [no speed] and this controller could snap on all four signal lights as an emergency flasher.... 'cause the bike just fell over.    :o ;D  Sort of the thinking man's tip over sensor..... well, not really a thinking man perhaps, maybe more like the almost- sober man.  :yikes:  "Honest officer, it was a sudden gust of gravity, I swear!".

Brian

Hey! That's possible! Didn't Einstein or someone else VERY smart theorize about gravitational waves?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »
Theorize nothin', we FOUND them. Not long ago, maybe 6 mos. to a year?  Memory is foggy on this one but a probe actually found ripples of gravity. So yeah, that could be a valid argument for Jim if he drops that thing with the floorboards. The broken beer bottle may weigh in on the other side of the coin though.... It is all a wonderful collage.

Brian

Hey! That's possible! Didn't Einstein or someone else VERY smart theorize about gravitational waves?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »
If that Indian falls down, the gravity waves will ripple throughout the known universe.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
I guess we can call these 'Suicide Signals" since they are designed to kill themselves.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
If that Indian falls down, the gravity waves will ripple throughout the known universe.

:rotflmao: I don't know why but this just struck my funny bone!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
Nah, I meant what you might tell that kindly LEO looking down at you.  ;) ;D

And of course, for the studio audience: I am kidding Jim a bit here. Not wishing him to have any type of mishap, motorcycle or otherwise. Sometimes these things do not quite make the printed page but I think we have known each other, from this forum and other correspondence, for what, 10 years now? Anyway, all in good humor and jest, no malice whatsoever... but Jim already knew that, I am sure.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 07:51:58 AM »
 ;D

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
Almost totally off topic but... my 2017 Ducati Multistrada 950 does not have self cancelling turn signals but is has just about every other electronic ride control and data gizmo. One of the controls for the 473 item multi function menu is the turn signal cancel button. If you press it with a turn signal active it just cancels the signal. If you press it with no turn signal active it activates the RIDE MODE MENU. On the 155 mile ride home from the Ducati dealer (in downtown N'Awlins) I discovered that I have developed a habit of cancelling turn signals after ever intersection, whether I turned or not. It is a habit that makes  self cancelling turn signals unnecessary but I am now having to break the habit.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:23 PM »
I do that on the Conc.  It's just a habit I picked up in the early years.  I'll press the button going down a straight road.  I even do it on the Indian and it self cancels.