Author Topic: Radiator heat  (Read 785 times)

Offline BrennoA

Radiator heat
« on: March 16, 2020, 03:47:37 AM »
Hello all. Have a 2003 gtr 1000 brought recently. The fan switch only come on when you short it out ,the fuse and temp sender are fine. The temp gauge never goes above quarter regardless of kilometres travelled. Basically my dilemma is there something not working or I have a excellent cooling system . (Average temperature is around 28c outside)Perhaps ride it in hotter weather with stop/ start might the fan activate?
Thanks Brenno😁

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Radiator heat
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »
Something is likely wrong.

Do you ride in traffic or just long hwys. Try city traffic. It should heat up in stop and go traffic and fan should come on within 20 minutes.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Radiator heat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:07:05 AM »
If it never goes above quarter, have you checked that the system is full with coolant?
The temp sensor is in the Thermostat housing which one of the highest points of the cooling system.
If there is not enough coolant it will show abnormally low temperatures.
Check by removing the filler cap to the right of the fuel tank when engine is cold and fill until it nearly overflows.
You also need to squeeze all the hoses to make sure any air is burped out of the system.
Finally, open the bleed bolt at the top of the coolant pump (left side next to the clutch slave) until coolant gushes out, and the same for the bleed nipple on the Thermostat housing.

Also check that the coolant bottle is correctly filled (between Min & Max).

Most GTRs I have seen run to a little over 2/3rds on the gauge before the fan comes on.
The fan pushes the temp down to about 1/2 before it switches off.
Normal operating temp is around 1/2 way.
If it hits the red on the gauge and the fan does not run, then you need a new fan switch.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK