Author Topic: *!@#$ - Murph's front tip over bar install went wrong  (Read 4317 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

*!@#$ - Murph's front tip over bar install went wrong
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
I was in the process of installing Murph's front tip-over bars today, which I've had laying around since January.

As I was tightening the bottom left mounting bracket (the bolt goes into the radiator mounting bracket), with the torque wrench set at 35 ft-lbs (Murph's instructions say 30-40), of course, the aluminum engine block threads got stripped.

I am now unable to screw anything into that hole now, even the original bolt.  The thread in the engine block is hosed.

Is there anything that can be done now?  How does one go about rethreading a stripped hole in an aluminum engine block, if this is even possible?  Is it possible to do something without having to rethread?

God I hate wrenching.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:15:31 AM by T Cro ® »

Offline m hanlen

Re: *!@#$ - Murph's front tip over bar install went wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
I'm not familiar with the kit but the torque sounds right. Not to put blame on anything but a heli coil kit from your local auto parts will fix it in about 10 minutes. The last time I bought a kit, they were about $30. You might want someone who's done it before to show you how or do it for you. Good luck.

Helicoil - How to Install a Helicoil Screw Thread Insert, HeliCoil ...
www.helicoil.com.sg/HeliCoil-Installation-Instructions.htm
Full instructions on how to install an Helicoil screw thread insert, complete with step by step instructions and pictures, including how to use the Emhart ...

How to Repair Threads With A Heli-Coil Insert - YouTube   
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_EMay 14, 2008 - 6 min - Uploaded by ttcautotech
Demonstrates how to repair damaged threads with a Heli-Coil brand ... Download it from Adobe. ... What is stronger, the Helicoil or Time ...
More videos for how to install a helicoil »

Heli-Coil | HeliCoil Inserts | Helicoils Screw Thread Inserts | Helicoils ...
www.emhart.com › Brands
With Heli-Coil threads, tapped holes are strengthened and thread life is dramatically increased even after repeated assembly and disassembly. Heli-Coil offers a ...

How to properly install a Helicoil or Powercoil - Raptor Forums ...
www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41195
10 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Feb 19, 2009
How to properly install a Helicoil or Powercoil Archived Threads/Product Reviews/How-to.

Offline syntor

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
I was in the process of installing Murph's front tip-over bars today, which I've had laying around since January.

As I was tightening the bottom left mounting bracket (the bolt goes into the radiator mounting bracket), with the torque wrench set at 35 ft-lbs (Murph's instructions say 30-40), of course, the aluminum engine block threads got stripped.

I am now unable to screw anything into that hole now, even the original bolt.  The thread in the engine block is .

Is there anything that can be done now?  How does one go about rethreading a stripped hole in an aluminum engine block, if this is even possible?  Is it possible to do something without having to rethread?

God I hate wrenching.

The bottom left mounting bracket for Murphs front tip over bars does not go in a threaded hole. There is no thread in the hole to strip and never was.   ???

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:16:31 AM by T Cro ® »

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:29:09 AM »
the engine block isn't threaded, but that's the bottom radiator mount that did strip. it's basically an extension from the radiator with a mounting hole in it. If you can get up in there with a nut you'll be able to tighten up the mount and all will be well. steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Sorry to hear of your plight!   :'(

What was the scale or range of the torque wrench that you were using? Using too large a wrench at too low a setting is a recipe for disaster; you should never use a torque wrench below 1/4 of scale and preferable from 1/2 of scale on up to 100 percent.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »
Sorry to hear of your plight!   :'(

What was the scale or range of the torque wrench that you were using? Using too large a wrench at too low a setting is a recipe for disaster; you should never use a torque wrench below 1/4 of scale and preferable from 1/2 of scale on up to 100 percent.

35 ft-lbs is right about in the middle of the scale for this wrench, as far as I can remember at the moment.  However, I've already stripped more than one thread using this wrench.  I think it may be inaccurate.  It's been laying around on the shelf in the garage for as long as I can remember, I think my dad bought it from an Auto Zone-type store many many years ago.  But new torque wrenches are expensive!  :o

Anyway, it looks less bad than I thought it was at first.  If I can find a longer bolt at Home Depot, I'll just use a nut on the other end to sandwich it.  I didn't realize the hole was open at the other end at first.

Offline Murphyau

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »

I've already stripped more than one thread using this wrench.  I think it may be inaccurate.  It's been laying around on the shelf in the garage for as long as I can remember.  But new torque wrenches are expensive!

There are a number of good videos on YouTube on how to check the accuracy of a torque wrench.  They will help you decide if your wrench is way out of spec or not. 

I did a search on "calibrate torque wrench", watch a couple of videos, got the general idea on how to test the wrench, and then was able to confirm that my "el cheapo" wrench was accurate enough for most work I do.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
If the torque wrench is really that old and/or off, either get it recalibrated or throw it out. It is utterly useless, and a detriment to your work, as it is. Just use goot n tight for bigger bolts, snug for smaller ones. Be careful into aluminum, though.  Figure 30 foot lbs is about equal to having a 12" ratchet that you exert 30 lbs of pulling/pushing force toward the end of it, a 6" wrench would need 60lbs of force.

Obviously in critical situations, i.e. inside the engine, get an accurate torque wrench. There really is no substitute for precision work.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
I've already stripped more than one thread using this wrench.  I think it may be inaccurate.  It's been laying around on the shelf in the garage for as long as I can remember, I think my dad bought it from an Auto Zone-type store many many years ago.  But new torque wrenches are expensive!  :o

Expensive compared to what? Stripped valve adjusters, spark plug holes, threaded motor bosses etc!

From what I've heard (read) that Horror Freight Torque Wrenches are reasonably accurate and they are quite inexpensive.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »
From what I've heard (read) that Horror Freight Torque Wrenches are reasonably accurate and they are quite inexpensive.....

Watch for the coupons.  Their 1/2" and 3/8" drive torque wrenches show up often for $9.99.  Their 1/4" one does, too, but less often.  (I'm still waiting for the next good coupon for the 1/4" wrench!)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157