Author Topic: caliper cleaning  (Read 13143 times)

Offline gonzosc1

caliper cleaning
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
how often do you clean the calipers, talking about pistons and boots.
do you use brake cleaner spray?

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: caliper cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »
When I replace the pads, yes I use brake cleaner.  I spray inside and outside the brake caliper and use a toothbrush to clean the pistons off without removing them from the caliper.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Whenever the pads need to be replaced. I never push the pistons back into the caliper and install new pads- I take the calipers off the bike, take the pistons out and clean both the calipers and pistons. Pushing the pistons back into the caliper also pushes a line of crud that has built up on the pistons back past the seals and is a major source of failed piston seals in my opinion. Motorcycle brakes seem to be much more delicate than auto brakes, at least regarding the seals and dust boots, so cleaning the piston thoroughly seems to be more important than it is on auto brakes.

Brake cleaner is fine for cleaning any / all brake parts. Just use a small amount of brake fluid or bettery yet caliper grease when installing anything into a seal, such as a piston, to lubricate it.

Brian

how often do you clean the calipers, talking about pistons and boots.
do you use brake cleaner spray?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
> 32,000 miles and I've never cleaned mine, but KiPass is on top of things
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
ok thanks, I was just wondering if I should have done it when I changed the tires 2 weeks ago.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »
Whenever the pads need to be replaced. I never push the pistons back into the caliper and install new pads- I take the calipers off the bike...
Brian

How do you keep the brake fluid in the lines?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

+1

but if he goes through all that maybe he takes the master cylinders off too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
I hardly think so, Steve, but one never knows...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
I do not keep brake fluid anywhere in the system- I drain the calipers, lines and M/C. Just to go that extra step further, I also take the calipers apart to clean them- there are only two bolts and it is a lot easier to clean the caliper halves w/out having to work down in a well.

By the time my brakes need changing, the system could use new fluid anyway and it also gives me a chance to inspect the piston seals for any weepage before they leak like a sieve.

But that is just me and I realize that most people just push the pistons in and replace the brake pads.  ;)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
Nah, not the master cylinders. Only the calipers. But I do change the fluid whenever I change the brake pads (see other post).

This is one of the very few areas I am particularly careful about. One other area is wheel bearings; I check the seals every time I remove either wheel but especially the front. I will be changing my front seals this weekend and it is the second set on the bike in 62K miles. The seals no longer bear against the bearing spacers and that will allow water into the wheel hub and that will contaminate and corrode the bearings and THAT is always believed to be a bearing failure. Clean, lubricated bearings rarely fail or simply wear out and I think if you checked 100 motorcycles that had more than 15K miles or were more than two year old you would find a lot of the front wheel seals had failed to seal- maybe 20 at a wild guess. A lot of the front wheel seals I have checked were bad but it had not been noticed or even checked.

Brian

+1

but if he goes through all that maybe he takes the master cylinders off too

Offline xKLR

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
These calipers don't appear to have dust boots, so as the brake pads wear the pistons get exposed to the elements. Before pressing the pistons back into the caliper I'll clean them with purple stuff, water, and an appropriate brush. Then I'll flush the brake fuid. At 15k miles the brake pads are shot and will be replaced at the same time as my front tire. A new PR3 is in the mail.

-RC

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »
No dust boots but they do have dust seals, which look like an additional piston seal.

Brian

These calipers don't appear to have dust boots, so as the brake pads wear the pistons get exposed to the elements. Before pressing the pistons back into the caliper I'll clean them with purple stuff, water, and an appropriate brush. Then I'll flush the brake fuid. At 15k miles the brake pads are shot and will be replaced at the same time as my front tire. A new PR3 is in the mail.

-RC