Author Topic: $300 gasket set!  (Read 2016 times)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
$300 gasket set!
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »
Well, I wont be swaping heads on my connie, just to expensive to go into one of these motors. looks like I will just stab the cams and matching rockers in, and clear silicone the vc gasket.

Charlie
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: $300 gasket set!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
The valve cover gasket is reuseable for years if cared for well.  A new one can be got from Murph pretty inexpensively.  When I put my valve cover gasket (and well gaskets) back on I use Yamabond to stick it to the cover and a little black RTV on the four tabs.  Be sparing with the RTV, chunks can come loose and clog oil passages.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Leo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
Kawaski is really proud of their gaskets/seals.   I needed to drop an oil pan and decided to change all the rubber rings down there "as long as I was there".  I sent a friend to the dealer to pick up everything I had listed from the manual.  I was very surprised to see over $100 on the receipt.  Other than ordering from  Murph's,  Ron Ayres or Bike Bandit, I really have not found a way to save much money.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
head gaskets are re-useable. for the most part it's not nessessary to re-gasket these engines the way we would on an old chevy engine. Steve

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
head gaskets are re-useable. for the most part it's not nessessary to re-gasket these engines the way we would on an old chevy engine. Steve

Steve is correct. A can of Copper Coat spray will do wonders on used gaskets. I have resealed many a head gasket in this manner.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude